75828 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1 & Ecto-2

jaisonline

14 hours ago, Phil B said:

For those of you who might have forgotten that there was a Ghostbusters II movie already, and that this new movie is really Ghostbusters III, I found this article entertaining:

http://www.wired.com/2016/07/open-letter-from-ghostbusters-ii/

Excerpt:

Well if Ghostbusters II was a pile of poop then I must be a turd nugget for enjoying it.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2016 at 3:37 AM, TabbyBoy said:

Is it me or is Hollywood short of new ideas? I've never been a fan of sequels, prequels (esp. SW) and rehashes.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" -some old story

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Too bad because each action figure is very specific to each character.  They do not look like generic Barbie dolls dressed up in Ghostbusters garbs.  The Leslie Jones one is taller than the others and Jenny McCarthy one is shorter and "fuller" than the others.

I mean all these years some people/women have been asking for dolls that represent different body types, but one set showed up and went straight to clearance :P 

• Like 1

Noticed today local Walmart had dedicated end cap (decorated cardboard display holding sets) for this set.

Kind of useless info. I saw an architecture end cap once this spring in a different store.

Have any other recent movie tied sets had similar displays?

The reviews that are rolling in are surprisingly positive.  Is it the love for the female cast, script, homage to the originals, current culture, etc?  Can it be saved?

i still haven't watched a single trailer, but I'm curious how it does.  The only remakes I've watched are " Fright Night", "Dredd", and "The Force Awakens".

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

The reviews that are rolling in are surprisingly positive.  Is it the love for the female cast, script, homage to the originals, current culture, etc?  Can it be saved?

i still haven't watched a single trailer, but I'm curious how it does.  The only remakes I've watched are " Fright Night", "Dredd", and "The Force Awakens".

We will see how much power the nerds (ie fans of 1984 Ghostbusters) have over the box office.  

The one thing to consider is movies these days are not made with US consumers in mind.  So most likely it will not do too well in the US but perfectly fine worldwide

I am suspecting that 'positive' reviews are bought and paid for. The user-reviews by people who have seen the movie in advanced screenings are destroying it!

Terrible CGI, no chemistry between the characters, lousy acting (like reading from an autocue), obvious green-screen use, jokes are just not funny, reverse sexism (all men in the movie are either dumb of evil), bad script-writing, lousy editing ... Those are things that many who saw it wrote about it.

This movie will BOMB and related merchandise will be moving to the Clearance Shelf very fast. Well, if I can pick up set 75828 with a big discount I'll get it for my own building fun. But I won't buy it for investment, that's for sure! :D 

I am not saying the movie will be good or not but there are 133 reviews on rotten tomatoes right and it has a 76% fresh rating among critics. That would mean that roughly 101 critics were, as you say, "bought and paid for." That seems kind of outlandish. Personally, I have no interest in seeing it based on the trailers, but am not going to just assume it is horrible and say all positive reviews are paid for.

Edited by micbelt

I watched a behind the scenes preview of the movie and surprised by how much of the effects are physically there but I guess the overlay of computer generated content kind of 'washes' over it in a way unfortunately. In the case of "bad CGI", I wonder what they consider "good CGI" because any example I have heard used could debatably be considered 'better' but you can still tell it was made by computer. Perhaps we should go back to the ways of men-in-suits like Godzilla. Honestly in terms of film effects which method could be 'less fake' than the other?

A personal choice regarding critics is take whatever said with a moderate measure of salt. Way too often they have panned or praised titles undeserving of either claims. Besides with all the venom surrounding this particular film to where even a news station will twist around a YouTuber simply stating "The trailer looked bad, so I choose not to see it." into some cluster fluff of a misogynistic agenda, I would tune out what many are saying more so than normal.

There are multiple examples of critics loving a movie and the audience disagreeing with them.  I don't know if that will be the case here, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with similar scores to Indy 4.  I don't go see hardly any movie in the theater, but I'll Redbox it so I'll only be out a couple bucks if it's not good.

Saw the movie last night.  5/10.  Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Thor were the highlights for me.  Leslie Jones' character was actually a lot more well-written than she came off in the trailers.  There are serious, serious things wrong with it, but I'd suggest catching a cheap matinee.   

Edited by Ecto
spelling / clarity

• 2 weeks later...

So this movie hasn't had the best of reviews, however people are still going out to see it, in a few weeks it should recoup it's budget of $144 million.

I've been to a few toy stores / lego stores and it seems like this is a best seller, it is currently a top seller in UK. Lots of people buying it after seeing the movie.

This set has been slated by almost everyone on here, however I think this could potentially be a winner as lots of kids are buying this set.

I agree this set has been quick to go on sale, however just because previous lego sets that have gone on sale early have done bad eol, could this be the set that "bucks" the trend?

So this movie hasn't had the best of reviews, however people are still going out to see it, in a few weeks it should recoup it's budget of $144 million.

I've been to a few toy stores / lego stores and it seems like this is a best seller, it is currently a top seller in UK. Lots of people buying it after seeing the movie.

This set has been slated by almost everyone on here, however I think this could potentially be a winner as lots of kids are buying this set.

I agree this set has been quick to go on sale, however just because previous lego sets that have gone on sale early have done bad eol, could this be the set that "bucks" the trend?

I don't think anyone said it wasn't a good set. It is a good set.
  • Like 1