What set do you recommend for my first build in 25 plus years?

pickleboy

Ok so I admit it's kinda weird that I spend so much time here and haven't put a set together in well over 25 years. What's even funnier is I have had about 10k worth of LEGO sets go through my hand in the 6 month and have about 130(ish) sets right now... I figure if I am going to do a set for the first time in forever, why not make it a good one!!! I want to build a set and I am going to let the Brickpicker community decide. It is going to go as a display piece somewhere in my house or office. i would like for it to be something that near EOL. As much as I want to build a set, I am in it for the $$ so I would like to find something that you guys think will still go up in value even after it has been put together. So far I was thinking... Tower Bridge (But I am not sure how cool these sets look by themselves.) UCS SSD Death Star (I know no one knows when this one is going EOL...but it's the friggin deathstar.) What other recommendations do you have?

The UCS Millennium Falcon is a fun build:) While I own all three that you have listed, I have only built the Death Star. I am sure it is much less monotonous than the other two, but it has its moments as well where you are doing nothing but light bley plates over and over. But at least you are building lots of different rooms to complete the diorama. If you have kids than that is by far the set that will get the most play as well.

I thought the Death Star II was a blast to build. Very little repetition considering its size, lots of cool details. If you can get your hands on a Grand Carousel, that one was excellent as well, especially if it's something you intend to display. Granted, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg assembly, but if you can find one used, I'm pretty sure you can build it and display it as long as you want, and when you're ready to part with it you'll be able to get at least your purchase price back. If you want to go further into the past, my personal all-time favorite would have to be the Technic Space Shuttle (8480). If you like motors and gears and all that stuff, it's an epic build that is great fun to show off when it's finished. -djm

The UCS Millennium Falcon is a fun build:) While I own all three that you have listed, I have only built the Death Star. I am sure it is much less monotonous than the other two, but it has its moments as well where you are doing nothing but light bley plates over and over. But at least you are building lots of different rooms to complete the diorama. If you have kids than that is by far the set that will get the most play as well.

If I had any rugrats they sure as hell wouldn't be touching my 350 dollar toy :)

Thanks for the input so far guys...

I would say the Death Star. It doesn't look the best (SSD by far), but as a first build, it is fun, plus it has a bunch of minifigs. For a display, I would say the SSD. Lots of repeating steps, but way worth it in the end. Tower Bridge does not look that good on its own. If you were to make a city around it, it would look a lot better. Not easy for this set to be a stand-alone display, and look good at the same time.

Of those 3 I'd go with the SSD. I've built one myself and while it is a little samey it's still pretty epic and looks great on display if you have the space. I'd actually go with 10225 R2-D2 if you have it. A great build and looks awesome on display. Or if you are into LOTR go for the 79003 Bag End set.

I'm confused. The OP was asking which was a fun build, not which is a great final result. SSD is maybe the worst build in all of Legos...just the same pieces over and over. Net result looks awesome but it is the most boring build there is. Of those three you mentioned, Death Star is the only one that doesn't make me want to blow my brains out with boredom.

I thought the VW Camper Van was a lot of fun to build and not too monotonous or difficult. Also cheaper and smaller count size than the others mentioned and can be displayed with pride. Roof assembly kind of sucks though. If you're just getting back into running you wouldn't start with the NYC Marathon so I don't know what you guys are thinking mentioning sets like SSD or Tower Bridge. Must be some kind of hazing ritual

The Haunted House is one of my favorite builds, and probably not as repetative as building an SSD. It's fun building floor by floor, and watching the house get taller as you build. Then building the mansard style roof is fun. It displays nicely too, especially for Halloween!!

If you're just getting back into running you wouldn't start with the NYC Marathon so I don't know what you guys are thinking mentioning sets like SSD or Tower Bridge. Must be some kind of hazing ritual

Yeah really. What are you guys huffing? Ha ha!

As far as what is currently available, a decent size, and one that I loved to build and display is CREATOR set 31006 "Highway Speedster". Nice assortment of pieces and looks very much like a Ferrari. Heck, even the alternates are good in this one! I can hardly wait for set 31011 "Aviation Adventures" to come out, that one is just so awesome!

I also got back into building not too long ago, almost a year now. The first set that I put together was the Grand Emporium. I did enjoy it a lot as it took my back to my childhood. Also was fun because my wife helped me putting it together. One of the sets that I have enjoyed putting together was the Maersk train. The engine was so detailed, I really enjoyed it. The downside were the three containers, mostly the same sequence for each one. Both sets that I've mentioned are great to display. Also depends if you have any display space constraints. I'd go with a modular, can't go wrong with any of those.

After years of not building I went for the Tower Bridge. I am a bit bias as I studied abroad in London recently. I currently have it displayed on a dresser and I think it looks fine. If it was just left on the floor it may look awkward alone. But on a table I think it looks fine. I can also add Team GB minifigures to it if I pleased. But if you want something smaller maybe go for a creature set? I have heard some of them, like the light house, is very nice. And you can build it three different ways!

Wow guys...thanks for all the feedback. I'm flattered! So I really wanted the SDD but I just don't have 4 feet of display space and I am not sure I need to jump in the "deep end" on my first build as you guys suggested. I think I am going to go with one of the modular sets. I have never been to the LEGO store so I will go next weekend to pick it out. (Although I went to LEGO kidsfest yesterday and I had never seen a DS live...was soooooooooooooo cool.)