WALL-E Modification

ufema

Good job! BTW, I've liked all your videos.

What's the difference with the "Head Mount Modification Kit that was designed by Chris McVeigh" & whatever LEGO came up with in the new version?

Lego just replaced the hinge pieces that didn't have very nice teeth. Chris McVeigh's design uses a ball joint instead which has enough friction to hold different positions.

http://chrismcveigh.com/lego_mod_guides_2015/wall-e_head_mount.pdf

So do you know if the piece count changed?

That's unclear to me... I haven't done the change. According to all the reviews, you only need two parts (the ball joint pieces) but in the posted instructions it lists 11 parts (piece count total is 21) that you need. We'll have to wait and see if Ufema chimes in with what kind of parts he has left over and what he had to purchase to make it happen I guess. :)

• Like 1

I just finished editing the Lego Ideas WALL-E set.  I purchased and included in the video the Head Mount Modification Kit that was designed by Chris McVeigh

Thanks for including our parts kit!  Even though we're selling the kits designed by Chris, I don't actually have a copy of Wall-E yet to see the difference.  Based on your video, I can see that it definitely makes the head more posable, without restricting any movement.

• Like 1

It's hard to put into words.  I'll try.  The "top pieces" that hold the eyes in place, need to securely fastened to the female end of the "ball joint".  Chris successfully pulled it off using the various technic pieces.  If you pause your way through the video, you'll see what I'm talking about.  I hope this answer helps.  Let me know if it doesn't.  I'll try to do better.

That's unclear to me... I haven't done the change. According to all the reviews, you only need two parts (the ball joint pieces) but in the posted instructions it lists 11 parts (piece count total is 21) that you need. We'll have to wait and see if Ufema chimes in with what kind of parts he has left over and what he had to purchase to make it happen I guess. :)