Countdown to Force Friday...Unveiling of The Force Awakens Toys

emazers

So im guessing the fall lego catalog was not suppose to be up on LEGO Shop at Home...

catalog is still available here http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=LEGO/3633-usfall-base but it is not showing for me in the catalog list...

and why do they bother waiting till 2 days before when they know 90% of the toys will leak in the weeks leading up to it.

Edited by jay4e

There will be an awakening on YouTube next week, with the news that Lucasfilm and Disney will unveil the Star Wars: The Force Awakens toy line live on YouTube as part of an 18-hour broadcast from multiple locations across the globe Sept. 3.

The "Countdown to Force Friday" event will launch in Sydney, Australia at 7:45am local time, before leapfrogging to Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, London, Rio De Janeiro, New York, Toronto, Chicago, Mexico City, San Francisco and Los Angeles across the broadcast, during which products from the Force Awakens toyline will be unboxed for the first time. Each of the 15 locations will feature the reveal of a new product by a personality from Disney's Maker Studios video network.

“We’ve seen tremendous excitement for these new products and can’t wait to see the global reaction from the Star Wars fan community," Leslie Ferraro, President, Disney Consumer Products, told StarWars.com about the event.

The event comes a day before Sept. 4's "Force Friday," in which Force Awakens merchandise — including the toys receiving their premiere as part of the YouTube stream, as well as tie-in prose novels — will be released to the public for the first time, with more than 1,000 stores opening at midnight for the most hardcore fans to shop early.

Full details about the event can be found here. May the Force, and a lot of patience, be with you.

Should be fun to watch...The complete article from The Hollywood Reporter can be found HERE...

I have no interest if watching 24 hours of unboxing toys (or whatever length it was that they're doing) but this might be the best thing I read all day:

http://brickset.com/article/16500

So Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle was based off a sneak peak and some initial design sketches. Read the 4th comment down if you want to know how I feel about this particular set. :)

I have no interest if watching 24 hours of unboxing toys (or whatever length it was that they're doing) but this might be the best thing I read all day:

So Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle was based off a sneak peak and some initial design sketches. Read the 4th comment down if you want to know how I feel about this particular set. :)

Where did you hear that it is based off a rough sketch?

For a character as important as Kylo Ren I too would have expected his ship design to be more agressive and pointed.

Even this concept art is better imo.

But but but that design would not have included wings that could be folded down :P

Hmm, that droid in the concept art looked awfully familiar....  I really hope it was just a coincidence...

But but but that design would not have included wings that could be folded down :P

Hmm, that droid in the concept art look awfully familiar....  I really hope it was just a coincidence...

i just googled "force awakens concept art" to anchor my point. (doubt there is a coincidence)

Wow.  Well, I guess we know who to blame (Lucasfilm vs LEGO).  I get the need for secrecy, but come on.  You want your products to look like what people will see on screen.

Wow.  Well, I guess we know who to blame (Lucasfilm vs LEGO).  I get the need for secrecy, but come on.  You want your products to look like what people will see on screen.

Yeah, that's what NDAs and digital signing/encryption are for. We really don't know what they saw and what was brought to them, but to not have real photos must have been a bummer. Also it says initial design sketches which are probably a lot more accurate than the concept art that was released/leaked.

As usual this stuff will probably look better built that in a photo, but it just seems to be a really poor decision. What else has LEGO been working on for future waves that they've had to do from photos and sketches? Might make all those fab OT sets that much more desirable to the nit picky collector!

• Like 1

But here's the thing....if you want the Kylo Ren figure, which looks awesome, this is your only ticket. 

And I like how the end of Rey's "staff" looks like it will nicely hold a lightsaber blade at some point.  Coincidence?  Pshaw....

For now.  If he's the big baddy, he'll show up in the Wave 2 as well.

It just says 'initial set designs' were based on their sketches, not the finished product. Having a rough idea of what the ship looked like would have been enough for Lego to look at how they might go about designing it and come up with some initial designs or protos. Presumably they would have been updated with better images as they went along, in order to get closer to the real thing and add detail.