Possible Canada Post Lockout/Strike

Vodium

I truly feel sorry for the average Canadians that are just being robbed everyday and especially during Christmas time when aunty Betty wants to ship a $25 Lego set to little Timmy across the country just have to pay $20 in shipping with tracking and the 30+ minutes wait in line at the postal outlet. 

Maybe if Canada Post will offer services comparable to USPS such as First Class mail so it becomes economical to ship more small and lightweight products via ecommerce across the country they can actually earn some money to pay its employees! I know I don't sell a lot of the small items like minifigures or polybags in Canada because the postage with tracking kills it. Instead, I only offer them in the US and route all international shipments through USPS. Offering First Class mail rates may not be much meat for Canada Post, but if it encourages more businesses to sell small and lightweight products and ship them across the country, the little bits will surely add up in the end.

Edited by tacsniper

Sold an item today, and i think it's time to close up shop until this is worked out. I've heard July 2nd is the possible lockout? So with the friday being a holiday and all there aren't many business days left. Not going to take my chances and get packages stuck in limbo, then have customers open an item not received case - win the case - and then eventually get the item as well.

Annddd i got the e-mail from ebay just now. It looks like they will be taking steps to try and ensure sellers don't get shafted, but i'd still rather just avoid the whole mess to begin with. It's not like this is a popular time of the year to be selling anyways.

ebay

Dear x,

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visitcanadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

Thank you,

eBay Canada

Edited by Sandwraith

So looks like the strike is happening this weekend. Just when I sold an expensive set too.

Does anyone use any other shipping service aside from Canada Post? Are FedEx or UPS a lot more expensive?

FedEx is good if you are shipping to Alberta or Saskatchewan or smaller packages. Prices really go up for large packages, across the country, due to dimensional pricing but you can always request a quote from their website and go from there.

1 hour ago, seapotato said:

I went to ups to get a quote on shipping and it is like double what CP would charge. emoji52.png Hopefully everything gets resolved.

I'll never give any business whatsoever to UPS, that would be morally irresponsible for me. They have ripped me off way too often with their absurd "broker" charges when shipping from the U.S., such as 60 CAD for a declared value of 100 CAD.

They'll never get another buck from me!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Stragus said:

I'll never give any business whatsoever to UPS, that would be morally irresponsible for me. They have ripped me off way too often with their absurd "broker" charges when shipping from the U.S., such as 60 CAD for a declared value of 100 CAD.

They'll never get another buck from me!

UPS Brokerage fees is the most blatant and absurd money grab I've ever encountered. No other courier or postal company that I know of comes even close to this level of lunacy. 

Yeah, UPS is bad.

My girlfriend's aunt bought her an Ipad for graduating from university and sent it via UPS.  The gift ended up costing her $72 in brokerage fees.

At work I have shipped many packages using FedEx and UPS, but they are usually sent via priority overnight, so I don't have a good feel for what their charges for more standard shipments are like.  Still, I do get the sense that they are more expensive relative to Canada Post, and for me, their location and hours are incredibly inconvenient.  I think it's in everyone's best interest if this strike/lockout is short, and hopefully averted altogether.  

I've only had a bricklinked set arrive by UPS once... Set went for $180, UPS wanted to charge me $85 in Brokerage. I refused delivery at the door. It flustered the delivery guy, I guess they get penalized if parcels come back, so he offered to hand it over for $20 fees. I agreed and settled it with my seller. But yea.... outright rip-off. Sadly, they're going to get a bunch of business from average Canadians that don't know any wiser. But for future reference, hold your ground and refuse to pay that BS. 

• Like 1

I've been successful in self brokering parcels from UPS. The brokerage fee for ground is $40 CAD, for Air it's cheaper, around $10. It's always best to just ask the US seller to avoid UPS, but if you get bit, refuse delivery. Then call the UPS 1-800 number and ask to self Broker. They will arrange to have your parcel sent to your local UPS depot where you go and pick up the shipment information (At no cost). Then take the shipment info and your receipt to Canadian Customs, pay your tax and duty. Then go back to UPS with your receipt showing you've brokered the parcel and they will hand it over without their exorbitant brokerage fee. 

It's cumbersome for sure, but I had a friendly UPS worker from their 1-800# tell me how to do it one day when I had $60 worth of brokerage, duty and taxes on a free item. I ended up doing the drive and at least locally the UPS hub and Customs are all within a couple minutes of each other. Customs person just stamped my paperwork and didn't charge me anything. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CupIsHalfEmpty said:

I've been successful in self brokering parcels from UPS. The brokerage fee for ground is $40 CAD, for Air it's cheaper, around $10. It's always best to just ask the US seller to avoid UPS, but if you get bit, refuse delivery. Then call the UPS 1-800 number and ask to self Broker. They will arrange to have your parcel sent to your local UPS depot where you go and pick up the shipment information (At no cost). Then take the shipment info and your receipt to Canadian Customs, pay your tax and duty. Then go back to UPS with your receipt showing you've brokered the parcel and they will hand it over without their exorbitant brokerage fee. 

It's cumbersome for sure, but I had a friendly UPS worker from their 1-800# tell me how to do it one day when I had $60 worth of brokerage, duty and taxes on a free item. I ended up doing the drive and at least locally the UPS hub and Customs are all within a couple minutes of each other. Customs person just stamped my paperwork and didn't charge me anything. 

Excellent info!