Too many new sets, good or bad?

I look at the number of sets released just in the past month and I wonder how anyone can keep up. I have looked around on the Internet and it appears that the number of different sets that have been released over the past few years has increased with every year. My question is this, how will it play in the secondhand market. On the plus side EOL will come faster to make room for new sets. This will make it so not as many people get them when they are on the shelf thus increasing value. Also because there is more variation every investment won't have a copy of every set, so the number in the second hand martlet will be lower. On the negative side if there are tons of sets released each year does this cause buyers to forget about the old and stick with the new? Sure ninjago is cool now but in 2014 it could be replaced by loc and in a few years replaced by something else. Also why pay above retail for the Star Wars ship I have when a new one comes out a year later? No one has the real answers but this is the question I posed when I see 4 month old sets being clearanced out at the local Meijer to make room for new ones.

I think it'll mean one cannot just blindly pick any set and hope it will appreciate in value. It will take some discernment to truly find the winners out there.

This. Unless you have a ton a cash and space, you can't buy them all. But the ones you pick will make a big difference whether you make money or not.

Yes - I was in the same boat - I find it disorienting to decide which sets to buy for investment purposes.. so I reduced it down considerably by focusing only on sets that I find cool and I actually would want to open and build. Not many sets get that kind of distinction from me, but it helps me feel more confident about my buying decisions. Tower Bridge, Imperial Shuttle Kingdom Jousts are some of the recent examples that I bought.