70618 - Destiny's Bounty

HandyHand

5 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

I just ordered a few of those from Iwoot like a week or two ago for $115 each... pretty sure that they have been on sale cheaper than that at other places as well. I believe this set will do well, but I won't be buying any more at RRP.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I bought all between 60 and 90 euro since introduction. There has been numerous deals at 50% off (approx 85 euro). Many people should be open to sell their overstock at 100 euro.

I have to admit I wasn't sure about loading up on these at the previous sale making these £50 each at Argos. Looking at ebay sales in the uk I'm very glad I got some, this set is selling very well over here. Pretty much all retailers have got shot of them and the only remaining are flooded on the bay. I can't remember a set selling so well after retirement on ebay, the mark down in price and christmas coming up will play a part but the signs are looking very good. A few weeks ago the set was averaging around £70 on ebay straight after argos sale and now around £80 with some days 10 sets selling. The fact that so many are selling is a very positive sign imo.

Only annoying thing is how shocking argos are with the boxes, pretty much every box I got was damaged but I have to just come to terms that argos really don't care about the way they handle lego boxes.

Edited by raulaco

34 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I have to admit I wasn't sure about loading up on these at the previous sale making these £50 each at Argos. Looking at ebay sales in the uk I'm very glad I got some, this set is selling very well over here. Pretty much all retailers have got shot of them and the only remaining are flooded on the bay. I can't remember a set selling so well after retirement on ebay, the mark down in price and christmas coming up will play a part but the signs are looking very good. A few weeks ago the set was averaging around £70 on ebay straight after argos sale and now around £80 with some days 10 sets selling. The fact that so many are selling is a very positive sign imo.

Only annoying thing is how shocking argos are with the boxes, pretty much every box I got was damaged but I have to just come to terms that argos really don't care about the way they handle lego boxes.

It was doing well here too. I sold one on amz for $225. Will have to see what this restock does to it.

I worry it will be like Brick Bank. Once it went oos it shot up over $300. A couple of amz restocked took it down. It' been around $250 since. 

1 hour ago, raulaco said:

A few weeks ago the set was averaging around £70 on ebay straight after argos sale and now around £80 with some days 10 sets selling. The fact that so many are selling is a very positive sign imo.

That's the key, really. A lot of people poo-pooed 75105, especially when the KRMF came out. However, they were extremely easy to get for about £60, and so easy to sell in large quantities for £130 a year later that anybody who bought loads was quids in. I would have bought loads more 70618s when they were last on sale, but sadly I am space-poor at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

That's the key, really. A lot of people poo-pooed 75105, especially when the KRMF came out. However, they were extremely easy to get for about £60, and so easy to sell in large quantities for £130 a year later that anybody who bought loads was quids in. I would have bought loads more 70618s when they were last on sale, but sadly I am space-poor at the moment.

Just a footnote that 7965 was also easy to get for 60 pounds and was selling for 260 1 year after EOL. I doubt the Kessel will ever get to RRP.

8 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Just a footnote that 7965 was also easy to get for 60 pounds and was selling for 260 1 year after EOL. I doubt the Kessel will ever get to RRP.

7965 retired Q4 of 2014. A year later 75105 came out and to many potential buyers it was a good enough (or even better) replacement of the 7965. 

Now the new MF for Episode 9 comes out and it has again improvements over 75105, which will make it very difficult to get rid of 75105 for anything higher than ~ €120.

At least the 70618 is unique and highly unlikely to be remade again. It's also way more displayable than a playset Millennium Falcon which gets rehashed every 4 years or so. :P 

Edited by HandyHand

7 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

7965 retired Q4 of 2014. A year later 75105 came out and to many potential buyers it was a good enough (or even better) replacement of the 7965. 

Now the new MF for Episode 9 comes out and it has again improvements over 75105, which will make it very difficult to get rid of 75105 for anything higher than ~ €120.

At least the 70618 is unique and highly unlikely to be remade again. It's also way more displayable than a playset Millennium Falcon which gets rehashed every 4 years or so. :P 

The joke's on anybody who still has 75105s. No MF is going to be anything other than a year hold these days.

3 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

The joke's on anybody who still has 75105s. No MF is going to be anything other than a year hold these days.

The Star Wars theme has been pretty much dead for Lego investing since Disney acquired Lucasfilm and started making the Episode 7 and subsequent movies.

20 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Well, we can´t say we didn´t have time to sell them. I reckon the bigger joke will be on the ones who bought Kessel.

32 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

We´ve had at least 3 Bounties so far so another one will come for sure. This is more like a UCS version so I think future ones will be smaller. Problem is finding people prepared to pay more than 150 euros for Ninjago - we´ve seen previous big Ninjago set struggle post EOL. Weirdly, with Minecraft it is not an issue.

23 minutes ago, Val-E said:

We´ve had at least 3 Bounties so far so another one will come for sure. This is more like a UCS version so I think future ones will be smaller. Problem is finding people prepared to pay more than 150 euros for Ninjago - we´ve seen previous big Ninjago set struggle post EOL. Weirdly, with Minecraft it is not an issue.

I do believe this bounty will get to at least 150 pound for sure in the uk. It is far superior to the older ones and will appeal to alot of people regardless of the ninjago theme. You can even make an argument for it being the best boat ever made. That's my thought anyway lol.

5 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I do believe this bounty will get to at least 150 pound for sure in the uk. It is far superior to the older ones and will appeal to alot of people regardless of the ninjago theme. You can even make an argument for it being the best boat ever made. That's my thought anyway lol.

i think will make that easy. only reason i didn't go all in at argos £50 was the fact that argos use lego as footballs.

50 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I don't think the Ninjago thing matters. 70618, as well as 70620 and 70657, are great sets on their own merits and don't require the buyer to have even the slightest interest in Ninjago. This applies to me, and I bought them all (and 70751). I've not seen the movie or TV show.

4 hours ago, raulaco said:

Jang even said he thinks its the best LEGO set (no caveat)...that's high praise from someone who definitely knows his LEGOs and have quite the following

6 hours ago, exciter1 said:

At this point, prices haven’t peaked yet. They are still rising, so too early to tell.

I´d give it 3-4 weeks or so to peak once the new one hits stores and Amazon.

Unless people really want old Han over Lando minifig, maybe.

Comparison video with money shot at 16:29

Edited by Val-E