Huge lot of retired Star Wars sets on CL

vmnlogan

Looks like he's getting out while the getting out is still good.

The getting is already not-great on some of those sets. Many have been improved upon significantly with years of building and figure improvements. I fully understand that (and personally have the curse)Star Wars fans are often completists, but each collectible line reaches a point of "can't collect them all" and Star Wars lego did that about 4 years ago in my opin. 

Do i really want the first version Jabba's palace with the one-tone jabba, or do i want the new one, that actually looks like the interior AND the exterior from the film with infinitely better figures? OH and it combines with the Rancor Pit. 

This question can be asked for almost every set in that picture, and for some, several times over. (Looking at you Xwing, Falcon and Tie Fighters)

Once you've realized you can't collect them all, (or certainly can't display them all) you become picky. Then the first version of a set means less, and the BEST version of a set takes priority. Many of these sets pale in comparison. 

Still though, wicked awesome lot.

Of course once the "can't collect them all" really comes into play the 1st gens will go up in value & the mid streams will suffer, mid-series remakes just aren't new & flashy and aren't the first of the breed even if improved.  The 1st generation SW is already 15 years old so you're closing in on the childhood buy-backers... in 3 years or so those 10-12 year olds will be getting into their 30's & the reminiscing will begin (& they'll have income to dispose of)

Of course once the "can't collect them all" really comes into play the 1st gens will go up in value & the mid streams will suffer, mid-series remakes just aren't new & flashy and aren't the first of the breed even if improved.  The 1st generation SW is already 15 years old so you're closing in on the childhood buy-backers... in 3 years or so those 10-12 year olds will be getting into their 30's & the reminiscing will begin (& they'll have income to dispose of)

I suspect that the "12 year olds hitting their earning years phenomena" is only valid when there is a gap of 'better' options to spend dollars.

For example. Star wars toys from 1978-1985 went nuts 10 years later because there was a gap in star wars toys. Heck there was NOTHING Star Wars related for years. Once there was an alternative, it was 1995 and it was POTF2 figures which looked like he-man. In this case it was easy for nostalgia to trump the current alternative.

Now with Lego,,,,,, If you show me the lego Slave I from 2000 and the Lego Slave I from 2014, i find it HIGHLY difficult to believe that the 12 year old who played with the 1999 version is going to say, let me pay big bucks for this:

brickpicker_set_7144-1_6.jpg

or let me go to amazon.com and click buy it now on this:

brickpicker_set_75060-1_2.png

Nostalgia only holds power if it can trump a current alternative. 

* and i get that this particular set is not a fair comparison, but pick just about any set from the first waves, and it cannot hold a candle to the current incarnations. Certainly not on a cost / value basis.

Both sets, originals and remakes, still have an audience and as such, respective buyers. That goes for pretty much everything Lego. Now, how much someone wangts to pay for an original vs a remake, well that depends. In any case, this is a pretty sick listing. 

Approximate value is $6,200. FYI, this listing is from Des Moines.

If that`s the case (I believe you, just haven`t checked for myself), then if someone intends to buy these for resale, $4k-4.5k is likely the most someone might want to pay. That leaves some health margin on the bones. If he want to get the most, he should probably part the lot out and sell the sets either individually or in small groups. The only person that is going to pay $5k or more on a $6.2k lot is someone who wants them for personal use more than likely, or they are simply un-educated (in which case, they will no longer be when they go to sell :derisive:).

Edited by @rtisan

Seems like his starting price is $5000. For investment purposes, I think $3,000 is closer. It's not a terrible price for personal collection. 

Good to know, I was going to offer much less than that when I saw it this morning, so I'll save my time.  I only wanted 2 of the sets anyway. 

Nostalgia only holds power if it can trump a current alternative. 

* and i get that this particular set is not a fair comparison, but pick just about any set from the first waves, and it cannot hold a candle to the current incarnations. Certainly not on a cost / value basis.

can't say I completely agree for sure, I did buy a 7144 just to have now, around the same 15 years later the 75060... I'll probably just download the colour code & schem and just print it out on the desktop printer should I feel nostalgic then recycle it a few days later into something else. :-)

I saw this independently the other day.  It's actually also listed under Kansas City CL.  I made an offer to him that was declined lol at 2000.  Seems like he's willing to deliver if the "price is right"... I think for such a collection, if he's willing to deliver, I'd offer 4000.  What do you guys think?  Reasonable or crazy?

Guy just modified his posting, indicating that someone broke in and stole half his collection.  About 80% of the sets he had listed in the original posting were still listed in the new one, including a couple of UCS sets.

Burglars who know Lego are valuable but don't know the big sets are worth more?  Iowa needs a better class of criminal.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/tag/5083200468.html

The getting is already not-great on some of those sets. Many have been improved upon significantly with years of building and figure improvements. I fully understand that (and personally have the curse)Star Wars fans are often completists, but each collectible line reaches a point of "can't collect them all" and Star Wars lego did that about 4 years ago in my opin. 

Do i really want the first version Jabba's palace with the one-tone jabba, or do i want the new one, that actually looks like the interior AND the exterior from the film with infinitely better figures? OH and it combines with the Rancor Pit. 

This question can be asked for almost every set in that picture, and for some, several times over. (Looking at you Xwing, Falcon and Tie Fighters)

Once you've realized you can't collect them all, (or certainly can't display them all) you become picky. Then the first version of a set means less, and the BEST version of a set takes priority. Many of these sets pale in comparison. 

Still though, wicked awesome lot.

That's one of the reasons I've bought sets that just look great with good figures even if they aren't extremely popular. Whether it be Technic or SW/LOTR, if the set looks great, complex, whatever.. then it will probably have some resale value later.