The Downward Spiral - LEGO Quality Standards

It may be a stretch trying to make a straight comparison between a vehicle and a toy but there are some basic principles we as a consumer expect from a product regardless of sticker price (although I will add the higher the price then the higher of level for perfection is expected).

• Stability of design
    How well the model can handle the rough laws of physics and randomness in nature. Truthfully the design could be considered ugly as sin in my eyes or yours. What matters is if it holds together and endures against the rough vigors of life.

• Quality of material
    The level of refinement for the raw ingredients ultimately affects the end result meaning even if one were using the best equipment yet the lowest grade textiles then all you would get back is a well-made piece of junk.

• Consistency between inventory
    While nothing can realistically be hundred percent accurate to each item rolling off the assembly line, the technologies available make any possible discrepancies quite minimal.

• Safety of usability
    Well obviously the last thing we want is for the product to suddenly explode in a great ball of fire for no good reason. Ha. There are numerous standardized tests of endurance a company has set aside for its product. However some bugs can still slip through and only rear their ugly head under more normal everyday living circumstances or difficult to recreate rare occurrences.

Although the valley between pricing for a toy car to an actual car is enormous and more is to be expected from the real thing (rightfully so), there is a general level in what is to be expected from either one. Of course a person cannot demand for example a Hot Wheels model of a Rolls Royce to be the same as the real deal yet even so one should count on the toy to be of good quality and actually look like the vehicle it is based on.

Perhaps this is why many are disappointed by LEGO's latest Creator Expert Ferrari because it is not completely perfect in their eyes.

• Like 1

I'm putting my you know who tin foil hat on to point out they need to care more about their branding, for sure.  Here's the primary product they have link'd on Amazon for LEGO.  They do need to be more aggressive to thwart knock-offs, especially at major retailers.

Top of the page when you search for "Star Wars Legos"

Amazon_search.thumb.jpg.106b70bed86299cfminifig.thumb.jpg.905a670ea7aef7be5ac88c

Edited by exciter1

I'm putting my you know who tin foil hat on to point out they need to care more about their branding, for sure.  Here's the primary product they have link'd on Amazon for LEGO.  They do need to be more aggressive to thwart knock-offs, especially at major retailers.

Top of the page when you search for "Star Wars Legos"

Check out the accessories on 3PO. That just proofed my theory of C-3PO being the 1 true Sith. :D

• Like 2

On a standards note: Toyota sets the standard with cars, many other companies use parts of the QC process in their own companies. Their goal is to only have 7 "lemon" cars out of 1 million. There are usually less than that. There may be a minor flaw here or there, but only 7 or less out of 1 million.

Your lego may have a minor flaw, but is it a "lemon" where entire set poor enough quality? Probably not.

BTW this was talked about at a latest anesthesia conference. There are less than 7 bad outcomes from anesthesia in 1 million surgeries. Sure you may chip a tooth, or get some sort of abrasion, but a "anesthesia F'ed up, and patient is screwed" is about 4-5 in a million

On a standards note: Toyota sets the standard with cars, many other companies use parts of the QC process in their own companies. Their goal is to only have 7 "lemon" cars out of 1 million. There are usually less than that. There may be a minor flaw here or there, but only 7 or less out of 1 million.

Your lego may have a minor flaw, but is it a "lemon" where entire set poor enough quality? Probably not.

BTW this was talked about at a latest anesthesia conference. There are less than 7 bad outcomes from anesthesia in 1 million surgeries. Sure you may chip a tooth, or get some sort of abrasion, but a "anesthesia F'ed up, and patient is screwed" is about 4-5 in a million

I bet those conferences really put you to sleep.

• Like 5

Been to three NIN concerts and had one shirt that I wore constantly (tan with downward spiral art).  It did not survive.

"Further down the spiral" tour was the pinnacle, and it has been downhill since then.  Trent got all pumped up, Trent got married.  I'd still see them again though.

Like just about every musician, their creativity and talent leaves when their drug habit ends.

Been to three NIN concerts and had one shirt that I wore constantly (tan with downward spiral art).  It did not survive.

"Further down the spiral" tour was the pinnacle, and it has been downhill since then.  Trent got all pumped up, Trent got married.  I'd still see them again though.

The Fragile is just as good as TDS. fwiw have seen them 30 times. Met Trent once, nice as could be. 

• Like 1

And, in recent times, Toyota has set the standard on mass recalls too. Even the mighty can fall if they become complacent.

The Fragile is just as good as TDS. fwiw have seen them 30 times. Met Trent once, nice as could be. 

Much respect for going 30 times.  I've had this debate with my friends many times, and I respectfully disagree.  Maybe if you smash the fragile into one disc it can come close to TDS, but no way.  It made his career, it had insanely catchy hooks in every song, it's top dog by far.

• Like 1

Much respect for going 30 times.  I've had this debate with my friends many times, and I respectfully disagree.  Maybe if you smash the fragile into one disc it can come close to TDS, but no way.  It made his career, it had insanely catchy hooks in every song, it's top dog by far.

Yea I agree TDS is his master work. The Fragile is bloated and would have worked better as one album, Trent has admitted as much. Still it has several songs that are as good as anything he has ever done. I think it's the last of the classic NIN era. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

just opened up one of the target minifigure cubes.  This was the first time I have bought from a retailer and thought I got Chinese knock offs. I've only pulled out Lightning Lad so far but both legs and arms are super lose.  The fig also has no clutch power at all when attached to the base plate.  how disappointing 

• 3 weeks later...