Slave I vs Tumbler

Slave I (75060) vs Tumbler (76023)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which set will perform better? Slave I (75060) or Tumbler (76023)

• Slave I
    • Tumbler

Which set do you think will perform better after retirement: Slave I or Tumbler?  Many of us know that Slave I was released six months after Tumbler, that it makes more sense to invest in sets that are closer to retirement prior to sets that are farther from retirement, and it wise to diversify one's portfolio, but strictly going off the question of "which set do you think will perform better after retirement" what are your thoughts?

Edited by Cashmoney-0

I think Slave 1 will do better in the long run. Yeah it will be remade in non-UCS fashion but every Lego and Star Wars collector has to have one. Seeing this set on a gaming news website brought me out of my 30 year-long Dark Ages. The force is strong with this one. 

It won't retire for a couple of years so you have plenty of time to get one, or five.

I guess I'm one of the few that choose the Tumbler over the Slave 1. I'm willing to place my money where my mouth is and say once the UCS Tumbler goes away we won't see another UCS Tumbler. Another future UCS Batman vehicle may be made but I don't it will be a Tumbler. Star Wars UCS sets give me pause though as this license may continue on for another decade or more and the likelihood of LEGO doing re-releases or slightly warming over existing and previous UCS sets in the SW vein is much more likely. Strong subjects like the DS, Falcon, X-Wing, and Slave 1 have a good chance of being released again in the future.

Edited by lobo1969
  • Like 1

My vote is for Slave I for reasons already posted, but I also believe it to be the superior design of the 2.  I have yet to build both, but have seen both of them and I think the Slave I is an absolutely beautiful set.  Tumbler is very dark and cool and a definite must have for Batman lovers, but it seems a bit disjointed with pieces just barely hanging on.  Figures are cool with both sets, but you have to say that Heath Ledger Joker has less of a chance at being re-made where this iteration of Boba could show up in a future Slave I or Cloud City set.

Slave 1 may have a longer production run than The Tumbler, simply because of the current popularity of the Star Wars theme with the new trilogy of films coming out this year and the next years. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy is finished and sets from those movies will get retired when interest declines. The new Batman vs Superman film coming out next year will undoubtedly start a new Batman franchise, unrelated to the older existing Batman sets. 

If The Tumbler gets retired earlier than expected it might pick up demand by collector's who missed out on it. I expect a higher production run for Slave-1 than for The Tumbler, but the Star Wars hype will also create a higher demand for it. 

Both UCS sets will not likely be re-made any time soon, or ever (The Tumbler especially has little risk of that happening). 

All things considered, I still think in the end the UCS Slave-1 will do better in the long run.

(Needless to say: I have one of each set MISB stored away for a rainy day. :victory: )

Edited by Haay

I have run the numbers through my ship's main computer (please, no Snot Rocket jokes).  The results are that 5 years after retirement, the Tumbler will have a higher unit price, but shallow demand.  *checks readout*  The estimate is for a price of about $500 in 2020, assuming the Tumbler retires in 2018.

The Slave 1 will have a modest price of about $375, in the year 2025, which is five years after its retirement in 2020.   It will be readily available through Star Wars the Force Awakens, Star Wars Rogue One, Star Wars the Han Solo Adventure, and the Boba Fett growing up as a teen Bounty Hunter web series.  The lower price is due to the massive amounts of hoarded sets, not because of demand.  In fact, my computer here says that "Quantities of Slave 1's will be available from third parties through at least the mid 2100's."

Edited by snot
  • Like 1

I've voted for the Tumbler, but I agree to Haay's analysis.

I think in the short run the Tumbler will be the winner but in the long run Slave I will catch up.

But it really is difficult to say as both have their pros and cons. For hardcore collectors the Tumbler (including the joker minifig!) might be more desireable than Slave I (which is the fourth Slave I we got from LEGO right?). The minifigs are not rare (okay boba has got a arm print and the bespin guard is only included in this set but I don't think he really is sticking out... and I bet LEGO might come up with another arm printed boba fett later on) and there are cheaper alternatives. Also there are A LOT awesome Star Wars UCS sets out there to satisfy your needs. It has got the franchise going for it though.

The Tumbler on the other hand probably will be the only Tumbler we'll ever see from LEGO and it includes this unique Joker minifig. Cons of the Tumbler is that it is "just" another batmobile. In my opinion there really isn't anything spectacular about it. I'll always think of Boba Fett when I hear "Slave I" there is no other Ship he ever used. The Tumbler is the next generation car from Batman... I might think of batman when I hear tumbler but will future generations? I don't know. The Tumbler just isn't as iconic as Slave I.

Slave I is still a young set so I don't own any yet but I'm planning on doing so. As somebody pointed out earlier: Probably it's a good idea to have at least one of each.

• Like 1

I'm going with Slave 1.  Although it was only a "one drunk telling another story" there was talk of one of the stand alone films being a Boba one.  If that's true S1 kills it i reckon (by the time **** out/confirmed surely this will be retired by then).

But with at least 5 years of SW hype coming (for which i couldn't be happier) S1 has my vote.  Iconic ship, yes highly likely it will be remade and remade again but they wont be the UCS version.  In fact pair this one with the upcoming Bespin carbon freeze chamber set and that's a winner right there.

I have run the numbers through my ship's main computer (please, no Snot Rocket jokes).  The results are that 5 years after retirement, the Tumbler will have a higher unit price, but shallow demand.  *checks readout*  The estimate is for a price of about $500 in 2020, assuming the Tumbler retires in 2018.

The Slave 1 will have a modest price of about $375, in the year 2025, which is five years after its retirement in 2020.   It will be readily available through Star Wars the Force Awakens, Star Wars Rogue One, Star Wars the Han Solo Adventure, and the Boba Fett growing up as a teen Bounty Hunter web series.  The lower price is due to the massive amounts of hoarded sets, not because of demand.  In fact, my computer here says that "Quantities of Slave 1's will be available from third parties through at least the mid 2100's.

^^ Jokes.... although can i get access to your computer as i have a few more sets I'd like to get the low down on :)

The Slave 1 will have a modest price of about $375, in the year 2025, which is five years after its retirement in 2020.   It will be readily available through Star Wars the Force Awakens, Star Wars Rogue One, Star Wars the Han Solo Adventure, and the Boba Fett growing up as a teen Bounty Hunter web series.  The lower price is due to the massive amounts of hoarded sets, not because of demand.  In fact, my computer here says that "Quantities of Slave 1's will be available from third parties through at least the mid 2100's."

Well somewhere between 2017 and 2019 we'll have "Running Man" and a dystopian future...

Not too far away from that our surrogates are coming and at least starting 2025 you'll probably have to sell all of your LEGO in order to keep the repomen away.