Collection VS Investment - "The reaping"

Greetings,

I've been collecting LEGO for the past 8-10 years or so and just out of habit from other collectibles I would buy 2, one to open and one to put away MISB. However as my LEGO collection has grown and the number of sets that has come out has increased in the past 3-4 years I've had to limit many to only one instead of two. I've always been aware that LEGO increases in value after retirement, which is part of the collecting appeal IMO, but after entering my collection into the data base here I was happily surprised at just how much some of the sets have gone up.

Now for the dilemma......... As a fan of LEGO and love of the brick I want nothing more then to tear into some of these sets. However, when I see what the real world value of them are I just cant. Just wondering who else has this conflict. Also when as a collector do you decide to sell or wait for the prices to go up? And on that same note when is the value monetarily more then the value to your collection?

Thanx guys

Greetings,

I've been collecting LEGO for the past 8-10 years or so and just out of habit from other collectibles I would buy 2, one to open and one to put away MISB. However as my LEGO collection has grown and the number of sets that has come out has increased in the past 3-4 years I've had to limit many to only one instead of two. I've always been aware that LEGO increases in value after retirement, which is part of the collecting appeal IMO, but after entering my collection into the data base here I was happily surprised at just how much some of the sets have gone up.

Now for the dilemma......... As a fan of LEGO and love of the brick I want nothing more then to tear into some of these sets. However, when I see what the real world value of them are I just cant. Just wondering who else has this conflict. Also when as a collector do you decide to sell or wait for the prices to go up? And on that same note when is the value monetarily more then the value to your collection?

Thanx guys

Yeah same> Now  I try to by a used set to build as well as sealed ones to put away. I will open smaller sets, but usually only build used larger ones.

What's crazy is to look at everything and realize how much was spent, and then think that if that money was in a bank, how many things it could purchase....like a car...or two...or a college tuition...or two.  But instead there are countless boxes of lego and millions of bricks.

Keep them out of sight... it helps fight the urge :)

I am also worried that I will wake up one day to my kids going on a rampage and just opening stuff too!

That my friend is why they are in boxes in a closet and the basement. Although since coming here I've been inventorying them and its like putting a pile of white in front of Richard Pryor and saying dont touch............lol 

What's crazy is to look at everything and realize how much was spent, and then think that if that money was in a bank, how many things it could purchase....like a car...or two...or a college tuition...or two.  But instead there are countless boxes of lego and millions of bricks.

I haven't gotten up to pending enough to buy a car, at least not a car Im willing to drive, but the value they are at would certainly buy a pretty damn nice ride..................:money:

Greetings,

Thanx guys

Great description of the problem that I also have, longshot!   Rather than skulking around toy store websites and on Bricklink, try to cultivate other interests and hobbies and take your mind off Legos.  This brick addiction/obsession/dependency can't be good for any of us.  If you can't stay away even for a little while, then you know you need counseling.   -tongue in cheek-  

• Like 1

Great description of the problem that I also have, longshot!   Rather than skulking around toy store websites and on Bricklink, try to cultivate other interests and hobbies and take your mind off Legos.  This brick addiction/obsession/dependency can't be good for any of us.  If you can't stay away even for a little while, then you know you need counseling.   -tongue in cheek-  

You sound like my wife. And she wonders why I leave piles of bricks for her to step on at night between the bed a bathroom........LOL

The only problem is the things that take my mind off LEGO are other hobbies.....Comics, toys, SS, GG etc......... 

• Like 1

'The value to your collection' is a very arbitrary and personal thing and is something you will have to decide for yourself.

As for ripping open sets you bought for investment... I find it's best to decide whether a set is for investment or personal use before you buy. Be comfortable with that decision before you get your wallet out or you will always end up with this conflict. I don't even see my investment sets as Lego sets. To me they are just boxes with a monetary value.

If you want to buy a set to build then do that, and always open it (and the bags) before it goes EOL, even if you're not going to build it right away. That way if you want to get more MISB sets for investment you still have time to do that and won't have the conflict of opening a valuable post-EOL set.

I'm not sure if you mean your collection is MISB sets or sets you've built. If it's MISB sets, then that is an investment however you look at it. You've put money into it and it has a monetary value. Otherwise it's just a  bunch of pretty boxes.

If it's a collection of built sets, then don't wait until a set is EOL before you decide you want one to build.

Also when as a collector do you decide to sell or wait for the prices to go up?

I think this is where your problem is. If you are waiting for prices to rise and looking to sell, then you are an investor, and those sets are investments. You need to keep your collecting and investing separate. Or at least, approach them as separate things.

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 1

One thing I've learned in life is that if I have trouble making a decision and keep thinking about doing something (sane and legal) a lot, I need to just do it. The peace of mind and satisfaction that follows is priceless.

I would apply that same simple philosophy to your valuable unopened sets. I bet there are a few that just keep calling to you... in my opinion, it sounds like finances are no problem, so if you originally bought them to build, then there is no harm in building them even though you instantly lose a lot of value. Another option is to check for used copies of the set for (often) half or less the price and "trade down" while using the extra moolah for whatever else you like.

I imagine there are also several of your sets that have lost some appeal over the years, or perhaps you don't have space to display everything you bought... maybe you can "weed out" the least desirable candidates and simply sell them for fun and profit.

Edited by Grynn
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if you mean your collection is MISB sets or sets you've built. If it's MISB sets, then that is an investment however you look at it. You've put money into it and it has a monetary value. Otherwise it's just a  bunch of pretty boxes.

Most of my collection is MISB, just like many of the toys over the years I've left MOC or MIB. I enjoy the hunt as well as the fact that buying usually what I like I wont mind if the value doesn't go up. I do love to build though and have many sets I've bought and built and MOD'd over the years. And now with my daughter we build with her LEGO all the time. 

I think there is a balance between investment and collection that I agree is personal and is different for everyone. I cant say I walk that line very well but give it a try anyhow.........lol. Someone mentioned earlier about "weeding things out" that I totally agree with. I know I've bought multiple sets of themes that Im not in love with and those can def go. The fact that they are way up is just a bonus.............=)

PS. If they ever do a complete steam punk line of LEGO Im F'd.............lol

• Like 1

I remember seeing someone post here (somewhere) that they wont open a set without having at least another 5 of the same. I think that's a good rule of thumb, although it means i'm gonna have to wait ages before i can build the Tumbler!

When I buy sets, they go straight into my spare room. As soon as they're in the room and the door is shut, They ain't getting opened! Makes for a good conversion when her folks come for a visit though.... 

I remember seeing someone post here (somewhere) that they wont open a set without having at least another 5 of the same. I think that's a good rule of thumb, although it means i'm gonna have to wait ages before i can build the Tumbler!

When I buy sets, they go straight into my spare room. As soon as they're in the room and the door is shut, They ain't getting opened! Makes for a good conversion when her folks come for a visit though.

Soooooooooo...........What happens when they sell one of the 5 before they build? Wait to replace it? LOL 

I don't see why you should deprive yourself. If you really want to crack open a set to build, do it. Just keep the box and manual and good shape and if you need to, sell it used at a price higher than what you paid for it. It's a win win. 

I've also bought a few sets off of AWD for my personal use. Picked up the UCS Sandcrawler, Palace Cinema and VW Camper that way.

Look at it this way...what is worth more to you:  a Haunted House or $350?  Answer that question (but using whatever set you have and weigh it against what it would net you. Do not factor in RRP...that money is gone) and you have your answer as to what to do.

It seems simple because it really is.  Now...when emotions get involved, it gets more difficult.  :)  Either way, have fun and enjoy the sets (or money) and you win.

I put one aside for me if I want it, and the rest for investment whether it be 2/5/10/more depending on my target set. 
Plenty of times I have just looked at stuff in my personal collection and moved to my investment lot, trying to secure a cheap used or sealed copy still.
If I really want to build something though 9 times out of 10 I do it straight away

I know its going to be a different number for everyone but what are peoples levels in terms of buying used clean sets vs sealed ones?  

I'm looking at getting a tumbler for the personal collection so hunting out a used one.  Was thinking about <80% of the MRSP but thats actually proving difficult unless I want to forgo the mini-figs.  Although this could just be because its such an epic set once built people don't want to let it go.

Edited by dy2312

I know its going to be a different number for everyone but what are peoples levels in terms of buying used clean sets vs sealed ones?  

I'm looking at getting a tumbler for the personal collection so hunting out a used one.  Was thinking about >80% of the MRSP but thats actually proving difficult unless I want to forgo the mini-figs.  Although this could just be because its such an epic set once built people don't want to let it go.

I've seen brand new in box go at auction on eBay for as low as $150 pretty recently.  If you watch and hunt for a week or two, you'll be able to snag a new one for $160 or less, shipped.  Trust me, I've been watching.... :)

Soooooooooo...........What happens when they sell one of the 5 before they build? Wait to replace it? LOL 

Who knows?! I limit myself to what i can afford, built a few of the smaller sets. I'm only doing this a year or two so I try to stick to my decision when I purchase. I'm stubborn! I cant help it, i'm Irish! 

I don't see why you should deprive yourself. If you really want to crack open a set to build, do it. Just keep the box and manual and good shape and if you need to, sell it used at a price higher than what you paid for it. It's a win win. 

I've also bought a few sets off of AWD for my personal use. Picked up the UCS Sandcrawler, Palace Cinema and VW Camper that way.

I dont see it as depriving myself, I figure the monetary return will benefit me better in the long run.

I collect the Simpsons.  I invest in the everything else.  The reason is arbitrary  - space.  I can build and display the Simpson buildings but the wife would shoot me if I built a death star or a smaug or something like that and tried to set it next to Waterford, or pictures, etc.   If  I was going to go for personal at this point then I would look for good used set value and make that personal.