How will eBay's Global Shipping program impact the Lego market?

nolanfan34

Seems like it could only be good, no? I don't sell much, but have a few auctions going right now and was surprised when I logged in the other day to see that I was eligible for the Global Shipping program. It sounds completely awesome for those who have not read about it - sell to selected international countries, mail your package domestically for a set rate, and eBay reships and handles customs, etc. Given what our friends around the world say regarding prices, shouldn't this have two effects? 1. Impact the price of current series sets. I would think you would see fewer deals for current series sets. Right now it seems a lot of sets can be had for lower than retail, even including shipping. 2. Increase the secondary market impact. Seems like simple economics here no? Bigger market for secondary buyers? I can't really see the downside in it, although I'm sure it is there. Thoughts?

This is game changing. Up until now fraud was rampant with international shipping and "item not received" claims. Now that eBay will assume the risk and you're only responsible to get the packages to them it will open up whole new markets of Lego collectors. Of course, people will also have to play by the rules and pay their import taxes now too :)

I think it can be a huge plus (after it has been up and running for awhile and all the kinks are worked out) for shipping to locations that have solid emerging economies and an appetite for Lego. As for the downside, it might make it tougher on retailers in, I don't know, say, Australia (from everything I've seen, the regular retail prices there are painful) that have to compete with people buying current sets below retail in the USA and using this shipping service. If ebay is a big enough customer, I think they might be able to get much cheaper rates to ship to Asia/Australia then I can at my local post office. That might put some serious pressure on those local retailers - and possibly even the S&**** sites for some countries.

This is game changing. Up until now fraud was rampant with international shipping and "item not received" claims. Now that eBay will assume the risk and you're only responsible to get the packages to them it will open up whole new markets of Lego collectors. Of course, people will also have to play by the rules and pay their import taxes now too :)

Is it clear that eBay assumes all of the risk? I also don't know the answer to the repackaging question, I have not seen the answer on the site. Anyone know? Or have shipped this way already?

I haven't heard much about this, but color me intrigued. So the Ebay service is just like what places such as Shipito.com do now? Will it be cheaper? In the end it all comes down to price for the overseas buyer. Who pays the cost for shipping from the seller to Ebay, does Ebay then add a charge etc.

I think this will be HUGE, not only for Lego investors but anyone who sells just about anything. Different products and different versions or those various products are offered all over the world, imagine if we could interact WITH CONFIDENCE that this program, hopefully, provides. I might try a few products and see what happens... Someone on another thread said they had signed up but hadn't sold anything yet. I wonder if that has changed...