How many sets is too many?

Hi,

I'm a collector / builder / investor in Lego. I have been collecting for a few years now and have around 80 sets. They vary from large to small. I tend to collect car based sets as this is a passion of mine, but also buy licenced sets be it Disney Star Wars or Pixar etc.

Although it's nice to see the value increase I will never sell them. I had little as a kid and my wife thinks I'm compensating - she may be right?. I do build some occasionally but really just love to collect. 

So how many sets is too many? At my current rate I will need a bigger house soon! Also I don't tend to display as I want to keep them nice and MISB.

....any thoughts or simlar types out there.

Morko

4 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

Welcome to the site, Morko. I suppose "too many" is when your living quarters becomes just that with only the bed and toilet space actually livable while the rest is storage.

fixed it for you.

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy

9,226 sets at the peak in 2016, now down to 2,131 (in secure warehouse) which are all Architecture and Ideas sets. These are separate to my personal collection of about 300 sets (at home and insured) which I won't sell..... yet!

Hi, well that sets the bandwidth then. I'm guessing you trade then. I have started to buy 2 or more of most things now. Especially if there are sets I want with hefty discounts.

It's funny I say that I won't sell some of mine but all things have their price I guess the hard part is deciding what that is? ...I'm loving Wall-e at the minute...I got a load for 19.98 each but can't decide if they have peaked or not.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Morko said:

Hi, well that sets the bandwidth then. I'm guessing you trade then. I have started to buy 2 or more of most things now. Especially if there are sets I want with hefty discounts.

It's funny I say that I won't sell some of mine but all things have their price I guess the hard part is deciding what that is? ...I'm loving Wall-e at the minute...I got a load for 19.98 each but can't decide if they have peaked or not.

WALL-E has a little way to go yet, but don't hold for too long. I think it'll peak in about a year and then either start to fall in value or be knocked-off by the Chinese. However, feel free to sell now if the profit is good as holding sets too long is risky.

WALL-E has a little way to go yet, but don't hold for too long. I think it'll peak in about a year and then either start to fall in value or be knocked-off by the Chinese. However, feel free to sell now if the profit is good as holding sets too long is risky.

The Chinese may copy but to me the value is in the originality, surely it's the collectors buying not the builders who may buy a cheaper version.

...The Chinese produce some great things, most of our products have some elements within them. However that said I would never buy Legos or alternatives. If I could copy IP and pay no licensing I could make stuff cheap too. I find it highly immoral and hope others do too. I know some can't afford that opinion and will buy the cheaper version and that I understand.

Rant over

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's already knocked off by the Chinese.?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, carini26 said:

It's already knocked off by the Chinese.

Wow, they have been busy!

Shame on them! I wonder why they even bother to rebrand it as bogus bricks.

Would like to look at one and assess the quality, I'm guessing it's quite good? These aren't fakes, but more a blatant cheaper alternative. I'm guessing the quality is good to gain repeat custom?

Can't see these being collectable alternatives to the real deal but hey I didn't think Trump it Brexit would happen.

at first, i immediate eliminated " π " from being an answer.  also threw out semi-logical answers that included storage space, budget, etc...

secondly, i  was about to go w/ "42" but that was too easy. 

then i thought "401" but that's subjective. especially since the trend here is picking investment sets basically by box size (the small vs. large debate).

finally, i gave Morko's ?s serious thought .  my final answer is "1".

43 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

No, it's been studied and the answer is 83. 

1 hour ago, Lordoflego said:

"Too many" is different for everyone. 

8 hours ago, Morko said:

So how many sets is too many?

8 hours ago, Morko said:

Although it's nice to see the value increase I will never sell them. I had little as a kid and my wife thinks I'm compensating - she may be right?. I do build some occasionally but really just love to collect. 

How many is too many?  One past the point when your wife starts complaining about them.

• Like 4