Chicagoland Area Forum

comicblast

I suggested this to Ed earlier today to have communities based on location where members can exchange which stores they got their deals from, meeting up and trading sets, etc. Based on my count, there are at least 87 Targets, 39 Toys R Us', over 100 Walmart's(lost count after 110), and 4 LEGO Shop at Home stores in Illinois. To start things off, I am usually in the Chicago area. I usually go to 4 Targets that are located near my house/school. They are: Chicago McKinley Chicago West Loop Chicago Mid North Chicago Near North Occasionally, I will go to a Walmart or two, and rarely go to the Lego Store because it is located in the middle of Downtown. For me, I like the Chicago West Loop location because it is new. Though all the Targets I have been to always seem to have understaffed checkout lines, I still enjoy looking on their shelves for anything that might have been misplaced. I believed that this is the location that has very organized Clearance shelves, usually with a couple employees lurking around ready to answer questions, or check the prices for stuff. While I was last at this location (Saturday), there were at least 20 Lego Heroica Draida Bay sets for about $4. I heard that Heroica was going to discontinue, so I only picked up a couple to sell immediately. Hope this theme of member location based forums grows!!!!

• Like 1

I suggested this to Ed earlier today to have communities based on location where members can exchange which stores they got their deals from, meeting up and trading sets, etc.

Based on my count, there are at least 87 Targets, 39 Toys R Us', over 100 Walmart's(lost count after 110), and 4 Lego stores in Illinois.

To start things off, I am usually in the Chicago area. I usually go to 4 Targets that are located near my house/school. They are:

Chicago McKinley

Chicago West Loop

Chicago Mid North

Chicago Near North

Occasionally, I will go to a Walmart or two, and rarely go to the Lego Store because it is located in the middle of Downtown.

For me, I like the Chicago West Loop location because it is new. Though all the Targets I have been to always seem to have understaffed checkout lines, I still enjoy looking on their shelves for anything that might have been misplaced.

I believed that this is the location that has very organized Clearance shelves, usually with a couple employees lurking around ready to answer questions, or check the prices for stuff.

While I was last at this location (Saturday), there were at least 20 Lego Heroica Draida Bay sets for about $4. I heard that Heroica was going to discontinue, so I only picked up a couple to sell immediately.

Hope this theme of member location based forums grows!!!!

Chi-town represent! I actually live a few blocks from the West Loop target so I go there usually once a week. I work downtown so I also go to the City Target (on State street). Unfortunately I haven't seen any really good clearance deals at either of these places but hope to find some soon!

Chi-town represent! I actually live a few blocks from the West Loop target so I go there usually once a week. I work downtown so I also go to the City Target (on State street). Unfortunately I haven't seen any really good clearance deals at either of these places but hope to find some soon!

West Loop is a couple blocks from my school (W.Y.****.S.). At one point, there were around 20 of the Tatooine Planet sets, like 5 Tie Interceptor Planet sets, and 1-2 Naboo Planet sets all bunched up together in a corner of the clearance section. Unfortunately, all the the boxes had some sticky residue that I tried to get off to no avail. So, I decided not to get those. I have quite a few of the planet sets, though I am not sure what future they have. They all look really cool though!

(sigh)

I wish there was a Walmart around here. All of them are either too far, or have impossible parking, making them not worth it to go...

Targets are ok, but Walmarts got its own exclusives and sets.

There is the walmart neighborhood store but it doesnt have toys.

I'm in by Elgin, I never knew how good we had it with Woodfield and the watertower lego stores less than an hour away, many people don't have the option of going to one store, let alone one of the massive ones (chicago, new york, LA ect.) Personally, I like the lego stores just for the brick walls, the rest of the store is overpriced, but I have scored some EOL sets 20% off there as well as returns.

Nice, I'll have to give them a call before I swing by there next, I got a parking ticket from LAZ last time I went even though I had a paid sticker clearly displayed in my windshield.

I hate the new parking system for Chicago. Extremely expensive parking in the Downtown area.

Almost not worth the effort unless you have someone who is willing to drive around until you are done shopping!

Plus, since the new company is a private one, you can't exactly tell the city to refund you, or whatever. You gotta go through annoying customer service, etc.

Hey guys new to Bp, I am on a transformers board that had a huge Chicago following we do meet ups and look out for each other all the time. I'm in northwest Indiana our walmarts have a ton of sets on Clarence but that are marked at regular prices. Grabbed the jabba palace for 99.97. Let me know if anyone is looking for something that isn't in the city.

• 4 weeks later...

New here also. I am in the Western Suburbs, so there are a few Walmarts, Targets and TRU within a stone's throw of my house. I am curious to hear when there are deals at specific retailers, and will post here when I learn. Glad there are other Chicagoland investors!

New here also. I am in the Western Suburbs, so there are a few Walmarts, Targets and TRU within a stone's throw of my house.

I am curious to hear when there are deals at specific retailers, and will post here when I learn.

Glad there are other Chicagoland investors!

In more of downtown Chicago (where I am located), there are only Targets which are within about 20 minutes. Target seems to have cleared out of most of the clearance Legos in the locations I have looked at. Occassionally, you will see an awesome deal, such as 24 Heroica Draida Bay for $4.

Only get to go to TRU or Walmart when I have a purpose besides Lego, because other people aren't half excited about seeing sets in boxes. They don't know what they are missing! xD. Welcome to Brick Picker!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Woodfield Mall today and hit the Lego store as well as a couple other stores. The Lego store had a couple SW BrickMaster books on their clearance section, as well as a couple other things, none of them enormous or outstanding. There were a few Series 9 CMS bags but less than 20. The Lego store also was having some problems processing credit cards and couldn't give me my VIP points automatically, so the checkout line was really long and slow. Checked out most of the Chicago area stores but none of them had Legos on sale. :(

• 3 months later...

Had a July 4th dinner with my relatives at Sweet Tomatoes, and decided to stop by the Target at Lombard, near Yorktown <as my dad put it> and they had Helms Deep for $15 off, and Series 3 Planet sets for $8. Also all of the SpongeBob sets were about 25% off, though I am not that great at mental math. Most of the Hero Factory sets were on clearance, though the best I could find was a 44000 half off, and I grabbed the only one. The Planet sets were the only SW sets on clearance.

Thanks for the update, CB! I have a feeling we are going to be getting the 30% discounts this coming Thursday (day before Black Friday discounts). Also, REDCard members get a "sneak peek" on online deals on Thursday, too. I have my wife on stand by for Target clearances and will report if/when I see something.

Anyone else in the Chicagoland area is welcome to share as well!

Thanks for the update, CB! I have a feeling we are going to be getting the 30% discounts this coming Thursday (day before Black Friday discounts). Also, REDCard members get a "sneak peek" on online deals on Thursday, too. I have my wife on stand by for Target clearances and will report if/when I see something.

Anyone else in the Chicagoland area is welcome to share as well!

No prob. I just regret that I forgot my phone, or else I would have taken pictures of all the sets that were marked down so that I could list all of them here.

Oh well... Live and learn.

Hello-

I am kinda far away, almost to Wisconsin (Waukegan-Zion area) and have a couple Target/Wal-mart stores that I try to get to.

Target has a number of sets on clearance, as of recently nearby.

76005 @ 35

79104 @ 30

9461 @ 6

9463 @ 17

9464 @ 30

5766 @ 31

31009 @ 21

79107 @ 14

79104 @ 35

60001 @ 9

60003 @ 28

And a couple of Spongebob sets and a couple of Duplo sets.

I rounded prices, most were $x.98 or $x.08 etc. I took the notes on my phone in a text to a friend.

Cashflow for me is not the greatest, so actually Buying sets is something I do less frequently than I'd like.

Hope this helps a little.

-Dhomal

Target Clearances:

76001 for $27.98

9473 MOM for $67.98

3818 for $34.98

70705 for $55.98

44000 for $13.98

Minotaurus Game for $14.38

The Hobbit Game $24.48

75006 for $8.48

Pirate Plank game for $10.48

Ninjago Game for $24.14

These were found at a Chicago Target on Roosevelt Street and Clark. Nothing outstanding, and other more suburban Targets have better deals.

Anyone in the Western Suburbs that wants an Orc Forge can head to the Hodgkins Target.  There are four left on the shelves as of last night.  I picked up one more for my portfolio. 

No discounts on these yet...

The Hodgkins Target also had many of the same discounts as these:

Target Clearances:

76001 for $27.98

9473 MOM for $67.98

3818 for $34.98

70705 for $55.98

44000 for $13.98

Minotaurus Game for $14.38

The Hobbit Game $24.48

75006 for $8.48

Pirate Plank game for $10.48

Ninjago Game for $24.14

These were found at a Chicago Target on Roosevelt Street and Clark. Nothing outstanding, and other more suburban Targets have better deals.