Recommended $30 Set for Age 14 boy

doejaster

Question

Hello!

Each Christmas my wife and I participate in the "Angel Tree" project by buying gifts for children whose parents are in prison.  This year I immediately focused on one for a 14 year-old male who desires LEGO.  The gift has to be valued at $25-$30.  So I need to fight my desire to use Kmart Voodoo and get a $60 set since the goal is that all children (when there are multiple in a family) feel like they are being treated equally.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure I know what a 14 year-old male would be interested in.  I feel like that is too old for Ninjago.  Am I wrong?  Was leaning towards Super Heroes or maybe Star Wars.  

The price range has me looking at:

76034 - The Batboat Harbor Pursuit

76031 - The Hulk Buster Smash

75049 - Snowspeeder

75091 - Flash Speeder

75044 - Droid Tri-fighter

Honestly, none of those Star Wars sets are really speaking to me.  So I'm debating between the Batman set and the Hulk Buster, trying to put myself in the mindset of which one has the most play value.  As much as I like the Hulk Buster, I feel like the Batman set might have more to offer.  Any thoughts?

Any other sets I should be considering?

Thanks!

If the child asked for Legos than I think you are safe with a Star Wars or Superhero set.  At fourteen he knows what he likes and so this is way of asking for it.  Either the HulkBuster or Bat Boat is a way to go.  Either will give him a break from the real world for a little bit and that is what it is about?  Personally, I'd go with the HulkBuster

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doejaster said:

Hello!

Each Christmas my wife and I participate in the "Angel Tree" project by buying gifts for children whose parents are in prison.  This year I immediately focused on one for a 14 year-old male who desires LEGO.  The gift has to be valued at $25-$30.  So I need to fight my desire to use Kmart Voodoo and get a $60 set since the goal is that all children (when there are multiple in a family) feel like they are being treated equally.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure I know what a 14 year-old male would be interested in.  I feel like that is too old for Ninjago.  Am I wrong?  Was leaning towards Super Heroes or maybe Star Wars.  

The price range has me looking at:

76034 - The Batboat Harbor Pursuit

76031 - The Hulk Buster Smash

75049 - Snowspeeder

75091 - Flash Speeder

75044 - Droid Tri-fighter

Honestly, none of those Star Wars sets are really speaking to me.  So I'm debating between the Batman set and the Hulk Buster, trying to put myself in the mindset of which one has the most play value.  As much as I like the Hulk Buster, I feel like the Batman set might have more to offer.  Any thoughts?

Any other sets I should be considering?

Thanks!

I'd go for The Batboat Harbor Pursuit

• Like 1

Hulk buster is a great set for play or display, at 14 its likely more about the build and display value than sitting on the floor playing.  at that age minecraft may be good too, or of course the Vader battle fig.

also what about the mclaren pit stop? anyone into cars would find it cool.

not sure if they gave you any other details but there are so many options depending on what they are into.

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

What about architecture?  

I hadn't considered that line.  I always think of it as geared toward us adults that want to make our LEGO addiction look adult-ish, haha.  Is it popular with young teens as well?

36 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I would get a technic for a 14 year old. There are plenty of cool ones around $30.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I only hesitate because technic is so different and the request was simply "Lego set".  I feel like if that isn't what he had in mind I could really disappoint.

6 minutes ago, doejaster said:

I hadn't considered that line.  I always think of it as geared toward us adults that want to make our LEGO addiction look adult-ish, haha.  Is it popular with young teens as well?

I'd say it depends on what the teen is into.  I'd say architecture or technic is where you go when they hit that age.  But, you can get Big Ben, Lincoln Memorial, Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate,  and the Leaning Tower of Pisa for around 30.00 right now on amazon.  I see those like giving a kid a "cool almost adult like puzzle".  I guess it just depends on the kid.

9 minutes ago, jay4e said:

Hulk buster is a great set for play or display, at 14 its likely more about the build and display value than sitting on the floor playing.  at that age minecraft may be good too, or of course the Vader battle fig.

not sure if they gave you any other details but there are so many options depending on what they are into.

Hadn't thought of the Vader battle fig!  And you're right, the display value may be more important at that age.  

I wish there was more info because as we all know LEGO covers a broad range of interests and we all have our favorites.

22 minutes ago, jay4e said:

yes yes yes and yes,  great choices.  mclaren pit stop is really cool - 14 kid could be a gearhead in the making .  or get minecraft the farm.   minecraft is hitting home at 14.  can't go wrong with that Vader figure - gotta start hoarding that one at some point for long term - money staring you in the face.  Hulkbuster is a little bit more kiddish for an eighth grader or freshman in high school but still fun.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

I'm sure that a bunch of us would be willing to let go of an Exo-Suit to support your cause. It's right in your price range, is a bit more of a challenging build, and would probably interest a fourteen year old boy. Otherwise super heroes or Star Wars is the way to go. What about the new Star Wars sets? With the movie being released right around Christmas those may interest him as well.

• Like 2

I would say the Vader or Grievous figure or the Eiffel Tower.  The ET may have more significance now given the tragedy that occurred in France last week.  If you have no idea of his interests, I'd go with the SW sets.  If you find out more about him and he's a bit more mature, I'd go with the ET.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doejaster said:

... has to be valued at $25-$30.  So I need to fight my desire to use Kmart Voodoo and get a $60 set since the goal is that all children (when there are multiple in a family) feel like they are being treated equally..

Really? I feel like this charity is very fortunate to have a volunteer like yourself with special skills perfectly suited for buying Lego at the best possible price... seems a shame to "not use your witchcraft".  Who are you trying to be... Samantha in Bewitched? :)  So one kid gets a MSRP $40 Lego, and his brother gets a $25 video game (that he wanted) and sister gets some $28 doll (that she wanted) ... is someone really gonna feel like they got short changed?  To me, a $40 Lego on the table next to other $25 - $30 toys sure doesn't look like much.  Of course, I understand... someone could feel short changed... just my 2 cents.

Of the choices given here, I also lean towards the Hulkbuster... It's just the coolest.  Minecraft is OK if you like Minecraft, but if you don't, it looks dumb.  But who doesn't like Iron Man and the Hulk? 

But if you could see your way to work a little magic, I like the 3-in-1 Creator sets like the Mountain Hut.

Edited by Kenxxx
  • Like 2

I really like the Minecraft sets. I don't play Minecraft, and they still speak to me. They lead to more open ended play and feel like classic LEGO. I love Snow Hideout. Exo Suit has less playability, but is another good choice for that age. It's an uncommon set (outside of LEGO enthusiasts), and his friends will be impressed. 

• Like 2

luckily he got you, someone else would have looked at that $30 price tag and just grabbed the first set that came along in that price range. "Oh look at this cute LEGO Juniors Batcave, it's just the price range I needed."

how hard is the $30 limit? On Amazon right now, you could get the First Order Snowspeeder or TIE Advance prototype for $32. I'm not sure how much drugged out hippies in vans resonate with 14 year olds, but there's also the mystery machine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

Really? I feel like this charity is very fortunate to have a volunteer like yourself with special skills perfectly suited for buying Lego at the best possible price... seems a shame to "not use your witchcraft".  Who are you trying to be... Samantha in Bewitched? :)  So one kid gets a MSRP $40 Lego, and his brother gets a $25 video game (that he wanted) and sister gets some $28 doll (that she wanted) ... is someone really gonna feel like they got short changed?  To me, a $40 Lego on the table next to other $25 - $30 toys sure doesn't look like much.  Of course, I understand... someone could feel short changed... just my 2 cents.

Of the choices given here, I also lean towards the Hulkbuster... It's just the coolest.  Minecraft is OK if you like Minecraft, but if you don't, it looks dumb.  But who doesn't like Iron Man and the Hulk? 

But if you could see your way to work a little magic, I like the 3-in-1 Creator sets like the Mountain Hut.

Totally agree on this.  I usually adopt a couple of families for the holidays and come up with a number I want to spend on each person.  Then I work all the magic I can for each person based on what they asked for.  If I can get $250 worth of stuff for a family of 4, I'm doing it, hard limits be damned.  I would ask if any of the people receiving gifts gives a rat's tail if someone else's stack looks more expensive if their own stack looks like I spent $75 on them.

• Like 1

As a 16 year old myself, I'd go for a Super Heroes set over Star Wars (larger mass appeal, even though personally I am a bigger fan of SW). There are also some pretty cool CITY sets that I'd also recommend, and you actually get more since its a non-licensed theme. If you don't mind some research, Brickset has written up an article on 2015 Holiday toy suggestions for sub $25 and $25-$50.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎47‎:‎17‎, Ed Mack said:

Coolest set around.  $35.00, but you can find them cheaper.

This is on my 7-year old daughter's wish list. She loves his legs. Her wish list also includes Minecraft Desert Outpost, Friends Recording Studio, Duplo Doc McStuffins, Chima Ice Fortress, and Knowhere Escape. Quite a variety lol.

Just a general thought... I think sometimes people assume a teenager is too mature for "toys", but I think they are often actually into it, but feel pressure to be "cool" and say they are not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meganr said:

This is on my 7-year old daughter's wish list. She loves his legs. Her wish list also includes Minecraft Desert Outpost, Friends Recording Studio, Duplo Doc McStuffins, Chima Ice Fortress, and Knowhere Escape. Quite a variety lol.

Just a general thought... I think sometimes people assume a teenager is too mature for "toys", but I think they are often actually into it, but feel pressure to be "cool" and say they are not.

This is probably my favorite set of recent memory.  The feet are awesome and there is a custom cape you can buy to finish it off.  

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10041&campid=5337057111&customid=setsEBAY-US&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=281844304922

• Like 2

Wow, didn't expect so much feedback!  Not sure if the choice is easier or not at this point, haha.  Seriously gave me a lot to consider and I appreciate all of the view points.  A lot of good suggestions here and many sets I had not considered (like Speed Champions, SW figure builds, Minecraft, etc).  I'm debating how much I can get away with pushing the limit of "$30 value", haha considering some of the sales and discounts available.  At the moment a lot of the advice towards Hulk Buster has made that one stick out, as well as the Vader or Grievous builds.  

Thanks again all, appreciate the opinions :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doejaster said:

Wow, didn't expect so much feedback!  Not sure if the choice is easier or not at this point, haha.  Seriously gave me a lot to consider and I appreciate all of the view points.  A lot of good suggestions here and many sets I had not considered (like Speed Champions, SW figure builds, Minecraft, etc).  I'm debating how much I can get away with pushing the limit of "$30 value", haha considering some of the sales and discounts available.  At the moment a lot of the advice towards Hulk Buster has made that one stick out, as well as the Vader or Grievous builds.  

Thanks again all, appreciate the opinions :) 

3 minifigures, a bigfig and a larger Iron Man suit are definitely great for play value.

• Like 1