Brickpicker Smooshing Guide for Lego Collectible Minifigures Series 15

Darth_Raichu

Here is a quick guide for smooshing (feeling) the new 71011 CMF Series 15 packs.  Smooshing is a term used by Lego fans for feeling the CMF packs' hidden contents to determine which minifigure is inside it. 

You should be able to identify each minifigure by feeling for the 1st accessory on the list below.  The other accessories can be used for back-up identification purposes.

View full blog article

• Like 6

I love this, having smooshed a whole bunch I agree almost completely, apart from the Farmer - the pig stands out just like the queen's dress, just feel the legs then move one hand to the head and the other to the backside of the pig - if there is no long tail you have a pig and hence the farmer. So I would go for pig first, then hat then pitchfork (which is flat and sometimes difficult to find due to being squeezed together with the baseplate.

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

I love this, having smooshed a whole bunch I agree almost completely, apart from the Farmer - the pig stands out just like the queen's dress, just feel the legs then move one hand to the head and the other to the backside of the pig - if there is no long tail you have a pig and hence the farmer. So I would go for pig first, then hat then pitchfork (which is flat and sometimes difficult to find due to being squeezed together with the baseplate.

Hat vs pig is the difference between 5 seconds smoosh (with custom bag of course) and 8 seconds smoosh ;)

I haven't had any luck finding fright knights using the smooshing technique. I got a few shark suit guys, but also a lot of wrestlers unfortunately. I'm kinda wary of standing in the Lego aisles too long, so I guessed a few figures incorrectly. Have any of you ever had store clerks asking what the hell you were doing?

Yes just the other day. It turned out to be a very nice conversation - I showed him what I was looking for, how I knew what I had, and we talked about the perceived value of LEGO. Then he told me that another customer in the very same store found a Mr. Gold a while back. Net, all was well - and it's not like you are doing something illegal like opening the bag and checking, or damaging the contents.

That said, your flag says your Belgian and European stores have a different view of the customer than North American ones (Here they use "Customer is King", in Europe it's more like "You dared to enter my store, you'd better behave!") :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phil B said:

Yes just the other day. It turned out to be a very nice conversation - I showed him what I was looking for, how I knew what I had, and we talked about the perceived value of LEGO. Then he told me that another customer in the very same store found a Mr. Gold a while back. Net, all was well - and it's not like you are doing something illegal like opening the bag and checking, or damaging the contents.

That's nice. You're right that it's nothing illegal, but I would say that it does not fall within the intended purpose of the minifigures. The whole idea of the minifigure series is that you're not supposed to know what figures you're getting. That way you'd have to buy a lot more than 16 bags to get all the different minifigures :scratchhead:You having some way of knowing what figure you're getting would mean they sell less figures per customer. Although I guess most stores just get a few boxes and put them on the shelves until they are sold out :dontknow:

23 hours ago, Phil B said:

That said, your flag says your Belgian and European stores have a different view of the customer than North American ones (Here they use "Customer is King", in Europe it's more like "You dared to enter my store, you'd better behave!") :)

You may be right on that. We also use the "customer is king" saying, however I find it rarely applies in practice. Sometimes I just go to some stores to see what they have. Most store clerks are okay with that, but I do get weird looks from time to time when I pass the checkout without buying anything. For some reason they have a hard time dealing with customers that do not fall within what you would call the "normal customer" group (e.g. mom/dad with children). "Customer is king" does tend apply whenever I buy a few 100€ worth of Lego :king:

Edited by c_rpg

17 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

That's nice. You're right that it's nothing illegal, but I would say that it does not fall within the intended purpose of the minifigures. The whole idea of the minifigure series is that you're not supposed to know what figures you're getting. That way you'd have to buy a lot more than 16 bags to get all the different minifigures :scratchhead:You having some way of knowing what figure you're getting would mean they sell less figures per customer. Although I guess most stores just get a few boxes and put them on the shelves until they are sold out :dontknow:

That might be the thinking of the LEGO Group, but why would the retailer care? If you buy 16 CMF bags, that's a nice sale for them .... and the mommies with begging kids don't care what minifig the kid picks, they just think "here is a nice little reward for patiently spending 2hrs in stores with me".

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

You may be right on that. We also use the "customer is king" saying, however I find it rarely applies in practice. Sometimes I just go to some stores to see what they have. Most store clerks are okay with that, but I do get weird looks from time to time when I pass the checkout without buying anything. For some reason they have a hard time dealing with customers that do not fall within what you would call the "normal customer" group (e.g. mom/dad with children). "Customer is king" does tend apply whenever I buy a few 100€ worth of Lego :king:

funny, i did not know any terms and conditions applied to CMF purchase. i pay for what i buy, if it takes me a few minutes to decide what i want what is the issue with that?

41 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

i have not seen these on shelves yet, are they out and about in all markets?

5 seconds my 4$$

do we have the table of contents of a sealed case?

3 Farmers
4 Astronauts
4 Grim Knights
5 Clumsy Guys
3 Tribal Women
4 Winged Battle Warriors
4 Satyrs
3 Animal Rangers
4 Janitors
3 Ballerinas
3 Winged Mech Warriors
5 Kendo Masters
5 Shark Suit Guys
4 Wrestling Champions
3 Jewel Thieves
3 Queens

3 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Actually, I have seen LEGO store employees helped customers smoosh the packages to get specific characters and chatted with them throughout the process.  IMHO this is a good practice since those same customers ended up buying more than just a few CMF packs.

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I don't know if its due to my 'smooshing practice' or if this series is just easier to 'smoosh' than the series before, but I was able to get all mini figs I wanted.

I'd say both ;)

10 hours ago, c_rpg said:

That's nice. You're right that it's nothing illegal, but I would say that it does not fall within the intended purpose of the minifigures. The whole idea of the minifigure series is that you're not supposed to know what figures you're getting. That way you'd have to buy a lot more than 16 bags to get all the different minifigures :scratchhead:You having some way of knowing what figure you're getting would mean they sell less figures per customer. A

You could be right only if the price of minifigures would be much less than EUR 3, for example EUR 0.5 - 1 - then you can buy 50-60 minifigures to find 16 different figs. But expect to spend 3x eur 3 to get 1 new 2 and have 2 figs redundant (so to pay EUR 9 for new fig), its not fair. And you still cannot be sure that you have all 16 characters after buying 50-60 figs - since the amount of every fig is different in 1 box. So smooshing is absolutelly OK for me.