70618 - Destiny's Bounty

HandyHand

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Comparison video with money shot at 16:29

image.thumb.png.0121c5c422cc49ee501f1131fccb6745.png

16:35 is a better shot... ;) 

75105 is slightly larger. They both have some advantages and disadvantages.

-----------------------------

Regarding 70618 (this topic is about that set after all, not the MF) ... personally I don't have anything with Ninjago, but I do have this 70618 Destiny's Bounty on display in my living room, with the blessing of my wife who likes the look of it too. While she's not in favour of having a lot of LEGO in our livingroom. It's just a really beautiful rendition of a Chinese Junk boat and not likely to be surpassed by new Destiny Bounty releases in the future. In time this set will gain a status similar to the Pirates of the Caribean movie ships. Pretty certain of that.

Edited by HandyHand

Maybe. Remember it was not a D2C and that plenty Brits (and amazon uk customers) got them very cheap so we could be in a Desolation of Smaug type holding pattern.

Plenty said great things about the Temple and it didn´t do anything. I will stick with Elves as an easy cashcow - so much easier to store and sell lower price sets.

12 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Maybe. Remember it was not a D2C and that plenty Brits (and amazon uk customers) got them very cheap so we could be in a Desolation of Smaug type holding pattern.

Plenty said great things about the Temple and it didn´t do anything. I will stick with Elves as an easy cashcow - so much easier to store and sell lower price sets.

Only retired for a few months and on Marktplaats in The Netherlands sellers are asking a minimum of €130 for NISB and the highest bidder offers €125 already. Of course that's still well below MSRP of €170 but considering how cheap it was available through Amazon UK many times I think it's not bad at all. So I'm not concerned that this set will do well in the longer run.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rumors on Instagram of a 71705 Destiny's Bounty (1,718 pcs) coming.  That's less pieces than the 2017 model which had 2,295 pcs.  Hearing the rumor made me search for previous Destiny Bounty's, I didn't realize there was a 9446 Destiny's Bounty (680 pcs) in 2012.  I don't follow the TV show so I assume the 2017 is a remake of the prior version?  If so, not hard to suppose another Destiny's Bounty is around the corner.  Good time to sell the one I've got if true!

1 minute ago, MusiKyle said:

Rumors on Instagram of a 71705 Destiny's Bounty (1,718 pcs) coming.  That's less pieces than the 2017 model which had 2,295 pcs.  Hearing the rumor made me search for previous Destiny Bounty's, I didn't realize there was a 9446 Destiny's Bounty (680 pcs) in 2012.  I don't follow the TV show so I assume the 2017 is a remake of the prior version?  If so, not hard to suppose another Destiny's Bounty is around the corner.  Good time to sell the one I've got if true!

the designs are vastly different

The 2017 version has become iconic and in line w/ other great LEGO ships IMO. An eye catcher for even non-fans of Ninjago (like me).  

The 70618 Destiny's Bounty is set to have an iconic status like the pirate ships have as well (Black Pearl, Queen Anne's Revenge, Imperial Flagship). May take a while but it will get there. It's a brilliant set and one strong indicator for me is: my wife, who vehemently opposes our living room to turn into a LEGO room, likes the Destiny's Bounty set placed on top of the bookcase. And visitors who see it are all impressed by it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandyHand said:

The 70618 Destiny's Bounty is set to have an iconic status like the pirate ships have as well (Black Pearl, Queen Anne's Revenge, Imperial Flagship). May take a while but it will get there. It's a brilliant set and one strong indicator for me is: my wife, who vehemently opposes our living room to turn into a LEGO room, likes the Destiny's Bounty set placed on top of the bookcase. And visitors who see it are all impressed by it.

Would your wife pay Dutch RRP for one though?

59 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

https://brickset.com/article/48643/2020-summer-set-summary!

On BrickSet's summer set summary they seem to suggest the new Destiny's Bounty will be designed more closely to the "legacy version".  I think that will be cool to see, and as others have mentioned 70618 will continue to stand on its own.

image.thumb.png.162802dcb720973456ac917f14d30d03.png

They've really skimped on all the legacy versions so far, compared to the originals.

• Like 1