Brickmania - Custom Kits: Do you buy them?

Darth Lego

I just wanted to see if any members on here buy Brickmania.com kits. They have great customer service and I have bought a couple of their kits. Here's a chunk from their "about us" page. "Founded by independent designer Daniel Siskind in 1999, Brickmania has become known for offering high quality building kits made from genuine LEGO brand parts, but in subjects falling outside the company's official product line at the time of their release. These include medieval and renaissance castles, age of pirates and colonization, and military models from World War I, World War II, and modern warfare." Their kits are more pricey but they are truly worth it. Let me know below if you are a fan of Brickmania too! (: (Here's the link: http://www.brickmania.com/ )

This build, (which isn't for sale lol.) is one of my favorites. The sheer size is outstanding and it has so many fine details.

Here's the link: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/screamingforvengeance/7761725890/in/photostream/

Your original link does not work for me. Here's a fixed link.

Anyway, I remember seeing that before and am still very impressed. I wonder just how much that would cost? Ha ha.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've seen Brickmania for years but havn't bought anything of theirs yet. I'm fairly interested in their helicopter sets, especially this blackhawk. http://www.brickmania.com/uh-60-black-hawk-utility-helicopter/ and this deuce and a half truck http://www.brickmania.com/cckw-deuce-and-a-half-6x6-truck/ I know their prices are not cheap, but they are such better builds than I could probably MOC, and I wouldn't have to place like 18 different Bricklink orders. Has anyone ordered from them before? If so what did you buy? Are they good builds and are the boxes they come in sturdy enough for display?

I don't think I'd display anything besides something I built, or a regular Lego set. :/ While a lot of customs for sale are cool, I've always had an aversion to buying custom minifigs, weopons, or vehicles.

As a kid I would attempt to replicate a lot of the stuff on this website, and at times was fairly successful. I never bought anything though.

When I saw the helicopter, all I could think of was the Ted quote. "Now if there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that nothing is more powerful than a young boy's wish. Except an Apache helicopter. An Apache helicopter has machine guns AND missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive complement of weaponry, an absolute death machine."

Hey guys, I've seen Brickmania for years but havn't bought anything of theirs yet. I'm fairly interested in their helicopter sets, especially this blackhawk.

http://www.brickmania.com/uh-60-black-hawk-utility-helicopter/

and this deuce and a half truck

http://www.brickmania.com/cckw-deuce-and-a-half-6x6-truck/

I know their prices are not cheap, but they are such better builds than I could probably MOC, and I wouldn't have to place like 18 different Bricklink orders.

Has anyone ordered from them before? If so what did you buy? Are they good builds and are the boxes they come in sturdy enough for display?

I actually brought up this topic back in January.(Click here to view the thread.) I also have talked a little bit about Brickmania in my World War Brick thread.

I personally have ordered several times from them and most of those orders have consisted of Brickarms. About one year ago I got their M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer. (I also have two kits that I bought used from a seller on eBay.) It is a very well designed and historically accurate tank. (I can post some pictures of my personal one if you want.) When I had two missing pieces from the tank, they quickly sent me the correct pieces and a handwritten apology. (I even got some extra prototype tank shells to make-up for the error.) That is great customer service! All of my orders have been shipped promptly as well. At the time the tank costed $195, but there was a promotion going on and I got it for $150! (A 23% discount!) I think the prices are worth what you get. The box they come in is very sturdy and you even get a certificate of authenticity with your kit. I also am going to WWB with a weekend pass which means I will probably end up getting another kit other than the Jeep that comes with the pass.

Here is a quote from Dan Siskind of Brickmania about the higher prices regarding Brickmania's custom kits during a Brothers Brick article.

I asked Dan about the prices of his custom LEGO kits, and he reminded me that he has to source his individual LEGO parts on the secondary market just like everyone else. Dan sells his custom kits in limited runs of fifty to a hundred (rather than the tens or hundreds of thousands of units that the LEGO Group moves), and his price has to account for the time he spends designing and redesigning the sets in a way that enables him to find enough parts in quantity to create a batch of custom kits.

(Click here to read the article.)

He has to pay secondary market prices like we do to buy bricks. He believe he has asked Lego for discounted bricks and they have turned him down.

All in all I think the kits are well worth the price. They are designed by Dan who had his 3739 Blacksmith Shop released as an official Lego set. In my opinion I really like the Brickmania kits and I think they are great.

Wow, I never knew he did the Blacksmith shop! Thats so awesome. I loved that set as a kid. I think I'm going to pick up the deuce 1/2 tonight but ill probably pass on the blackhawk. I just can't justify not buying another death star with that money hah. Another question? If you build it is the box resealable? Like can I build it, dismantle it and then stick it right back in the box how I got it?

Wow, I never knew he did the Blacksmith shop! Thats so awesome. I loved that set as a kid. I think I'm going to pick up the deuce 1/2 tonight but ill probably pass on the blackhawk. I just can't justify not buying another death star with that money hah.

Another question? If you build it is the box resealable? Like can I build it, dismantle it and then stick it right back in the box how I got it?

I totally understand. I didn't purchase one of the larger Sherman tanks because of their higher price. The Blackhawk is one of the most expensive kits he offers other than the Tiger and the Panther tanks. (The Tiger has 947 pieces in it and the Panther has 773. The Hellcat has 448.)

Yes and no. As you can see from the first picture the box has a paper cover with the set's picture on it that wraps around most of the box. In order to open the box you have to tear the paper. In the second picture, you can see the paper's torn edges on the bottom as well as the plastic bag that the pieces come in. (The pieces in the picture were some extra ones.) The third pictures shows Dan's signature and the kit's model and serial number. The last picture shows the instruction manual and the certificate of authenticity.

The deuce and 1/2 looks like a real nice kit and I hope you'll like it! (:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone hopped on board the Brickmania track project? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brickmania/brickmania-track-links-custom-add-on-for-the-lego It's kinda awesome. Think I am going to donate some money and try to get the army green tank to go with my loads of army green toy story troopers!! You guys should get involved too!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone hopped on board the Brickmania track project?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brickmania/brickmania-track-links-custom-add-on-for-the-lego

It's kinda awesome. Think I am going to donate some money and try to get the army green tank to go with my loads of army green toy story troopers!! You guys should get involved too!

I was going to mention that but it looks like you beat me to it. (: They are at 88% ($29,346) with 232 backers and their goal is $33,000 with 8 days left. They have stretch goals that include custom minifigures and additional custom vehicles. I'm thinking about pledging at the "Second Lieutenant" level because I can get the new treads for my current tank and instructions/parts list for the M7 Priest. I'm dreaming about getting the M7 Priest at the "Major General" level. (;

I would absolutely love the German tiger tank but those prices are crazy. Someone would have to have no impulse restraint to buy that!

Or have a bucket load of money to spend! It's a pretty spendy kit.

The Tiger is actually the most expensive kit they are selling right now.

Here is a quick update. Brickmania has reached their goal of $33,000 and they have now added stretch goals. (They currently have $35,579 with 3 days left.) The different colors were actually for the track links. As Kerrmando said they have awesome and high-quality products that don't disappoint. 

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brickmania/brickmania-track-links-custom-add-on-for-the-lego

photo-main.jpg?1367428211

stretch01.png

stretch02.png

stretch03.png