eBay Selling Advice

Legodog

1 minute ago, Martae54 said:

Speaking of eBay. The guy that was selling shuttle tydirium last week on Ebay for $70 out of NC .. Just gave me some yarn about not filling my order, that he put them on too low. Gotta love that! 

who was the seller?

15 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

Speaking of eBay. The guy that was selling shuttle tydirium last week on Ebay for $70 out of NC .. Just gave me some yarn about not filling my order, that he put them on too low. Gotta love that! 

Yep, you gotta love sellers who won't ship what someone buys....

14 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

who was the seller?

Tread carefully please.

15 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

1 hour ago, Martae54 said:

Personally I have decided if the EBay buyer account is NEW (less than a few days old)... I cancel .. ( especially expensive items).. That's my policy.. I am sure there are people who may disagree with my policy .. But it seems to protect me pretty well..

Maybe the seller mistook you for a new buyer and simply didn't want to ship to you.

• Like 4

(It was in daily deals section on here)  and you can get it from them now for a VERY reasonable $110.00 plus $5 shipping.  And for full disclosure I was told I could buy three at the original $70 several times thru a few emails (never got my order placed just verbal agrement for pickup since I travel through there fairly often) Only to be told today they were put on eBay too cheap, and they would gladly sell me 3 for $110 a piece..( I bet so! )...had my eBay account since 2000 so yeah I am pretty new to this whole thing..

Edited by Martae54

Just now, Martae54 said:

(It was in daily deals section on here)  and you can get it from them now for a VERY reasonable $110.00 plus $5 shipping.  And for full disclosure I was told I could buy three at the original $70 several times thru a few emails (never got my order placed just verbal agrement for pickup since I travel through there fairly often) Only to be told today they were put on eBay too cheap, and they would gladly sell me 3 for $110 a piece..( I bet so! ) maybe that will clear up redghostx confusion. ( had my eBay account since 2000)so yeah I am pretty new to this whole thing..

There is no confusion:

Buyer A buys an item and seller Martae refuses to ship it and cancels for what the seller thinks is a valid reason.

Buyer Martae buys an item and Seller B refuses to ship it and cancels for what the seller thinks is a valid reason.

However, one situation is deemed unreasonable by the poster but the other isn't.

On topic - I sold a few $200+ items over Christmas to new buyers and had no problems.  I always give the benefit or the doubt to a new buyer but I do some extra research if it is an odd sale or a particularly high priced item.  Please remember that everyone starts at 0.

• Like 4

Knock on wood, I've not had problems with new accounts.  I always check it out to make sure I'm covered by eBay.

So far, only once has a product been purchased by someone that hijacked someone's account (and that account had more than 0 feedback).  eBay covered me.

As far as new buyers are concerned - they show up every single day.  I like to make sales, so, I'm willing to take the risk.  I don't want to turn them away.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, redghostx said:

There is no confusion:

Buyer A buys an item and seller Martae refuses to ship it and cancels for what the seller thinks is a valid reason.

Buyer Martae buys an item and Seller B refuses to ship it and cancels for what the seller thinks is a valid reason.

However, one situation is deemed unreasonable by the poster but the other isn't.

Very confused indeed.. There was no shipping involved in this scenario.. 

Personally I am Trying be helpful..Not on here to troll people who are being helpful.. Who has time for that.. Oh wait.. 

9 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

Personally I am Trying be helpful..Not on here to troll people who are being helpful.. Who has time for that.. Oh wait.. 

What redghostx is trying to point out is that there are several scenarios in which a seller cancels a sale. Sometimes you are on the giving end, sometimes you are on the receiving end. You illustrated that in both your posts - coincidentally made on the same day. You complained on being denied a purchase, whereas you also deny others a potentially legitimate purchase. We can argue over the reasons why and their validity (is your "I don't trust 0 feedback users" a more valid reason to cancel a binding sales agreement than their "whoopsies I made a mistake listing at that price"?) but I can only agree with redghostx in that if you allow yourself the right to cancel a sale you cannot really complain about having a sale cancelled on you.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

redghostx has never trolled anyone on BP... what he was politely trying to point out is that your policy of cancelling sales to 0 feedback buyers is stupid and against eBay's policies. If you cancel sales for reasons not supported by eBay, then you are no different than the seller who cancelled your shuttle order for listing too low which is also against eBay's policies.

I don't know what it's like for ebay.com, but on ebay.ca many 0 feedback buyers are just unregistered users using the guest checkout feature. I've made some great sales to zero feedback buyers... I just protect myself by requiring paypal, packing properly, buying insurance, signature if necessary, and voila. Money in my pocket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

stupid huh? Very helpful..

5000 plus feedback with 0 negatives is ok I think 

You might not like my choice of words, but I stand by it. It's stupid to cancel 0 feedback buyers without prejudice.

You're free to do what you want, but if you don't see the irony in your posts then I can't help you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gregpj said:

redghostx has never trolled anyone on BP... what he was politely trying to point out is that your policy of cancelling sales to 0 feedback buyers is stupid and against eBay's policies. If you cancel sales for reasons not supported by eBay, then you are no different than the seller who cancelled your shuttle order for listing too low which is also against eBay's policies.

I don't know what it's like for ebay.com, but on ebay.ca many 0 feedback buyers are just unregistered users using the guest checkout feature. I've made some great sales to zero feedback buyers... I just protect myself by requiring paypal, packing properly, buying insurance, signature if necessary, and voila. Money in my pocket.

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner! On all counts. 

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

You might not like my choice of words, but I stand by it. It's stupid to cancel 0 feedback buyers without prejudice.

You're free to do what you want, but if you don't see the irony in your posts then I can't help you.

For sure a poor choice of words, especially for a mod.  eBay has buyer requirements that can be changed(unpaid buyer strikes,) (countries to ship to )(isn't that also prejudice because you don't want to sell to a buyer with two unpaid strikes or ship to their home country???? Shame on you!) sounds ridiculous right??? sales can also be canceled for any number of reasons..Sooooo.. Sadly the irony I seek cannot be found. As This deal was more like a CL deal.. I was in contact with the seller and set up a deal over the course of 3 DAYS over a half dozen emails..(Plenty of time to change his mind about price I would think).If you can't see the difference I can't help you.  I guess we will have to just agree to disagree on this.   

4 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

For sure a poor choice of words, especially for a mod.  eBay has buyer requirements that can be changed(unpaid buyer strikes,) (countries to ship to )(isn't that also prejudice because you don't want to sell to a buyer with two unpaid strikes or ship to their home country???? Shame on you!) sounds ridiculous right??? sales can also be canceled for any number of reasons..Sooooo.. Sadly the irony I seek cannot be found. As This deal was more like a CL deal.. I was in contact with the seller and set up a deal over the course of 3 DAYS over a half dozen emails..(Plenty of time to change his mind about price I would think).If you can't see the difference I can't help you.  I guess we will have to just agree to disagree on this.   

I'd have said it was stupid without the mod badge. I'm not saying the seller you bought from wasn't being a jerk about it but there is a HUGE difference between unpaid strikes or not shipping to countries (known for fraud, or if a seller doesn't want the hassle of customs) and simply refusing to sell to new eBay users. So to be clear, what I'm saying is that you're being a jerk seller by cancelling zero feedback buyers who've paid expecting an item to be shipped.

There, is that a better choice of words?

I will never sugar coat it when I think someone is wrong or unethical.

26 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

There is a difference between not allowing a low feedback buyer to place an order (which is fine IMHO) and cancelling someone's order because they have low/zero feedback. If you only do the former you have the right to complain about a sale being cancelled on you. If you do the latter, you cannot really complain, you are just getting a taste of your own medicine.

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

There is a difference between not allowing a low feedback buyer to place an order (which is fine IMHO) and cancelling someone's order because they have low/zero feedback. If you only do the former you have the right to complain about a sale being cancelled on you. If you do the latter, you cannot really complain, you are just getting a taste of your own medicine.

According to eBay you can't do either of those. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

Of course the irony is clear as day.  The seller who cancels orders on regular basis (for whatever reason) got his order/deal canceled by other eBay seller (for whatever reason).  Just another day in eBay paradise. :drag:

2 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

I will keep my opinion to myself from now on.. Better??

You're free to have and voice your opinion, but when you put it out there for all to see and read you have to be prepared for people to respond.

My apologies for calling you a jerk seller - I don't really know you well enough to make such a statement, but I honestly believe you're going against the spirit of what eBay is when cancelling a sale for what my opinion is _not a good reason_ and what eBay believes is _not a good reason_.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

I'm not trying to pile on you Martae, however, it almost sounds like you were trying to work out the deal outside of eBay ("This deal was more like a CL deal"), which is also against eBay policy.  Unless he had a local pick up noted on the listing.  You describe over a half dozen emails (so, outside of eBay's messaging system?), and the implication from how you are speaking suggests to me anyway, that you two intended the deal be made by meeting up.  Big no-no for eBay, because you're cutting them out of their profit.

Even the disparate complaints about someone canceling on you, and you canceling on someone else aside, gotta say you can't be surprised when a deal being worked out part in and part out of eBay goes south.