2016 Summer Olympics Rio Discussion Thread

Alpinemaps

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Crap. Wonder if I can catch a stream of that. Not sure what happened, but I love all of the distance runs.

Gotta figure out when the marathon is. I'll sit glued to the TV for the entire 2 hours.

It was ridiculous, that record stood for 23 years and was one of the dodgiest records out there and this girl in her second 10,000m race knocks 14 seconds off the record. Hmmmmmmmmm, dum di dum.

Although 18 of them ran personal bests which is a bit crazy.

Boy is Rio a mess or what. All those barricades that someone left on that track. These poor women having to jump over these things and acting like its no big deal. I'd at least be pissed about the standing water in the way, that no one took the time to clean up. But nope, they're all good sports about it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, dcdfan said:

Boy is Rio a mess or what. All those barricades that someone left on that track. These poor women having to jump over these things and acting like its no big deal. I'd at least be pissed about the standing water in the way, that no one took the time to clean up. But nope, they're all good sports about it.

Funny, I ran in a race with just those same conditions years ago, only once mind, got sense after that. Everyone gathered around the standing water roaring at you to fall in, nice folk :mosking:

• Like 2

That marathon this morning was great to watch. I missed the first hour (just couldn't wake up in time) but caught it just before half way.

What is nuts to me - I used to run and these woman are running a full marathon in the same time it took me to run half that distance. I just can't imagine keeping up that pace for 26 miles

52 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

That marathon this morning was great to watch. I missed the first hour (just couldn't wake up in time) but caught it just before half way.

What is nuts to me - I used to run and these woman are running a full marathon in the same time it took me to run half that distance. I just can't imagine keeping up that pace for 26 miles

I'm with you @Alpinemaps. I've run several marathons and I'm happy when I run under 4 hours.

Just watched it with my son. He was cheering for Bolt over the American. Can't say I blame him ;-)

I'll admit I was cheering for Mo (from Britain) in the 10,000 M last night. And the Belarussian in the Marathon today....until she fell behind. Then I was cheering for the Kenyan to bring home their first gold.

6 hours ago, dcdfan said:

Good grief. Ryan Lochte and 3 others were robbed at gunpoint. Is this the most dangerous Olympics ever or what.

It's sad, but that's the risk you take in Rio leaving the Olympic village.  What's worse is the IOC denying it ever in reports inroad in the media. 

• Like 1

I no longer have cable but I have watched every men's 100m dash since 1996 and it is the one event that I find to be appointment viewing at every Olympics and this year's race was really exciting. I like watching other events too, but I always make time to watch this event live, or on 6 hour tape delay if you're an American stuck with NBC.

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The Rio Olympics is now TMZ fodder for the next several weeks. Death Star (obligatory mention)

Fixed that for you.

:mosking:

You guys got nothing on us, we've had the head of our Olympic committee arrested for touting and our boxers cheated out of wins by the Russians. This will be news for months :read:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Fixed that for you.

:mosking:

You guys got nothing on us, we've had the head of our Olympic committee arrested for touting and our boxers cheated out of wins by the Russians. This will be news for months :read:

I saw that interview your boxer gave.  I felt for him.

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

I saw that interview your boxer gave.  I felt for him.

It was very raw when he was being interviewed there. He gave a more measured interview yesterday and said the referee was telling him to keep his head up even before the fight, which is very strange and kept doing it when he was on top and she'said not one of the officials they sent home.

The Russian who "beat" him was too badly beaten up to fight in the next round, go figure. 

It was very raw when he was being interviewed there. He gave a more measured interview yesterday and said the referee was telling him to keep his head up even before the fight, which is very strange and kept doing it when he was on top and she'said not one of the officials they sent home.

The Russian who "beat" him was too badly beaten up to fight in the next round, go figure. 

Judges have been sent home... A Canadian boxer who was fleeced on a decision gave a good interview outside of the athletes village. Basically said the judges are pushing their own athletes to gain notoriety for the own leagues.