Despite Soaring Sales

pickleboy

Although in this case, there is no stock price to worry about ;)

Understood... ;-). While TLG is a private company, the principal still applies. The Chinese can do it cheaper, but not better. First bricks, now boxes. This might be the downfall of the company IMO...not some LEGO bubble. When quality is questioned...which it surely will with each outsourced component, the once rock solid foundation of this great company will start to crack.

If the Chinese start making more bricks, will we see a difference in the product? I know that the shades of bricks coming out of Mexico are VERY slightly off from those of Denmark. If they outsource more brick production, we could actually have 3 different shades. Yuck.

I am rather upset by this news as it is very unlikely that Lego will lower the prices of the sets when the quality of the toys get lower. Recently, there have been many pieces that have "errors" in the printing such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-ERROR-One-of-a-Kind-Misprint-STAR-WARS-Ep3-WOOKIEE-WARRIOR-MINIFIG-WOW-/350607697311?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item51a1d8e59f Though this piece is several years old, Lego in the past has had an amazing track record of having quality pieces and toys, which makes this piece very valuable. I believe that moving production to China is a good move, IF the quality is maintained. Unfortunately, this probably will not happen. ;-(

I am rather upset by this news as it is very unlikely that Lego will lower the prices of the sets when the quality of the toys get lower.

Recently, there have been many pieces that have "errors" in the printing such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-ERROR-One-of-a-Kind-Misprint-STAR-WARS-Ep3-WOOKIEE-WARRIOR-MINIFIG-WOW-/350607697311?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item51a1d8e59f

Though this piece is several years old, Lego in the past has had an amazing track record of having quality pieces and toys, which makes this piece very valuable.

I believe that moving production to China is a good move, IF the quality is maintained. Unfortunately, this probably will not happen.

;-(

While the news that TLG has recorded record sales in 2012 is fantastic news for LEGO fans and investors, there is a underlying issue. I have to disagree about moving facilities to China, even if the quality is maintained. This outsourcing to China or other cheap labor countries only really benefits the companies(not just LEGO). They will spin it as they are keeping costs in check, but what is happening is that their bottom line in increasing and good paying jobs are leaving the US and Europe. Pretty soon, who will be buying these expensive LEGO sets(that haven't dropped in price because of outsourcing)? Not Americans, because half the country is on some sort of government support and all the new jobs being created are minimum wage jobs. Forget Europe, they are already one step ahead of us on the road to ruin.

There is such spin right now that the economy is doing better...the stock market is up...blah..blah...blah..., but how many of you work harder today than last year (or five years ago) for the same or less pay? Many I am sure. Too many people drinking the Kool Aid that the governments are feeding them. Bottom line is this, if a reputable and family orientated company like LEGO is making their high quality product in other countries than their country of origin, than what is next, the Corvette being made in China? Ferraris in Mexico? You see my point? What made a product and company great is diminished IMO. End of rant.

That's kind of a low thing to say.... seriously those people lost their jobs to China. Like China needs more of our money!

Im guessing this was in response to my reply. Those who have lost jobs have my deepest sympathies. I was just arguing against the assertion that lego is hurting themselves with this move ie hurting their own base.

Im guessing this was in response to my reply. Those who have lost jobs have my deepest sympathies. I was just arguing against the assertion that lego is hurting themselves with this move ie hurting their own base.

Yeah.... Lego (or any other big business) doesn't think much when they do something like that. I'm not against big business or the corporation, I am against giving American jobs to Mexico and China though. Power Currupt!!! Who's buying those outsourcing moguls off!!!

I'll continue to buy, build, and invest in Lego as long as the quality is acceptable, but I'm still saddened by this news. It fits a pattern at Lego and in the larger economy, though, so it does not come as a surprise. The old days of hand-packed display trays, sturdy boxes, and high quality instruction manuals printed by Factor-Druck are long gone.

I'll continue to buy, build, and invest in Lego as long as the quality is acceptable, but I'm still saddened by this news. It fits a pattern at Lego and in the larger economy, though, so it does not come as a surprise.

The old days of hand-packed display trays, sturdy boxes, and high quality instruction manuals printed by Factor-Druck are long gone.

My loyalty still remains with Lego..... as you said though "it's no surprise" we all should have seen this coming.