75954 - Hogwarts Great Hall

Val-E

This gonna sell like Doughnuts on the Fat Thursday.
For this price tag you get fair amount of bricks and handful amount of iconic characters from the movie.

I just don't know if the kids are still after HP...
But I think it's not that overpriced knowing it's a licenced theme.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Looks VERY incomplete. It would be nice to have it enclosed on all sides and have it hinged. An overpriced £84.99 in the UK?

It's not overpriced at all. 10 minifigures and a large set for this price is good. Price per part is irrelevant; these are large pieces. I bet it weighs more than 75054, which is about 1/3 technic pins.

This gonna sell like Doughnuts on the Fat Thursday.
For this price tag you get fair amount of bricks and handful amount of iconic characters from the movie.

But I think it's not that overpriced knowing it's a licenced theme.

I missed the HP black hole that consumed the entire world by a few years, and never tried to catch up. However, I have discovered that I am a part of a very small minority. My kids and their their friends are hooked, and their friends’ parents couldn’t wait to start the books.
Alas, I am hooked now, too! Can’t wait!

I'd buy it first day too.  You guys all saw the pictures of my HP collection in my closet.  I sold everyone of them..  A lot of them were parents buying for their kids who just started watching the movies.  Plus as long as they have Harry Potter Lands at Universal Studios, people are still interested in the theme.

1 hour ago, Shewie said:

Even in the last few years with HP dying down, there are always at least 4 or 5 kids going through my classroom (6th grade) who at some point during the year are reading HP for the first time, and this is usually from my recommendation or from one of the 3 or 4 other kids who love the series, are shocked others haven't read it, and demand they read it RIGHT NOW. So, HP still seems to remain pretty relevant from my limited experience. 

• Like 2

Considering the enormity of Hogwarts, I would wonder what other future set designs to be released that could also be connected to this starting point aside from the mentioned Whomping Willow. Only feature I find needlessly included is the rather small Basilisk. A creature of Leviathan proportions yet what is here being closer to a nigh matured hatchling of such a beast. Its inclusion as part of the build feels like somewhat of an afterthought.

2 hours ago, Fleck said:

Are the 2 cone pieces on the top center roof and middle of the tower new ??

I believe so. You can see this part featured in some of the new Disney sets coming out this year.

2 hours ago, Fleck said:

I am actually seeing many other pieces that look new to me. candles...triangle roof pieces. lantern ???

To add the sorting hat gets its own mold, a new rat piece I think (with different shaping and also printing) and the genie's lamp utensil now in white.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

OMG, that thing is supposed to be the basilisk?! Serious WTF 1f631.png Talk about demeaning an otherwise great set...

First of all, I had to google Basilisk (I have not watched these movies).  Then I had to go back and find where it was and thought it was the owl initially.  Yikes, that thing when glances just looks like a burn pile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I read all the Harry Potter books for my (now nearly 12 years old) son when he was a bit younger and he loved it. Will read the complete series of books to my daughter when she's reached the right age for it as well. There's something magical about the Harry Potter books that transcends other book-series aimed at the same age-range, which keeps new children get into the HP stories and mythology. 

With that said, I foresee another homerun for LEGO regarding these HP LEGO set remakes. :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Haay said:

I read all the Harry Potter books for my (now nearly 12 years old) son when he was a bit younger and he loved it. Will read the complete series of books to my daughter when she's reached the right age for it as well. There's something magical about the Harry Potter books that transcends other book-series aimed at the same age-range, which keeps new children get into the HP stories and mythology. 

With that said, I foresee another homerun for LEGO regarding these HP LEGO set remakes. :) 

Exactly. HP is an established saga as much as SW OT, GB or Indy like it or not. All these people who know the names of the characters, scenes and buildings would struggle to tell Emily Jones from her sister or name the Ninjago ninjas less still know the name of he villain in Nexo.

Edited by Val-E

Theme may have died off a bit here in the U.K however I've been able to sell the HP Lego Board game used for over £35 so there are still collectors out there. Those who grew up with HP are now older, probably well off but by the time this set retires there's a chance they'd have lost interest so it's not for me. I'm not sure I'd invest heavily in it, despite it being a great looking set.

From NY toy fair press release:

Bringing the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films to life in LEGO form in the second half of 2018, the new Wizarding World inspired building sets recreate the action-packed storylines from the films and feature a cast of fan-favorite wizards, Muggles and magical creatures – from Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger to Newt Scamander and more. Fans will also be able to collect their favorite Wizarding World characters in new LEGO BrickHeadz building sets.

More Brickheadz for Potheads.

5181068e47497072c4d66e43bc2805da

Edited by Val-E

It's a really nice looking set. The Basilisk should have just been left out as it has no relevance here (it's only seen inside the Chamber of Secrets) and it looks horrible and since when is it black?? 
I gotta say though, I'm a little underwhelmed as far as the size goes. I was really hoping for a big master piece that is to a larger scale than previous sets, but this set is more of a nice improvement on old layouts. I don't know... it's really nice, especially with all the unique pieces... I like big display pieces and was just hoping for something bigger... perhaps there will be lots of sets that can add on to make up an incredible display of Hogwarts. Fingers crossed!

6 hours ago, buidee said:

I'd buy it first day too.  You guys all saw the pictures of my HP collection in my closet.  I sold everyone of them..  A lot of them were parents buying for their kids who just started watching the movies.  Plus as long as they have Harry Potter Lands at Universal Studios, people are still interested in the theme.

yeah, that makes sense.. but are the parents really that much interested in these sets given their EVALUATED (= appreciated) value.. ? or do they just think "this is crazy, I buy the kids some nexo and get done with that.. "