75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Any seal codes available? Tomorrow I will receive my set for personal build so I can share it.

What do you think about the retiring set list published by rebelscum.com? 

Seems a bit early for BaCC in my opinion. 

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Nothing_Lasts_For_Ever_LEGO_Retiring_Star_Wars_Sets_185078.asp

Edited by OrangeChiliPeP

Instead of trying to make people believe in the no longer given creativity of their products by starting fancy marketing campaigns à la "Rebuild the World", TLG should better refocus on their products themselves. If they don't, money spent for developing flops like this will be burnt again and again and fans will get frustrated again and again - until LEGO are no longer the No. 1. The question is only: How many MORE mistakes does it take TLG to finally crash down?

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Instead of trying to make people believe in the no longer given creativity of their products by starting fancy marketing campaigns à la "Rebuild the World", TLG should better refocus on their products themselves. If they don't, money spent for developing flops like this will be burnt again and again and fans will get frustrated again and again - until LEGO are no longer the No. 1. The question is only: How many MORE mistakes does it take TLG to finally crash down?

It´s been proven time and time again that SW movie scene sets are not as popular as spacecraft (I count DS as a spacecraft rather than a scene). It´s a more niche product for completists and we could say that this set was much better than AoH or Ewok Village, to name two others. They know they sell few so the price compensates and if it really tanks they just cut production.

TLG is still turning double-digit profit figures so there is room for plenty more mistakes before they do a GM, Nokia or Blackberry.

We should  give them credit for integrating tech and apps in Hidden Side and new Power Functions but that is also a double edged sword as then you are relying on outside technology via Android and the compatible phones and at some point those items will be obsolete. They will also have to keep working on their own app so expenditure will rise.

Are they in a worse position than Hasbro, Playmobil or Mattel? Probably not and they can still get away with plenty lazy remakes to cater for the next generations of kids.

The whole plastic environmental issue is one thing that is out of their hands and that could eventually bring them down - even if the toxic waste from batteries from all these damn hybrid cars and one year-life-cycle fadphones is worse, yet no one is talking about it.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The whole plastic environmental issue is one thing that is out of their hands and that could eventually bring them down - even if the toxic waste from batteries from all these damn hybrid cars and one year-life-cycle fadphones is worse, yet no one is talking about it.

Plastic is fine as long as it is not dumped in quantity into nature. With LEGO, this is rarely a case.

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

That would make  it the shortest run UCS set, beating other Ultimate Turds such as B Wing, AoH and Anakin´s Interceptor.

Considering it was reduced by Amazon Germany almost from day one, I can believe it will retire out of sequence.

We've had the set at 45% discount in Netherlands already (including 2 Lego surprise boxes with 10 polybags each). Could not resist buying one at such a deal. I wonder how long this set will still last.

26 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yes, but we know that what causes problems is the public´s perception of an issue rather than the bare facts.

This sentence describes the whole 2010's politics so far...

But anyhow, back on topic. I think this is actually a good set for what it is, just way too expensive. I will get it at some discount.

• Like 2

My opinion on the set is that it sucks, not only from a reselling standpoint, but a toy/model position. The interior is obviously great, but without the roof to give it the completed cloud city look, it fails.

I think had LEGO completed the set with a removable top and higher price it would have sold for years to come. Given the UCS Falcon and Star Destroyer prices, I could easily imagine a completed set moving at a $500+ price point.

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

I think had LEGO completed the set with a removable top and higher price it would have sold for years to come. Given the UCS Falcon and Star Destroyer prices, I could easily imagine a completed set moving at a $500+ price point.

That sounds like a solid idea for a remake to me.  However, I do not know if LEGO want to invest much more money into improving this set though :dontknow:

16 hours ago, Val-E said:

That would make  it the shortest run UCS set, beating other Ultimate Turds such as B Wing, AoH and Anakin´s Interceptor.

Considering it was reduced by Amazon Germany almost from day one, I can believe it will retire out of sequence.

Local LEGO mgr told me they maybe sell one BaCC every 2-3 weeks.  They commented that the Tantive IV (NOT a UCS) is not selling well either. 

LEGO needs a totally new UCS set.  Something that hasn't been done before. 

I suspect the UCS MF remake is the exception to the recent UCS sales only because the original resell price was so out-of-reach for the rest of us poor people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Local LEGO mgr told me they maybe sell one BaCC every 2-3 weeks.  They commented that the Tantive IV (NOT a UCS) is not selling well either. 

I suspect the UCS MF remake is the exception to the recent UCS sales only because the original resell price was so out-of-reach for the rest of us poor people.

I think the set itself is fine, not the best or worst. The price point is outrageous. It should have been $300 or perhaps even $275 with a few slopes cut out. 

6 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Yes but which new set would have enough appeal? Nothing from the new films seems to be particularly badass or popular - Kylo´s TIE or Command Shuttle, which is now on it´s second iteration in playset?

Vader´s Castle could have been an option or maybe go back to larger busts.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Yes but which new set would have enough appeal? Nothing from the new films seems to be particularly badass or popular - Kylo´s TIE or Command Shuttle, which is now on it´s second iteration in playset?

Haven't most recent UCS sets been big busts?  ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Val-E said:

We could still have a UCS AT-AT, Jabba's barge / palace, Mos Eisley cantina...

But agreed in general, we are running out of decent non-obscure stuff. No wonder LEGO is doing rehashes, there is only so much you can reasonably do with the OT.

16 minutes ago, inversion said:

We could still have a UCS AT-AT, Jabba's barge / palace, Mos Eisley cantina...

But agreed in general, we are running out of decent non-obscure stuff. No wonder LEGO is doing rehashes, there is only so much you can reasonably do with the OT.

Don't forget the A-Wing, Tie Bomber, Medical Frigate, Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, and Gonk droid is beloved.

image.thumb.png.ef1f78cf06d9d3bb10d6232f2b998493.png

Sets are going to be upgraded and re-released... but they should use at least one of the UCS/MBS spots a year to give something new.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

I would love to see a UCS A-Wing but I suspect the failure of the B-Wing has killed any possibility of that ever happening. 

The only other ships I can think of people have asked for in UCS is AT-AT or a Venator Class Republic Attack Cruiser.

I agree, there is nothing in the new series that is iconic.  I like Kylo Ren's shuttle, now that they did it correctly (black, correct folding wings, etc.)  But I'm good with a playset and don't need it in UCS.  There is nothing else in the new movies that impresses me.  Then again, they haven't had any massive space battles where you get to see ships perform.  And I don't count Ren's measly attack with him + two tie fighters where they single-handedly kill nearly the entire command of the resistance as a space battle.  Or Poe killing 10 tie fighters within 30 seconds as a real battle either.  (pfff)

That UCS scale U-Wing looks cool (https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/02/07/ucs-lego-star-wars-u-wing-gunship-rogue-one/).  But I don't see people clamoring for it either.

Edit: Ah, yeah I forgot about the Tie Bomber - that would be huge.  But for some reason, Tie Fighters don't sell so well.  Probably the large redundant wings.

Edited by exracer327