852751 - Pirates Chess 2009

legotrader

I don't think they're a very good idea for investment purposes. The Pirates one looks like it's doing fairly well, but it also had the smallest production run along with the giant chess set. I bought a lot of the original castle chess sets and made some good, quick money but the next time they did another production run, I bought a bunch again and it took a long time for it to be a worthwhile investment. Other than it being the ultimate castle, viking or pirate battle pack, there isn't anything that unique about them to draw future interest. Of course, doubling or tripling your money is always good, I just think there are better sets to put that money in.

I don't think they're a very good idea for investment purposes. The Pirates one looks like it's doing fairly well, but it also had the smallest production run along with the giant chess set. I bought a lot of the original castle chess sets and made some good, quick money but the next time they did another production run, I bought a bunch again and it took a long time for it to be a worthwhile investment. Other than it being the ultimate castle, viking or pirate battle pack, there isn't anything that unique about them to draw future interest. Of course, doubling or tripling your money is always good, I just think there are better sets to put that money in.

Well, the majority of Chess sets were relatively cheap and had a bunch of mini figs. Mini figs are a main reason why a lot of sets do appreciate rapidly. Maybe people are overlooking a good thing?

All the small chess sets were $49.99 and only available from LEGO Stores and S@H. I don't think any of them were clearanced off, so the best most people would have been able to get on these was 10% off. All have been retired for at least 2 years, and they can still be picked up for between $100 and $150. In that same time you could have put that money into so many other good sets that have come and gone and made a much better return.

All the small chess sets were $49.99 and only available from LEGO Stores and LEGO Shop at Home. I don't think any of them were clearanced off, so the best most people would have been able to get on these was 10% off. All have been retired for at least 2 years, and they can still be picked up for between $100 and $150. In that same time you could have put that money into so many other good sets that have come and gone and made a much better return.

I agree that the Chess sets are not the best investment, but maybe they should be looked at closer by investors. The new Kingdoms Chess set has 28 minifigs for $49.99. That is a sweet deal any day.

I agree that the Chess sets are not the best investment, but maybe they should be looked at closer by investors. The new Kingdoms Chess set has 28 minifigs for $49.99. That is a sweet deal any day.It is an excellent deal. Lego needs to make a Star Wars Chess set with 28 minifigs for $50. That would be uber popular.

I think the new castle chest set is a nice investment at $50, both for the actual chess set and worst case scenario you sell the pieces, even with ebay fees and shipping theres no reason you shouldnt be able to get a 100% return on your investment. There are better investments out there so i wouldnt stock up on to many of them. Also i wont bother getting the pirate one as an investment now, i think the price has peaked and i wouldnt expect it to go up much at this point, unless u are lucky enough to find one for close to retail somehow.

I think the new castle chest set is a nice investment at $50, both for the actual chess set and worst case scenario you sell the pieces, even with ebay fees and shipping theres no reason you shouldnt be able to get a 100% return on your investment. There are better investments out there so i wouldnt stock up on to many of them. Also i wont bother getting the pirate one as an investment now, i think the price has peaked and i wouldnt expect it to go up much at this point, unless u are lucky enough to find one for close to retail somehow.

Yes, there comes a point where investing in older sets is a waste of money. The new Kingdoms set is worth a try. I'm not a fan of the plastic base, but who can argue with 28 minifigs for $50?

• 4 months later...