Possible Canada Post Lockout/Strike

Vodium

On 7/1/2016 at 10:05 AM, jonkiller said:

I'm working at canada post and just to correct this will not be a strike but a lockout! But nothing sure at this moment!

Looks like you called it right.. lockout on it's way.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/07/05/canada-post-issues-72-hour-lockout-notice-to-union.html

Ugh... I hope they sort this out quickly. I've got soooooo many polybags to sell and get rid of. :(

So who's taking ebay's advice and keeping their listings up? I am, in hopes that at the least I can attract some watchers for after the lockout concludes.... 

In the past week I've sold a couple polybags or lettermail sized sets and cleared with the buyers whether they wanted me to wait for a news verdict (no 72 hour notice on those sales yet), or to ship immediately. Both requested ship now so I did. 

Had a sale yesterday though. Contacted buyer with my question and have heard no reply. I offer 2 business days shipping turnaround, so technically since the service is running until Friday, I can still ship within that window..... but if I don't hear from the buyer, I'm highly inclined to hold on to the set and wait it out... at least it's in my control that way, rather than halted somewhere along the line from BC to Ontario. Would others concur with this gut feeling, or would you ship now while the window is still technically open? 

Edit: Given the circumstances and the official notice from ebay, do sellers expect backing from ebay in both scenarios [given no responses from buyer]? Or do you/we only expect backing if the item is in shipped status and gets stuck? Probably pure guesswork, doubt many/any here have dealt with this before in relation to lego selling... 

Edited by Zelgazra

1 hour ago, Zelgazra said:

So who's taking ebay 's advice and keeping their listings up? I am, in hopes that at the least I can attract some watchers for after the lockout concludes.... 

In the past week I've sold a couple polybags or lettermail sized sets and cleared with the buyers whether they wanted me to wait for a news verdict (no 72 hour notice on those sales yet), or to ship immediately. Both requested ship now so I did. 

Had a sale yesterday though. Contacted buyer with my question and have heard no reply. I offer 2 business days shipping turnaround, so technically since the service is running until Friday, I can still ship within that window..... but if I don't hear from the buyer, I'm highly inclined to hold on to the set and wait it out... at least it's in my control that way, rather than halted somewhere along the line from BC to Ontario. Would others concur with this gut feeling, or would you ship now while the window is still technically open? 

Edit: Given the circumstances and the official notice from ebay , do sellers expect backing from ebay in both scenarios [given no responses from buyer]? Or do you/we only expect backing if the item is in shipped status and gets stuck? Probably pure guesswork, doubt many/any here have dealt with this before in relation to lego selling... 

In your situation, I would ship the parcel (with tracking of course). If you read the notice, they are taking part of the responsibility of notifying people who are purchasing items of potential shipping delays. If the buyer complains, eBay must take responsibility and remove negative feedback as per their email.

In my situation, I was just about to start listing items again but I'm not going to. It's just not worth the hassle. eBay says they'll communicate with buyers, but as your situation shows - not all of them are very receptive to attempts to communicate proactively.

I'm a big fan of my 100% positive feedback and top rated seller status and don't need to really risk it over a labour dispute/lock-out.  Because that's what you are doing selling into this ugliness.  No thanks.  Unless you are selling top dollar sets and can work in UPS or FedEx type shipping rates into the price it is just not worth it.

Small Business owners are about the only people this has an impact on, besides the employees themselves of course. And with a lockout, resolutions usually take longer than they might if it were a strike. The company can afford to not have its employees working, they're not under pressure, doesn't bode well for a quick resolution unfortunately. 

Since I'm starting out, I definitely don't want to absorb any negative feedback.  I decided to end all of my listings for the time being.  It's not worth it.

I'm not hopeful this is resolved quickly, but for everybody's sake, especially CP employees, I hope it is.

3 minutes ago, Vodium said:

I don't think it's quite agreed at this point. They demand that, if the extended talks fail, both sides will submit to binding arbitration.

I'm not sure the union will agree to that condition...

Got some stamps in the mail today. Now I can ship any letter mail weight with stamps instead of paying at the counter. Sadly i will probably have to wait to use them now  

My postal lady said today was her record for the most parcels this week. A whole 7 packages. 2 of which were mine. Haha

image.jpeg

Edited by Vodium
Forgot my beautiful picture

I'm still unclear on the status of things after reading that article. I've got a couple items in Ship Now status. Looks like I should probably drop them off I guess? Maybe wait a couple hours to see if they reneg on the binding arbitration aspect of that cooling-off deal? 

7 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I'm still unclear on the status of things after reading that article. I've got a couple items in Ship Now status. Looks like I should probably drop them off I guess? Maybe wait a couple hours to see if they reneg on the binding arbitration aspect of that cooling-off deal? 

Back to looking like Monday lockout still possible, they declined the terms for the 30 day extension:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cupw-extension-request-canada-post-1.3670028

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Canada Post agrees to 30-day extension followed by binding arbitration

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/list.page?cattype=announcements&cat=newsreleases

The union didn't agree to it though did they? They didn't want the binding arbitration.

Canada Post withdrew the 72-hour lock out notice. Just hope the union won't strike.  

16 minutes ago, Vodium said:

The union didn't agree to it though did they? They didn't want the binding arbitration.

Canada Post withdrew the 72-hour lock out notice. Just hope the union won't strike.  

The cupw union page indicates that it was them that asked for the 30 day cooling off page on the 8th and CP agreed to it on the 10th withdrawing their 72 hour lock-out notice.  binding arbitration wasn't yet agreed to afak,  just the 30 day grace period for now. 

• 5 weeks later...

Update on ongoing postal talk breakdowns...  (via CanadaPost.ca)

Canada Post open for business but little progress in talks

Dear Canada Post customer,

Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers remain at the negotiating table, but progress is discouraging. We remain committed to our goal of reaching agreements that are fair to our employees. At the same time, the agreements must allow us to continue to provide affordable pricing and service to our customers and all Canadians.

First I would like to address some confusion regarding what some believe was a 30-day time-frame to negotiate without a disruption. That was not the case. This confusion may stem from an earlier offer by Canada Post on July 8 to negotiate intensively for 30 days under an extended “cooling off period.” The offer was contingent on both parties agreeing to binding arbitration if they could not reach negotiated settlements within 30 days. The union rejected the offer the same day. Accordingly, August 8 is not a date of significance.

As you know, Canada Post has expressed its strong desire to continue to negotiate without the threat of a lockout. Although CUPW has repeatedly said that they do not intend to strike, a threat of a 72-hour notice to strike is always a very real possibility.

I know these updates are not providing you with the certainty you need to conduct your business. I wish the news could be more encouraging.

• 2 weeks later...

Well did I miss .. was I sleeping but did they made change to their shipping price and weight and size ..

I'm pretty sure I used to be able to ship USA airmail regular parcel up to 2kg  as long as I'm in the size limit ( 30*30*30)  right ??

I just printed out an lable for I couldn't use anything under Expedited Parcel since my parcel was 1.16KG .. and shipping went to 24$ .. what ?%GRUITYSAF%?&%?*? .. Was I on Pills last winter, I'm sure I could use a few other method way lower with much more room .. Now their website say up to 1 KG, 1.01 KG and after use express  !

Do I need to consult or no ? I'm a tad confused , pretty sure we were able to use more method !