Recommended $30 Set for Age 14 boy

doejaster

Question

Hello!

Each Christmas my wife and I participate in the "Angel Tree" project by buying gifts for children whose parents are in prison.  This year I immediately focused on one for a 14 year-old male who desires LEGO.  The gift has to be valued at $25-$30.  So I need to fight my desire to use Kmart Voodoo and get a $60 set since the goal is that all children (when there are multiple in a family) feel like they are being treated equally.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure I know what a 14 year-old male would be interested in.  I feel like that is too old for Ninjago.  Am I wrong?  Was leaning towards Super Heroes or maybe Star Wars.  

The price range has me looking at:

76034 - The Batboat Harbor Pursuit

76031 - The Hulk Buster Smash

75049 - Snowspeeder

75091 - Flash Speeder

75044 - Droid Tri-fighter

Honestly, none of those Star Wars sets are really speaking to me.  So I'm debating between the Batman set and the Hulk Buster, trying to put myself in the mindset of which one has the most play value.  As much as I like the Hulk Buster, I feel like the Batman set might have more to offer.  Any thoughts?

Any other sets I should be considering?

Thanks!

One more pitch: 10696 Classic Medium Creative Box $28.99.

Kind of boring, I know, but about the safest bet out there if you want to make sure the recipient will like it.  Fits nicely in the desired price range. And who here would turn down a free box of classic Lego?  Has a nice plastic storage box - can easily fit more inside if you have a storage problem (and who doesn't?). The perfect gift for a Lego fan that-you-don't-really-know-what-his-preferences-are.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meganr said:

...Just a general thought... I think sometimes people assume a teenager is too mature for "toys", but I think they are often actually into it, but feel pressure to be "cool" and say they are not.

Yea, 14 is really hard when you may not know the individual personally... 14 is 2 years away from driving but not so many more years away from the childhood toys, the Grevious figure does stride the line pretty well from a building "toy" to an uber-geek "display" than no one would question it's maturity (well almost I suppose)  it's a good compromise that has a coolness and not likely to cause embarrassment.  still at 186 parts it's a short build & not really reconfigurable like a technic set would have the potential for.  (maybe toss in some LEDs and wiring stuffs to make it educational :-)

• Like 1

Hi, I think for me since the " Star Wars " movie is now showing in cinemas and trending it would be perfect Christmas gift. I saw this site that sells Lego Star Wars collectibles that can suite's your budget. They have a lots of Lego variety's to choose from. Check this link https://mums.sg/index.php?route=product%2Fsearch&search=lego. I believe this may help you think and choose for a great Christmas present.