7962 - Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

stephen_rockefeller

This set was still widely available from TRU just a few weeks ago. Now that TRU has finally delist it and sold out of their last stock, I do expect a steady appreciation. There are some who diss the new SW trilogy and I do agree some of the lead acting is a pain to watch. But the storyline is still interesting and the movies have done well in box office.

Now that the newest trilogy is scheduled for release in end of next year, I will put my money on all good SW sets from episode 1-6, especially on sets that iare instantly recognizable, and which lego will not likely re-release in the coming years. I think 7962 fits the bill.

Guest TabbyBoy

I have no sets from the 3 dreadful prequels and never intend to at any price.  However, I do have 10x 9515 Malevolence (Clone Wars) which I stand to lose money on even though I bought them at 40% off.  Stick to the original episodes 4-6 and you won't go far wrong.

I have no sets from the 3 dreadful prequels and never intend to at any price. However, I do have 10x 9515 Malevolence (Clone Wars) which I stand to lose money on even though I bought them at 40% off. Stick to the original episodes 4-6 and you won't go far wrong.

Yep. That is how it works currently. Younger people who like the prequels are probably in their Lego Dark Ages now and the original trilogy fans like me don't want anything to do with episodes 1-3 except for a few Darth Vader related sets. Hence, not much demand for prequel sets. I do believe there might be demand in another 10 years though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Yep. That is how it works currently. Younger people who like the prequels are probably in their Lego Dark Ages now and the original trilogy fans like me don't want anything to do with episodes 1-3 except for a few Darth Vader related sets. Hence, not much demand for prequel sets. I do believe there might be demand in another 10 years though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Ugh...a ten year wait?  Sounds like investment purgatory.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Just been looking at getting a copy of this set (missed out when it first came around), but how can I get this one brand new for less then MRSP?

Is this one actually that unpopular?  Reason I'm shocked is this one has great mini-figs and good playability & strong theme.  I know the myth of "any thing to do with Lego and branded is a sure fire win" is just that.  But this looks to be one of the sets that I would have thought would have faired a little better.

Other then Darth Maul and the lightsabre fight at the end I thought this was the best part of the movie.  Cant see much on the forums on this one but would the advice be to steer clear of this one for investment purposes?... Still not confident in my own appraisals to pull the trigger just yet :)

Just been looking at getting a copy of this set (missed out when it first came around), but how can I get this one brand new for less then MRSP?

Is this one actually that unpopular?  Reason I'm shocked is this one has great mini-figs and good playability & strong theme.  I know the myth of "any thing to do with Lego and branded is a sure fire win" is just that.  But this looks to be one of the sets that I would have thought would have faired a little better.

Other then Darth Maul and the lightsabre fight at the end I thought this was the best part of the movie.  Cant see much on the forums on this one but would the advice be to steer clear of this one for investment purposes?... Still not confident in my own appraisals to pull the trigger just yet :)

they say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll let this picture do the talking...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I would steer clear from this set for investment purposes. It hasn't done very well because it is from Episode I. Many SW sets that are related to the Original Trilogy have done better than the sets from Episodes I - III. Also, here is a link to a longer discussion about the set.

• 5 months later...

This set has been sitting for a few years now & has really seen no +/- in value. Considering Lego is releasing a 2016 Anakin's Podracer, which is a smaller set and  it's less attractive than this set, I am interested in other opinions if you think this set will finally gain some value? Perhaps they are worth scooping up since you can still get them at retail? I mean I thought this was an awesome little set, the podracing scene was awesome in the Phantom Menace I thought for sure this would have gained at least some value. 

In general, collectors don't like The Phantom Menace. Collectors also tend to really dislike Little Ani. The $10 overpricing when it was at retail couldn't have helped. The minifigures are an eclectic mix of who cares (Wald), Why was he even included (Obi-Wan), actively despised (Anakin), or generally mediocre characters. If there had been one must have character, the set might have taken off. When you throw a drag racing scene into a space action movie, it doesn't gel. I guess we should be thankful that LEGO never made Senate pods. The fact that they are once again revisiting the theme is crazy, but no crazier than throwing yet another spider droid out there when the previous one sold so poorly.

2 hours ago, Deanfjr said:

This set has been sitting for a few years now & has really seen no +/- in value. Considering Lego is releasing a 2016 Anakin's Podracer, which is a smaller set and  it's less attractive than this set, I am interested in other opinions if you think this set will finally gain some value? Perhaps they are worth scooping up since you can still get them at retail? I mean I thought this was an awesome little set, the podracing scene was awesome in the Phantom Menace I thought for sure this would have gained at least some value. 

This is pretty much what I have been thinking the last couple years. I like this set, i thought this scene in movie was awesome. However, the lego set doesn't seem to get any love.

2 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

In general, collectors don't like The Phantom Menace. Collectors also tend to really dislike Little Ani. The $10 overpricing when it was at retail couldn't have helped. The minifigures are an eclectic mix of who cares (Wald), Why was he even included (Obi-Wan), actively despised (Anakin), or generally mediocre characters. If there had been one must have character, the set might have taken off. When you throw a drag racing scene into a space action movie, it doesn't gel. I guess we should be thankful that LEGO never made Senate pods. The fact that they are once again revisiting the theme is crazy, but no crazier than throwing yet another spider droid out there when the previous one sold so poorly.

that's a surprise! people in general don't like little Ani? why's that? and also not Phantom Menace??

2 hours ago, siulon said:

that's a surprise! people in general don't like little Ani? why's that? and also not Phantom Menace??

Generally speaking, I think it's no secret when i tell you not only collectors but most of the fans dislike The Phantom Menace.

Various reasons given:

- exaggerated use of CGI

- too "colorful", not dark and menacing enough

- poor acting of some of the characters

- JAR JAR "wtf" BINKS

- should have been connected to the "old" trilogy, somehow, but looked and felt different...

- aso ...

I purchased 1 and still regret it. nobody wants them it seems. 

completly agree with most of the reasons mentioned, the figures are meh, lil anakin sucks, so does ep1. 

nevertheless i still think the podracers are well done and the race is a cool scene from the movie. sebulba is also a recognizeable character for me after playing sw episode 1 racer ages ago. maybe i will open it one day for myself.

but for investment: DONT BUY