75222 - MBS: Betrayal at Cloud City

TargetZero

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Shewie said:

Review is here.
Michał (Mike) confirms pretty much our initial expectations in this video.
He rates it 8 turds out of 10.
Ass ault on hoth all over again.

I just wonder what EVERYONE thought that the new Cloud City would be like.. the original is a "laughing stock" as for the originalinity. its flat, its awful, has no appeal.. yet, its still largely awarded and paid for.. why? - - this one may not be the absolutely perfect rendition of Cloud City, but its undeniable superior to its lame predecessor.. and yet we still get the negative comments how poor it is..

sooo.. whoever criticizes this.. what would you do differently? If you know that you have some boundaries to fit in such as max 4000 pcs.. ? 

33 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

sooo.. whoever criticizes this.. what would you do differently? If you know that you have some boundaries to fit in such as max 4000 pcs.. ? 

Because people love to *****.  The set is fine. I think the Lego community is just inundated with so many sets nowadays that unless it is a pitch perfect replica of their fan boy dreams it's going to disappoint.  I mean it is better than Assault on Hoth.  No question there.  Now that set was a disappointment no matter what anyone said.  Cloud City actually feels semi complete.  And if you are true AFOL you'll be able to modify it to make it better.  The essentials are there unlike Assault on Hoth.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, ChadWick1e46 said:

You are probably one of those guys that thinks hey....why do we need Hawaii?? Change the flag to 49 stars and save some dough! 

Dude mind blown your are so right... what were we all thinking?

lol

But dude have you ever been to Hawaii?  S**ts expensive there.  Like $8 for a gallon of milk.  So yeah 49 stars would be cheaper.  But totally dude, this set is just way too expensive for a homey like yourself.  Dude.

Another couple of hours tonight and through bag 9.  It got be a little pricey for me this week since my daughter convinced me to let her build a 10188 since, "You have so many and can't get rid of them, and you need one for your comparison video."  Yes, she got me on all my week points.  I have a 1,000 piece head start, but she has more time.

The not-surprise of the day is that my dreams of easily splitting this apart to display on a shelf are not going to come true.  The landing platform comes off for some reason, but that won't help it fit on a shelf.  What I have built so far will not come apart.

I think the color changes for the different area look great.  I still haven't been compelled to use any of the stickers.  I find it depressing that I feel amazed and thrilled when there is a printed control panel instead of sticker (the 1x2 tile in the freezing chamber section).

IMG_2951.thumb.JPG.1a6245ec7f0ec0b1ca006b91ef962299.JPGIMG_2953.thumb.jpg.619d2e5c45fca52a1ebe188a9928627a.jpgIMG_2956.thumb.JPG.e30b9fedfe7d3da6d90dd74339c56400.JPG

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mathew said:

Death Star is overly gray.  Cloud City is of course much more colorful.  I like this set just fine except for the price.  I take issue with all the griping about it being a play set:  Who says that AFOLs don't like play sets?  I'm sorry but building a giant, gray shell of Cloud City would be boring.  Unfortunately this set was going to be compromised no matter what.  From a business standpoint I think they should have leaned more towards a $280 price point and eliminated the dining room and a few other details.  I really like the included vehicles though.

B44A72C3-31B2-4E77-BCF2-729CD2C9A55F.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, crayxlp said:

I just wonder what EVERYONE thought that the new Cloud City would be like.. the original is a "laughing stock" as for the originalinity. its flat, its awful, has no appeal.. yet, its still largely awarded and paid for.. why? - - this one may not be the absolutely perfect rendition of Cloud City, but its undeniable superior to its lame predecessor.. and yet we still get the negative comments how poor it is..

multi layered vertical cross-section with opening outer panels. Structure that you can place against the wall and still be able to recreate most of the iconic scenes. Easy to display.
You can buy second one to make it round. The one released by LEGO is not even worth the comment. Whoever paid RPP for this set - I pity them.

• Like 1

People bash AoH… but I think this is FAR worse. AoH was definitely missing somethings and there were some mistakes (like the generator), but for what this set lacked, you could atleast add to it easily and with there being no main structure holding it together you could easily display this however you like. 

This set, however, would be hard to edit/add too without messing with the whole structure and how does one display this in a pleasing manor? Each section looks okay... Slave 1 is too small. Just looks like a bunch of scenes crammed together without much thought. 

This is the worst set ever released by Lego (that's with little thought though, similar to this design..)

OH!! And it's $400 CAD … Right, okay...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jimmajenga said:

People bash AoH… but I think this is FAR worse. AoH was definitely missing somethings and there were some mistakes (like the generator), but for what this set lacked, you could atleast add to it easily and with there being no main structure holding it together you could easily display this however you like. 

This set, however, would be hard to edit/add too without messing with the whole structure and how does one display this in a pleasing manor? Each section looks okay... Slave 1 is too small. Just looks like a bunch of scenes crammed together without much thought. 

This is the worst set ever released by Lego (that's with little thought though, similar to this design..)

OH!! And it's $400 CAD … Right, okay...

- worst set EVER? You probably havent seen a lot.. and got a lot to see.. 

6 hours ago, jimmajenga said:

People bash AoH… but I think this is FAR worse. AoH was definitely missing somethings...

Missing some things?  Let's see.... you have a set named "Assault" on Hoth and only include two snow troopers.  That's less than a battle pack.  Assault on Hoth is nothing more than a collection of $30 sets thrown together with a wall that opens and closes.  

6 hours ago, Mathew said:

Missing some things?  Let's see.... you have a set named "Assault" on Hoth and only include two snow troopers.  That's less than a battle pack.  Assault on Hoth is nothing more than a collection of $30 sets thrown together with a wall that opens and closes.  

$30 sets which were missing details (generator) or contained worthless things (like the crows nest) which were never in the movie.  Also the price ratio / part was better for AoH than BaCC.

Overall, I think this set, for what it was designed for as a very large play set, is a better product than AoH.  It definitely has better minifigures.  However, it's nearly 2' in diameter.  I've seen some collector's display areas where they have shelves in the middle of the room that people can walk around.  Not everyone has that kind of space available though.

I bet this will be discounted at some point, just not as deeply as AoH.  I picked up an AoH @ LEGO for $140.  That was the lowest price I saw.  Maybe one of you guys got a better deal.  At least AoH is good for MOCs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I bet this will be discounted at some point, just not as deeply as AoH.  I picked up an AoH @ LEGO for $140.  That was the lowest price I saw.  Maybe one of you guys got a better deal.  At least AoH is good for MOCs.

Same here I also won a sealed AoH awhile back and you’re right there is a lot more hoth Content out there to use AoH for Mocs. The Hoth medical chamber would have been a nice patch to add back then to a “UCS” set thst should have had hoth Leia in it anyWays. I find it ironic that over the last year we’ve got more updated hoth Leia’s after AoH retired. At least with the 75222 I agree that it is more complete minifig wise which is nice...but in many respects it’s very similar to AoH as far as the lack of exclusive prints or molds...I think the problem lies with the content, quality, and design as we have many examples of what Lego is capable of at $350. One of which is the ghostbusters fireHouse(many exclusive prints), or even the creator expert roller coaster to name a couple. 

So Shewie is right...no one likes to get rolled for over $100, and agreed I think the majority of peeps will hold out for massive discounts or double Vip. 

My sole interest in this set is purely for the minifigs and to canabolize the set for a cloud city moc but I’m in no hurry been piecing together for awhile now to go with the 75192 with brickstuff Premium light kit. So I hope you are right if this set plays out like AoH for discounts Later. 

D284B993-5934-4EB7-BF37-F6D051BB4AD9.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crayxlp said:

- worst set EVER? You probably havent seen a lot.. and got a lot to see.. 

This is $400 CAD though. Sure, there are definitely a lot of smaller sets that are worse. Like, how many small-medium sized sets include a wall of a building... one small wall with a few figs? Sure, that's worse, but it's affordable for basically everyone and the kids generally aren't as picky about details but are more interested in playability. Again, this is $400. I feel really bad for anyone that was really excited about this release and had been waiting for a new Cloud City. And like mentioned, most people don't have sufficient space to display a set this wide... sure the Falcon is in the same boat... but that's a masterpiece... this is very underwhelming to go out of your way to make it a centerpiece of sorts.

1 hour ago, jimmajenga said:

This is $400 CAD though. Sure, there are definitely a lot of smaller sets that are worse. Like, how many small-medium sized sets include a wall of a building... one small wall with a few figs? Sure, that's worse, but it's affordable for basically everyone and the kids generally aren't as picky about details but are more interested in playability. Again, this is $400. I feel really bad for anyone that was really excited about this release and had been waiting for a new Cloud City. And like mentioned, most people don't have sufficient space to display a set this wide... sure the Falcon is in the same boat... but that's a masterpiece... this is very underwhelming to go out of your way to make it a centerpiece of sorts.

I think that there are many sets e.g. in Technic line, that could qualify as worse than this. Technic's line sole purpose is to be played with - well not really enjoable if you do not have motorized functions powered enough so that they stuck every now and then or refuse to work at all . the latest atrocity is 42070 . while 42069 is really bad looking. id rather buy the Cloud City than 42070 (not mentioning that there is a reason why 42070 is so heavily discounted almost all the time.)

Edited by crayxlp

42 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

The fact that the C3PO figure is mismatched with different gold colors is disappointing for a set in this price range.  The later batches will probably not have this issue, but it's kind of funny that it has two different arms.

We Don't Care, We Don't Have To - We're The LEGO Company.

Image result for we don t care we don t have to

I have to admit, I wondered if LEGO would give us a C-3PO with only one arm.  Considering he was taken out by the stormtroopers upon arrival, most of the time we see C-3PO he is either in pieces or a torso with a head and one arm.  I wish LEGO would have given us a netting so Chewy could be carrying C-3PO.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...