Best Modular Set... for Building?

cheeka

So, it's my birthday coming up next month, and I've decided I'd love to get one of the modular buildings from my nearest and dearest - it'll be my first purchase in this range, and to be clear - I am going to build the living daylights out of it! At this stage, it's an absolute toss up between any of the sets currently listed on LEGO Shop at Home... I think they all look amazing so I'm turning to my fellow BrickPickers for some advice! Hit me with your finest - which set should I get to celebrate/commiserate adding another year to those I've already accumulated on this crazy planet?!

I'm assuming you are also an investor? If so I would get the cinema because it just became available and you will have plenty of time to pick up a few to invest in. If by chance you are strictly a builder then my personal favorite is the GE. You could get the GE or any other close to EOL and build it without having to worry about losing money if you are in fact just a builder/collector.

I have not built any, except 10230 Mini Modulars. But I would but the Grand Emporium. It looks the best and there are loads about so you might get one for a bargain. It might not make a load of money but you won't lose anything. But as you are planning to build doesn't matter that much.

Based on just the building experience I think the Haunted House is the best. I have built every modular except the Cafe Corner, Market Street, and the new Palace Cinema, but compared to all the others I've built, I enjoyed the Haunted House most!

I would agree with the Haunted House. It's awesome. I have built the Haunted House, Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, Grand Emporium and Town Hall. Just ordered the Cinema today from LEGO. Whatever you pick you will be really happy with in my opinion. Hey Rich, tell me your thoughts on the Green Grocer.

Wow, thanks for the input guys & gals! In all honesty (and I didn't think I'd ever find myself typing this!), the investment potential of the birthday modular is irrelevant to me - this is all about the joy of building something awesome that the most important people in my life have bought for me. It's not something I intend on parting with. I love my shopping as much as I love my Lego, and for that reason, I think the GE is probably the direction I'm heading in, especially after hearing it mentioned several times as a great build. The HH is a *very* close 2nd. Hey, whilst typing this response, I've realised that you've helped me reach a decision! GE for birthday - HH for my next personal purchase. I'll probably change my mind a hundred times between now and the big day ("but what happens if FB does go EOL...?!") but as of right now, GE is the way to go next month. Thanks folks - you are all awesome! Lego and out...

I actually started building a Vampire Castle at the weekend - not even half way through it yet, but what I've seen so far has given me a real taste for the Monster Fighters theme. Seems to have a winning combination of playability (yes, that still matters at 30 + a sprinkling of years!) and display potential. Definitely +1 in favour of the Haunted House, but I still think GE is top of my list.

I already have a nagging feeling that I'm going to get the modular bug as a result of this purchase, and with the length of time FB has been around, I'm wondering if I should try and get one of those sooner rather than later - I could definitely use the double VIP points to my advantage, and get both GE (present from family) & FB (present from meee!).

Of course, this is assuming Lego aren't going to pull HH any time soon.

I saw the Palace Cinema in our local store the other day - it is a beaut! Definitely one I'd like to pick up, but it isn't going anywhere for a good long while yet so it's one I can happily leave until the next AFOL day.

By the way, does anyone know how I can view the results of the poll? I only seem to have the option to cast my vote, but I don't think I'm qualified to do that just yet...