Hey everyone, does anyone have pictures of a sealed Lego haunted house box. Showing that Lego use tape to seal the ends of the boxes. I've  just sold one on E-Bay and the buyer is claiming that this isn't a sealed set. They are try to get a free set. Please check my e-bay feedback that show I take great care in packaging my items. Ed hope this is ok to post. My e-bay is same as my user name here. I'm not advertising, just would like some help from the community proving that the boxes do have taped ends. 

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

have fun! Stomping

19 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Tell them to return it. Better to have an opened box than nothing back and them claiming the money back. If they return something else. Report it to the police for return fraud.

Cheers for that. Would still like some pictures proving I'm not making this up. Plus what the hell is return fraud? Never heard of it.☺️. 

Stomping

I'm sure someone will be able to get you a picture, but here's what I would suggest you tell them.

"I appreciate your concern, but all large boxes such as the LEGO 10228 Haunted House are sealed using 2 tape seals on each end. This allows LEGO to seal boxes in a way that builders can open them without destroying the box. Only the smallest boxes use punch tabs for opening the boxes. Each tape seal has a code on it that shows the date it was packed at the LEGO factory. If you are not satisfied, you can return the sealed set for a full refund - at your own cost and minus the original shipping fee. A refund will not be issued until I receive the set and verify that it is in the condition I sent it."

Then you wait... if they choose to send it back, great. Don't give them that refund until you have it in your hands.... and unfortunately you should now open it to verify the contents. Don't worry, it won't be worth any less open... maybe a couple bucks, but that's worth your peace of mind isn't it?

If they open a case with eBay, just keep it honest. No name calling, cite your positive feedback all around, etc.

Return Fraud is a real thing, but in reality it will help you very little here unless the buyer has had multiple complaints against them to their local police department. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I'm sure someone will be able to get you a picture, but here's what I would suggest you tell them.

"I appreciate your concern, but all large boxes such as the LEGO 10228 Haunted House are sealed using 2 tape seals on each end. This allows LEGO to seal boxes in a way that builders can open them without destroying the box. Only the smallest boxes use punch tabs for opening the boxes. Each tape seal has a code on it that shows the date it was packed at the LEGO factory. If you are not satisfied, you can return the sealed set for a full refund - at your own cost and minus the original shipping fee. A refund will not be issued until I receive the set and verify that it is in the condition I sent it."

Then you wait... if they choose to send it back, great. Don't give them that refund until you have it in your hands.... and unfortunately you should now open it to verify the contents. Don't worry, it won't be worth any less open... maybe a couple bucks, but that's worth your peace of mind isn't it?

If they open a case with eBay, just keep it honest. No name calling, cite your positive feedback all around, etc.

Return Fraud is a real thing, but in reality it will help you very little here unless the buyer has had multiple complaints against them to their local police department. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

Thanks for that.

Stomping

Good answer but I´d check their feedback (given and received) and their buying history before replying as there could be evidence of previous scamming. In that case, probably better to contact ebay directly first. However, if the person has mentioned  it to you prior to contacting ebay, it´s likely they are a genuine buyer who may just not know (it´s happened to me before too) and is thinking you taped the box shut (those seals can look very amateurish, especially if they are old and the codes have rubbed off).

• Like 1

Hey everyone, this was there response: 

and needed more diplomacy. So for that I apologise but the fact remains that the item arrived damaged due to insufficient packaging -bubble wrap & flimsy corrugated card are little defence against heavier parcels placed on top in transit. There is also the question of the seals being broken/over stuck with second seal/tampered with (I'm not accusing you, you may have purchased it as such) which leaves me with no confidence that the set is indeed brand new and sealed as described. I am a keen collector of lego and have many large sets purchased directly from Lego and many other sources including ebay (please see my feedback, I am not a con artist) and as such I am very familiar with how Lego seals their boxes. 

As the issues I described could not be ascertained until after the package was opened there was no opportunity to refuse the parcel at time of delivery as you suggest I should have done. You also ask that I return the item in the condition it was sent but it is only possible to return it in the condition I received it. I feel I have done nothing wrong in this transaction and as such I would ask that you treat this fairly and give me the full refund including all postage costs that I am entitled to, I shouldn't end up out of pocket for problems not of my making. 

I can return the item in a large box to protect it from possible further damage but think that may increase postage costs, or I can return it in the exact same manner as it was sent for presumably the exact same cost. As I request that you refund this cost I ask that you specify which method please. 

I will wait to hear back from you, 

Regards

Rilla

I really think I'm being played here. Anyone help me with a reply to this. Sorry for asking, I can't deal with this kinda thing much anymore. I really don't know what to do say to this.

thanks, Stomping

Part of the message is omitted but it sounds like they haven´t opened it so maybe better to arrange a return (organise it yourself with a company you trust). I´d ask them to confirm in writing that they have not opened the seals and that they are intact then proceed with a return and refund on arrival. Ask for pics of how it arrived and seals so as to evaluate any damage before proceeding as if damage is light, a partial refund is a smarter option than a return at your cost (buyer will know that too)

If you don´t accept the return and feel you are going to get played, empty out your paypal account immediately and remove any linked credit card or bank account then contact ebay.

The buyer has plenty of feedback - what does sellers say about past transactions and what do they say about past purchases?

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, this was there response: 

and needed more diplomacy. So for that I apologise but the fact remains that the item arrived damaged due to insufficient packaging -bubble wrap & flimsy corrugated card are little defence against heavier parcels placed on top in transit. There is also the question of the seals being broken/over stuck with second seal/tampered with (I'm not accusing you, you may have purchased it as such) which leaves me with no confidence that the set is indeed brand new and sealed as described. I am a keen collector of lego and have many large sets purchased directly from Lego and many other sources including ebay (please see my feedback, I am not a con artist) and as such I am very familiar with how Lego seals their boxes. 

As the issues I described could not be ascertained until after the package was opened there was no opportunity to refuse the parcel at time of delivery as you suggest I should have done. You also ask that I return the item in the condition it was sent but it is only possible to return it in the condition I received it. I feel I have done nothing wrong in this transaction and as such I would ask that you treat this fairly and give me the full refund including all postage costs that I am entitled to, I shouldn't end up out of pocket for problems not of my making. 

I can return the item in a large box to protect it from possible further damage but think that may increase postage costs, or I can return it in the exact same manner as it was sent for presumably the exact same cost. As I request that you refund this cost I ask that you specify which method please. 

I will wait to hear back from you, 

Regards

Rilla

I really think I'm being played here. Anyone help me with a reply to this. Sorry for asking, I can't deal with this kinda thing much anymore. I really don't know what to do say to this. The seals on the box were as new when I brought it from Lego. There was nothing wrong with this set. Every other sale hasn't had a problem, but they are really pushing it. I really need some help. I don't want to loss it with someone trying it on.

thanks, Stomping

Smells fishy to me. A couple things to note. First of all, sellers CANNOT leave bad feedback. Even if the buyers are scammers eBay won't allow it. So if the buyer was a scammer, their feedback may not show it. Secondly, it looks to me like they are using bad English (common to many scammers) and unusual wording. To me this reeks of a scammer (even though it could be possible they aren't). Are you 100% positive seals were intact and were not taped over? If so, this guy is a scammer. 

Edited by bigboy61

58 minutes ago, StompingFreak said:

I feel I have done nothing wrong in this transaction and as such I would ask that you treat this fairly and give me the full refund including all postage costs that I am entitled to, I shouldn't end up out of pocket for problems not of my making. 

I'd throw this line back at them. It's not of your making either by the sounds of it. So why should YOU take the full hit either? Not to mention that you can explain you will have to verify the contents for peace of mind anyway, meaning the set has to be cut open regardless, meaning you'll be out of pocket on that alone! Most reasonable people can be reasoned with. Perhaps you could try asking them to split the return costs 50/50 at the very least. I don't think you have much choice besides accepting the return though. If it arrives back and has been opened and pilfered through, then you contact ebay for a resolution. 

Edited by Zelgazra

5 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

I'd throw this line back at them. It's not of your making either by the sounds of it. So why should YOU take the full hit either? Not to mention that you can explain you will have to verify the contents for peace of mind anyway, meaning the set has to be cut open regardless, meaning you'll be out of pocket on that alone! Most reasonable people can be reasoned with. Perhaps you could try asking them to split the return costs 50/50 at the very least. I don't think you have much choice besides accepting the return though. If it arrives back and has been opened and pilfered through, then you contact ebay for a resolution. 

Agree with the last part. I wouldn't try to get the last word: just offer a return (paid using a shipper of your choice) and deal with what you get back at that time. Best case you have a new, sealed bags set that you can sell for almost as much as a NISB set, worst case you go back to EBAY and open a case. The unfortunate cost of reselling... hopefully covered by the profits you've made on other sales.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Agree with the last part. I wouldn't try to get the last word: just offer a return (paid using a shipper of your choice) and deal with what you get back at that time. Best case you have a new, sealed bags set that you can sell for almost as much as a NISB set, worst case you go back to EBAY and open a case. The unfortunate cost of reselling... hopefully covered by the profits you've made on other sales.

I agree with Phil. This is one of the things you have to deal with when you sell on eBay. It's a cost of doing business. Issue them a return label, and have them send it back. If it arrives complete but damaged, you can either eat the cost or file a claim with the shipper. If it arrives incomplete, open a case with eBay. If stuff like this really gets your blood boiling, stop selling on eBay. It's going to happen again. Send everything to Amazon and sell by FBA. Then they can deal with the customer service issues.

While box damage is definitely disappointing, you would think what's ultimately important is that the bags inside are all accounted for and unopened. They don't seem to care to look that far into the completeness.

This isn't helpful for this time around, but I noticed all the sets are stock photos. Taking pictures of the actual set for listing and proof would most likely prevent this in future sales.

• Like 1

eBay has a system that the buyer can request a refund. The seller will actually need to pay for the shipping cost if they choose to allow the return due to item mismatching the description.

Buyer basically request a return in eBay, then seller will receive a message from eBay for this return. Seller can then choose to allow t or not. If not, eBay will probably help to find out what's going on in both side .... If seller allow the return, then buyer will get a shipping label for free and ship it out. Seller will have to pay for the shipping. Once the seller receive the package and examine it, then the seller can issue the refund or have eBay comes in for any further dispute ...

Stock photos on expensive sets like this is a major no no. If there is one crease on the box they can claim they didn't get what they thought they were getting. Pictures of box, any damage, creases, seals and a thorough description of the box will protect you in the future.

7 hours ago, lodibricks said:

While box damage is definitely disappointing, you would think what's ultimately important is that the bags inside are all accounted for and unopened. They don't seem to care to look that far into the completeness.

This isn't helpful for this time around, but I noticed all the sets are stock photos. Taking pictures of the actual set for listing and proof would most likely prevent this in future sales.

Hi, yes your right. I will do from now on. I used too do this, don't know why I stopped.

Regards, Stomping

And when you are checking the feedback of that person, you might find details with dates linked to Lego purchases in comments. If this person has been collecting Lego for a long time, then he/ she was sleeping when 10228 retired end of 2014. And a keen collector would not sleep and miss this neat set!

Good luck !

10 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

Smells fishy to me. A couple things to note. First of all, sellers CANNOT leave bad feedback. Even if the buyers are scammers eBay won't allow it. So if the buyer was a scammer, their feedback may not show it. Secondly, it looks to me like they are using bad English (common to many scammers) and unusual wording. To me this reeks of a scammer (even though it could be possible they aren't). Are you 100% positive seals were intact and were not taped over? If so, this guy is a scammer. 

The box was brand new as the day I brought it. No damage, no seal broken.

Stomping

If I were a collector to receive an unsufficient or badly packed item...

What do lots of people do, when their received boxes are smashed? Yes, you send it back, as can be read in a lot of threads here!

This buyer, at least to me, sounds just like a collector wanting a perfect box and received a smashed one instead. Not that abstract.

So what is the OP's issue? The buyer is claiming box damage and re-taped seals. If they can verify this with photos you are obliged to refund. Take up the issue with your postal service/courier. Insured postage is to cover you, not the buyer. Did you use this method?

3 hours ago, Scatterbug said:

So what is the OP's issue? The buyer is claiming box damage and re-taped seals. If they can verify this with photos you are obliged to refund. Take up the issue with your postal service/courier. Insured postage is to cover you, not the buyer. Did you use this method?

Of cause. It was a expensive item. I always have with items over £100.00 pounds. Plus they haven't posted, sent, uploaded any images of the box. I may be green at this game, but I'm not a complete idiot. This is the very first time I've had a problem with a expensive sale. Think I my FDUK of E-Bay and sell only as private sales. 

stomping.