Ideas #014: 21307 - Caterham Seven 620R

dcdfan

5 hours ago, dmind said:

Sale started midnight, took 11 hours to sell out and you missed it? ;) Nevertheless, last night chose not to buy, time will tell if wise or not...

The man said he was having breakfast. Never skip breakfast or your decision making will be impaired and you´ll end up ordering 20 of every Brickhead and Aira´s Airship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy

After driving a real Caterham 360, I'm not surprised that there's not many on the roads. A shopping trolley with a missing wheel is nicer to drive! A very niche car and this model might me too.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

After driving a real Caterham 360, I'm not surprised that there's not many on the roads. A shopping trolley with a missing wheel is nicer to drive! A very niche car and this model might me too.

There's not many on the roads but I have yet to turn up to a track day and not see at least 2 of these lining up to go out. They are complete rocket ships in the right hands. The design has lasted 60 years for a reason.

Theres plenty of petrolheads out there who have fantasies of having a well tooled garage and building one of these when the kids have finally fooked off.

How that translates to Lego sales I really couldn't say, but it definitely has a large fan base, especially in the UK.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Of course you don't see that many, they are track / weekend cars. You don't buy a Caterham to commute to work or go shopping. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I didn't say that I drove it on the road. It was at Thruxton where the Ford single seater and Ariel Atom won it for me.

In that company I can understand why it would come bottom of the list.  Formula Ford's are great fun, especially that extra factor of no one being there to stop you doing something stupid and flying off the track at high speed. Concentrates the mind. 

I'm going up to the next level this year and trying out the Formula Renault

45 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

This looks to be a big winner already. £52.50 in the SaH sale and selling for £80-85 on eBay despite still being available at John Lewis. Gutted that I prioritised the Yellow Subs over this.

Seems to be what a lot of people have done. For a quick return I'd rather have 2 of these than 3 ys for same money.

I might have to look at deep discounts on these for the US if you're already seeing good return in the UK. As with the Beatles, hard to gauge the US appreciation for such UK centric icons. I have seen the set dip rather low before Christmas. Given its retired in the UK, might need to keep a close eye on movement.

I might have to look at deep discounts on these for the US if you're already seeing good return in the UK. As with the Beatles, hard to gauge the US appreciation for such UK centric icons. I have seen the set dip rather low before Christmas. Given its retired in the UK, might need to keep a close eye on movement.

Note that the Caterham is probably more regionally aligned to U.K. than Beatles. Given that it was never discounted and only available in John Lewis and Lego it won’t have been as hoarded as other ideas sets, so expect this to do well in U.K. For other regions depends if the Caterham is a well known brand that will generate interest. If so it will do well

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Only problem with JL is their tendency to send sets in plastic bags. 

Nearly all retailers do now, but at least the IDEAS boxes (not 21309) are quite robust. My last 3 JL orders have all been OUT of factory boxes and in bags, but still bubble-wrapped - a bit like Tesco. Asda used to be good, but I refused my last entire C&C pick-up as the first 2 bags I picked up had squashed boxes. Taking extra care doesn't cost them, but returns do!

By the end of 2018, boxes may be a thing of the past.

We now need boxes as it also means less plastic for landfill since the Chinese embargo.

BTW... JL allow 10 in basket.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Only ASDA / George deserves recognition, rest is a turd.
Just got my Apple Watch 3 in bin bag in completely smashed outer (which was rather robust) box from JL.

Same with DJI Spark from Currys. Carton box after delivery looked like a Dough ready to be baked.
But I was desperate enough to accept it before I've got this day before my holidays.

Tesco - trash
Currys - trash
Asda - ok, can't complain.
Argos - terrible trash.
TRU - same front line P1/P2 among with Argos
JL - trash. (single layer of buble wrap won't do the job)

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Shewie said:

Only ASDA / George deserves recognition, rest is a turd.
Just got my Apple Watch 3 in bin bag in completely smashed outer (which was rather robust) box from JL.

Same with DJI Spark from Currys. Carton box after delivery looked like a Dough ready to be baked.
But I was desperate enough to accept it before I've got this day before my holidays.

Tesco - trash
Currys - trash
Asda - ok, can't complain.
Argos - terrible trash.
TRU - same front line P1/P2 among with Argos
JL - trash. (single layer of buble wrap won't do the job)

It's sign of the times as retailers cut corners and use "My Herpes" to save packaging and shipping costs. However, this will soon bite them on the arse when they have to deal with lots of returns. I've already moved from delivery to collection when I can with all online orders. I rejected my entire Asda collection recently and they used to be the best. A box of the right size only costs pennies in the trade and there's lot of free internal packaging that can be used. I use mainly Metro newspaper and yesterday's unsold papers from my local newsagent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...