Ideas #014: 21307 - Caterham Seven 620R

dcdfan

3 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

First impressions are disappointing. It lacks all the nice details of the original, which I suspected it might. The black mudguards totally kill the look. No grills on the rims...no windscreen.... It looks more like a modern production sports buggy than a vintage classic.

It's actually pretty faithful to the current production, I can understand Caterham choosing this model to put forward their flagship (the 620r is the fastest Caterham in production).

caterham.jpg

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

Disappointing yet again. I don't know what the designers are smoking these days but, I wouldn't want to try it. Then again the Delorean was hideous and look at it now!

1 minute ago, Pomodoro said:

It's actually pretty faithful to the current production, I can understand Caterham choosing this model to put forward their flagship (the 620r is the fastest Caterham in production).

Ok that makes sense. I didn't even realise there was a current production model. Pity, I prefer the vintage one.

• Like 1

It is pretty faithful to the 620R. However this fact just does not save that color choice. It might look and feel different physically though. Some sets just have this 'ugly as hell on pictures but looking amazing in real life' syndrome.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, inversion said:

It is pretty faithful to the 620R. However this fact just does not save that color choice. It might look and feel different physically though.

My guess is they didn't want a color too similar to one of the Creator cars.

Here's the color chart from Caterham:

paint.png
If you look at pictures of the car in these colors, the blue looks like the beetle, the green like the mini, the black would be pretty bad for shaping and the orange-red too close to the F40, that leaves orange and yellow.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

First impressions are disappointing. It lacks all the nice details of the original, which I suspected it might. The black mudguards totally kill the look. No grills on the rims...no windscreen.... It looks more like a modern production sports buggy than a vintage classic.

No steering either. It all explains the low sticker price. Staying well away.

1 hour ago, Pomodoro said:

My guess is they didn't want a color too similar to one of the Creator cars.

Here's the color chart from Caterham:

paint.png
If you look at pictures of the car in these colors, the blue looks like the beetle, the green like the mini, the black would be pretty bad for shaping and the orange-red too close to the F40, that leaves orange and yellow.

Well, Caterham also mentions that you can get any alternative colour on request, so there are a lot more options than those six.

21 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Well, Caterham also mentions that you can get any alternative colour on request, so there are a lot more options than those six.

There's no way a sports car company will ever greenlight a realistic toy in a custom color. I'm already surprised that Porsche accepted the Lego construction orange for Lava orange on 42056, I would have expected them to require the exact tone for such a premium product.

12 hours ago, inversion said:

It is pretty faithful to the 620R. However this fact just does not save that color choice. It might look and feel different physically though. Some sets just have this 'ugly as hell on pictures but looking amazing in real life' syndrome.

I'm trying to figure out why it has off-road tires. Is that an option too?

But I suspect you are right. I don't think the angle of the picture or the black background are very flattering to the cars lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

Hmm, kind of small for $80 (price per brickfan)

Don't understand that sentiment, unless you think other LEGO cars (Creator brand) are also overpriced. Mini is $100 (so 25% more), measures 1" less long, 1" less wide and only 1" taller ..... I'm guessing this set has right around 800 pieces (just looked it up, 773 so yes). Similar ppp ratio as Mini (give or take) which has 1077 pieces for $100 (okay, the extra pieces there are for the picnic basket - so perhaps $75 would have been the more comparable price). Still, I don't think this is much overpriced. Like it A LOT.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

Don't understand that sentiment, unless you think other LEGO cars (Creator brand) are also overpriced. Mini is $100 (so 25% more), measures 1" less long, 1" less wide and only 1" taller ..... I'm guessing this set has right around 800 pieces (just looked it up, 773 so yes). Similar ppp ratio as Mini (give or take) which has 1077 pieces for $100 (okay, the extra pieces there are for the picnic basket - so perhaps $75 would have been the more comparable price). Still, I don't think this is much overpriced. Like it A LOT.

Hmm, perhaps I should have said Mini Cooper and F40 look much more substantial for just $20 :dontknow: