Retailers and Damaged Boxes

Just a quick rant here... Is it just that I'm having a run of bad luck or do the major retailers suck at shipping items? This week: WalMart - Ordered 5 Items/2 damaged TRU - Ordered The Summer Riding Camp/Received it damaged, and it probably can't be replaced Amazon - Ordered 3 items/2 damaged Some of these things I don't even understand how they make the decision to put it in the box. One of the items from Amazon was sent in an envelope without adequate protection (it was a 3rd party). I'm having an internal debate with myself about whether the damage on the Friends thing even matters...that seems like more of a playable set to me than anything. I'm almost certain I won't easily find another Summer Riding Camp. The other stuff I've already returned. Will be at least calling TRU to see if I can get a discount...but, this is getting to be really annoying.

Just a quick rant here...

Is it just that I'm having a run of bad luck or do the major retailers suck at shipping items? This week:

WalMart - Ordered 5 Items/2 damaged

TRU - Ordered The Summer Riding Camp/Received it damaged, and it probably can't be replaced

Amazon - Ordered 3 items/2 damaged

Some of these things I don't even understand how they make the decision to put it in the box. One of the items from Amazon was sent in an envelope without adequate protection (it was a 3rd party).

I'm having an internal debate with myself about whether the damage on the Friends thing even matters...that seems like more of a playable set to me than anything. I'm almost certain I won't easily find another Summer Riding Camp. The other stuff I've already returned.

Will be at least calling TRU to see if I can get a discount...but, this is getting to be really annoying.

It's part of the LEGO investment game. Retailers don't look at box quality as a major issue, or they would pack them better. Many items on clearance or heavily discounted arrive in poor condition because they were on the shelves for a long time. I would estimate about 10-15% of my boxes arrive with some sort of issues. Each set and situation is different. Some high values sets that are still in stock should be returned. Other lesser sets might be easier to forgive dents and dings. They only way to find perfect boxes is to buy in LEGO stores and that is not possible for many of us.

I would estimate about 10-15% of my boxes arrive with some sort of issues.

I think I could handle a 10-15% error rate...that would be awesome in comparison. I haven't kept detailed stats on this over time, but it seems like whenever I do the Site to Store thing there's almost always at least something wrong with a box. Last night poor Stephanie's Convertible was crushed. It would really suck to be a parent that bought that as a gift...

I tend to look at it like this. Imagine if 10-15% of all planes crashed?* Or if 10-15% of the time that you ate at a restaurant you got sick. I know the impact in both cases is greater than my LEGO Friends box having a crease, but my point is that humans have figured out how to do high volume activities while preserving quality. It seems like these retailers could do the same.

*(Hopefully I'm not foreshadowing anything with that comment, as on Friday I'm taking a 16 hour flight...)

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. It's just one of those things. Typically, just call and they will either give you a small discount or allow you to return for free. At least you didn't get your Lego without a shipping box. During Xmas, I had a few Harry Potter Castles and R2D2's shipped naked. Just slapped on a label on the retail box and shipped. All of those came from their PA warehouse which was horrible. Needless to say, those got refused immediately as the seals were falling off, boxes dented, etc etc.