Might this become the first DUPLO project to be made into an official Ideas set?

Frank Brickowski

39 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Parents are a big target audience...

They're a pretty big target audience for regular LEGO sets too...

But to answer your question: 59 days left and 6 supporters.  On what planet would this set get 10,000 supporters let alone satisfy the target demographic for duplo kids?

36 minutes ago, gregpj said:

They're a pretty big target audience for regular LEGO sets too...

But to answer your question: 59 days left and 6 supporters.  On what planet would this set get 10,000 supporters let alone satisfy the target demographic for duplo kids?

"Changes to Supporter Milestones and Targets

(...)

New projects will now have 60 days to reach 100 supporters. Once they reach that milestone, they’ll receive a one-year boost. The six-month boosts at 1,000 and 5,000 remain the same. While in the short term we’re adjusting the Days Left on some projects down, the change grants new projects an additional 60 days beyond the current two years to reach 10,000 supporters."

So, it's 59 of 60 days left.

• Like 1

Just now, Frank Brickowski said:

"Changes to Supporter Milestones and Targets

(...)

New projects will now have 60 days to reach 100 supporters. Once they reach that milestone, they’ll receive a one-year boost. The six-month boosts at 1,000 and 5,000 remain the same. While in the short term we’re adjusting the Days Left on some projects down, the change grants new projects an additional 60 days beyond the current two years to reach 10,000 supporters."

So, it's 59 of 60 days left.

Ahh, missed that. 

I still say no way it gets turned into an ideas set. White house sets are not the demographic target for Duplo.

8 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

I have to agree. I like the concept but too elaborate.

Concerning the "too elaborate for DUPLO" argument: As far as I can see, it is part of the idea's "different" concept to be "more elaborate" than you usual DUPLO set. I mean, kids are the ones who play with it, sure - and it's "just" a doll house in the end. But 2-year olds are NOT the ones building it according to instructions - this is the parents' part. So to me it is not too hard to see parents building it and the kids playing with it - which would mean, yes it is elaborate than other sets, but that does not take away from its playing opportunities. Just my pov. However, I think a DUPLO set should get a chance, and be it only to see "what happens". There have been so many "regular" Lego Ideas sets, why not give DUPLO a chance? After seeing 5 or 10 NASA sets reach 10,000, supporters could just give it a try.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

5 hours ago, hockeyweasel said:

I think it'd be funny to see the 10,000 Supporters 'In Review' tag on it and force it into their selection show.  It has my support!

I had kind of the same thought: What about the crowd "forcing" a DUPLO set into review just to challenge TLG a bit and see how they react. First of all they never excluded DUPLO sets form being uploaded, so it's all "legit" by their own rules.

20 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

But 2-year olds are NOT the ones building it according to instructions - this is the parents' part. So to me it is not too hard to see parents building it and the kids playing with it - which would mean, yes it is elaborate than other sets, but that does not take away from its playing opportunities. 

You met any 2 year old's recently, this isn't for them. This is what 2 year old's do with Duplo. Apparently this was a boat.

duplo.png

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:25 AM, Sprocket77 said:

You met any 2 year old's recently, this isn't for them. This is what 2 year old's do with Duplo. Apparently this was a boat.

That's pretty much what I said: "2-year olds are NOT the ones building it". Younger kids will just play with it. But the age recommendation for DUPLO is 1.5 to 5 years, so I don't really see a "problem" there.

That's pretty much what I said: "2-year olds are NOT the ones building it". Younger kids will just play with it. But the age recommendation for DUPLO is 1.5 to 5 years, so I don't really see a "problem" there.

Box might say 2 to 5 years, but 4 and 5 year old's aren't playing with Duplo, my three year old niece has even graduated from Duplo already. 

2 year old's don't play with buildings you make, they break them up and go freestyle, hence the boat above, or was it a castle that day, hard to keep track, they all look alike.

2 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Box might say 2 to 5 years, but 4 and 5 year old's aren't playing with Duplo, my three year old niece has even graduated from Duplo already. 

2 year old's don't play with buildings you make, they break them up and go freestyle, hence the boat above, or was it a castle that day, hard to keep track, they all look alike.

That would raise the questions why there are any "subject-themed" DUPLO sets at all, that are not just loose collections of pieces.

That would raise the questions why there are any "subject-themed" DUPLO sets at all, that are not just loose collections of pieces.

Because kids like bright and shiny things and parents and grandparents look at these and thing yes, little Timmy would like this. In reality I've found they're a waste and the box that gets played with most is the creative box, where she tips it out and just builds.

49 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Because kids like bright and shiny things and parents and grandparents look at these and thing yes, little Timmy would like this. In reality I've found they're a waste and the box that gets played with most is the creative box, where she tips it out and just builds.

So if the parents and grandparents are the ones with the money and they are the ones to like a product - the set idea seems just perfect for making money. Isn't that what TLG is up to in the end?

So if the parents and grandparents are the ones with the money and they are the ones to like a product - the set idea seems just perfect for making money. Isn't that what TLG is up to in the end?

You old cynic you.

Here's Lego's Mission Statement:

‘Inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow’
Our ultimate purpose is to inspire and develop children to think creatively, reason systematically and release their potential to shape their own future - experiencing the endless human possibility.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

You old cynic you.

Here's Lego's Mission Statement:

‘Inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow’
Our ultimate purpose is to inspire and develop children to think creatively, reason systematically and release their potential to shape their own future - experiencing the endless human possibility.

Is it really cynical to acknowledge that TLG choose Ideas projects based on marketability? Ideas has never been primarily about creativity, but about profitability.They'd never approve a very creative project that would lose them money. So in the end, the "cynical" part is theirs, because they call their platform "Ideas" and not "Products", which would be more appropriate. Still I don't see what's wrong about addressing target audiences (parents) in this case, too.

7 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Still I don't see what's wrong about addressing target audiences (parents) in this case, too.

Because this doesn't address any target audiences, do you really see parents sitting there going, you know what I really need, more elaborate Duplo. No wait, there's a name for that, what is it it, more elaborate Duplo, hmmmm, it's on the tip of my tongue, oh I remember, it's called Lego.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Because this doesn't address any target audiences, do you really see parents sitting there going, you know what I really need, more elaborate Duplo. No wait, there's a name for that, what is it it, more elaborate Duplo, hmmmm, it's on the tip of my tongue, oh I remember, it's called Lego.

Lego bricks can be swallowed by small children and are hard to handle for young kids. That is why there's Duplo. Parents play with their kids, so they DO care pretty much what's in a set.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, iahawks550 said:

Wow. That is horrid on so many different levels.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, Stud-Flipper said:

Lol, it's not even a very good model? 

What is a good DUPLO model in your opinion?

Today there's been an update comment to the project: 1,000 viewers reached, but only 39 supporters generated. Which means many people take a look at it, but only 4 in 100 users voted for it. Seems like most people would rather like to see another 50 NASA-related sets reaching 10,000 than any innovative ideas being successful...