Ideas #015: 21306 - Yellow Submarine

dcdfan

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Well... you still have plenty of time to buy it. 

If I have learned one thing till now it is not to buy sets at RRP on release date. Or you have to be a flipper pro. Which I am not.

Don't buy anything at RRP at all - period!

The only exception would be a genuinely limited set (sold at LEGO only) like the Mars Rover or 41999 Crawler.

I no longer buy run-of-the-mill sets unless they are >50% off and is HAS to be a decent set. I bought Friends sets at 66% off once (eg. 41007 Pet Salon RRP £29.99) and still lost as I could only get £11 at the most which was a loss after fees and packaging, WTF! - never again! However, I would by the roller-coaster but, it'll have to be 60% off!

There's no such thing anymore as an exclusive set and it's now commonplace to see >25% knocked off "Exclusives". LEGO should really change the headings on their descriptions to "Extremely easy to find in vast quantities everywhere". Who has ever had a problem finding a VW Camper for example?

Those who pay RRP for a set (without promo) need their cerebrum evaluated IMHO.

3 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Littlewoods.ie were selling this in their 3-for-2 yesterday. Sold out now but it's a sign of things to come. This will be widely available and discounted heavily before its done.

Don't Littlewoods jack up prices?

I've bought 2 in order to build 1 and give the other as a Xmas present to a mate who's a massive Beatles fan, likes "Executive Toys" on his desk but hates LEGO so, I think the YS will turn him around. The Snow Globe (sold for £35) and VIP makes them £30 each ;-)

Good offers will return and I'll then go in big closer to EOL if the mojo is there.

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Since when has this been marked down at US SAH?

Seems like TBBT last year, they have made too many...

I just went to PM some Adventure Time at TRU.  They had zero Adventure Time, zero Caterham, and 50+ Beatles Subs.  Perhaps you might be on to something...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I just went to PM some Adventure Time at TRU.  They had zero Adventure Time, zero Caterham, and 50+ Beatles Subs.  Perhaps you might be on to something...

Two annotations reagarding the question of "too many produced" or not:

a. Limit for the discounted Submarine in the US website is 2 (two).
b. I wouldn't call it surprising that YS is the least favorite Ideas set in a TOY SHOP. I mean, how many 50-year old kids do you know? That's why I don't necessarily see your observations as a proof for the YS being a bad seller and/or having been over-produced (as per @Val-E).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

b. I wouldn't call it surprising that YS is the least favorite Ideas set in a TOY SHOP.

Possibly, but the non-kid targeted Caterham at RRP + $10 is sold out while sitting next to tons of Speed Champions that are far more appealing to kids and significantly cheaper, while there are 8 full rows of YS in three different spots in the Lego section.  This is just an accumulation of anecdotal evidence being used for speculation.

• Like 1

Possibly, but the non-kid targeted Caterham at RRP + $10 is sold out while sitting next to tons of Speed Champions that are far more appealing to kids and significantly cheaper, while there are 8 full rows of YS in three different spots in the Lego section.  This is just an accumulation of anecdotal evidence being used for speculation.

AFOL LEGO nerds like to pretend they're car guys and like to pretend they like music like AC DC, Metallica, etc. They don't like to admit they're old men who really do like music from decades ago and like little kid's toys.

I say that tongue in cheek but I absolutely agree with Frank B that fans of the Yellow Submarine set likely aren't picking them up at the toy stores. Sets like Caterham probably did get less stock but adult buyers (lets face it, most ideas sets are being hunted by adults "for their kids") will want to hold that box in the store and pretend they're driving it.. it's like buying a car. You don't buy them on Amazon because you can't test drive it (at least not yet).
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gregpj said:

AFOL LEGO nerds like to pretend they're car guys and like to pretend they like music like AC DC, Metallica, etc. They don't like to admit they're old men who really do like music from decades ago and like little kid's toys.

I say that tongue in cheek but I absolutely agree with Frank B that fans of the Yellow Submarine set likely aren't picking them up at the toy stores. Sets like Caterham probably did get less stock but adult buyers (lets face it, most ideas sets are being hunted by adults "for their kids") will want to hold that box in the store and pretend they're driving it.. it's like buying a car. You don't buy them on Amazon because you can't test drive it (at least not yet).

At least I like the right music, so I don't have to pretend.

• Like 3

LEGO missed out capitalizing on the Justin Bieber craze

54 minutes ago, gregpj said:

At least I like the right music, so I don't have to pretend.

My best friend growing up was a huge Metallica fan mixed with a bunch of different styles like R.E.M. and The Tragically Hip. Turned me into a fan too.

I like cars but I just can't bring myself to collect all of the LEGO cars any more (big or small). And this YS is neat but too many ideas sets to collect have turned me off as well.. I stopped before BBT and the Maze.

I often wonder there must be others like me... too many sets in a theme to collect/build/display. And those who are replacing us (I believe they do exist) .. what are they buying? My money is not on The Maze, YS and sets like them but rather Caterham and the yet to be released women of NASA and Apollo sets.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

I thought you were talking about the same kind of music here because the best AC/DC and Metallica was decades ago.

Edited by fuzzy_bricks
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I thought you were talking about the same kind of music here because the best AC/DC and Metallica was decades ago.

:)

Beatles go just a wee bit further back and fall more into the "easy listening" category. Don't get me wrong, I think many people like and appreciate The Beatles but are they also into LEGO? We sure know that middle aged men like LEGO... walk into my LEGO store any Saturday afternoon and some 40 year old man is there scoping out the LEGO sets looking to get nerdy on a Saturday night. :P

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gregpj said:

:)

Beatles go just a wee bit further back and fall more into the "easy listening" category. Don't get me wrong, I think many people like and appreciate The Beatles but are they also into LEGO? We sure know that middle aged men like LEGO... walk into my LEGO store any Saturday afternoon and some 40 year old man is there scoping out the LEGO sets looking to get nerdy on a Saturday night. :P

I was just trying to say that someone in the middle aged range, may not have to pretend to like AC/DC or Metallica, because that music would have been more in line with their age.  The Beatles would have been more likely to be their parents music.  We may be saying the same thing here, the Yellow Submarine falls outside that middle age demographic.

• Like 1

I was just trying to say that someone in the middle aged range, may not have to pretend to like AC/DC or Metallica, because that music would have been more in line with their age.  The Beatles would have been more likely to be their parents music.  We may be saying the same thing here, the Yellow Submarine falls outside that middle age demographic.

I think we are... I was just poking fun at the 80s and early 90s and by extension things like the heavy metal tshirts people wore.

The irony is that all the nerdy guys who are now in their 30-40-50s are a big part of the target audience of resellers. LEGO knows this too.... speed champions anyone?