Anyone amped up about E3?

binici

Video games are more or less dead for me. I just played too many of them over two decades (including Shenmue 1+2 on Dreamcast). Then some day I realised there's nothing new for me to be seen anymore - everything just repeats over and over again with better and better graphics (your "FF VII REMAKE" is so telling in that regard...). There are hardly any new ideas. Just like with movies and music. It's a pity, but it's like that. Today I play only a few times every 3 months or so, only on handhelds, not no longer on stationary consoles. I like Zen Pinball 2 on Vita and some Nintendo jump'n'runs on 3DS. However, Nintendo's ideas also are nothing new anymore, but at least their games and characters have a soul. Long gone are the times when I completed Shenmue several times in speed-running fashion just to climb up in the online rankings. I don't care about stuff like that anymore. Competing with people I don't even know is not my cup of tea. Don't understand why so many others love online multiplayer games. My video game world was a single-player one. Well, I just have to move on. Lego investing is my new hobby.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 1

I have an xbox in a box somewhere. haven't had a decent reason to turn it on in a long time. I used to play FPS games, and then moved to online multiplayer about the time of Call of Duty, but lasting 4 seconds after respawn is no fun, and seeing all those 12 year olds bouncing around like bunny rabbits is not very realistic so i just faded out eventually.

Not a big gamer overall, but do have a short list of titles that I occasionally will play, mostly FPS games and Assassin`s Creed. The Division looks great as well from the E3 2015 footage, though honestly I`m not big into co-op games. This title may been the one that hooks me, we`ll have to see. Also, Arkham Knight next week I`m looking forward to. Got the pre-order, now just need to find some time in the schedule to play it. 

DICE's STAR WARS Battlefront looks fantastic. Jeff and I are old school Battlefield players going back to Modern Combat and the PC versions and this game looks damn incredible. Might even make me turn on the XBOX again.

Yeah, just saw the footage on youtube a couple hours back. WOW!!! It looks fantastic, finally an FPS style Starwars game that could actually be done really well. Battlefront 2 is a classic, but this one just looks 10x better (if it was even possible). They`ve done a great job from the looks of it, but it`s still a step towards the perfect SW game (an FPS shooter with ultra-realism, yeah I know, dreaming, but this is much closer to that). 

EDIT: Here is some of the footage of SW BattleFront from DICE. Looks like it embedded a bit large, my apologizes if this is incorrect.  

Edited by @rtisan

Video games are more or less dead for me. I just played too many of them over two decades (including Shenmue 1+2 on Dreamcast). Then some day I realised there's nothing new for me to be seen anymore - everything just repeats over and over again with better and better graphics 

Agree completely. I used to be a huge gamer. I do own a ps4 and wiiu but rarely fire them up. Everything just seems like a rehash. I did play through GTA5 but it was just like all the others. There are few fresh ideas or everything has been done. I will continue to play new Zelda games but those are mostly rehashes too. If I game now it's pinball or classic games. 

I still have a big backlog on XBox 360.  After I completed 2000 gamerscore on Gears of War 3, I've slowed down significantly after the birth of my daughter.  I still have all the Arkham games, Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, and Red Dead Redemption in the shrink wrap. 

My son and I have mostly been playing LEGO games.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when Infinity 3.0 comes out with the Star Wars character playability.  I might go ahead and upgrade to 2 XBox Ones, since they will be backward compatible.  I have a Star Wars R2-D2 XBox 360 and I really don't want to shut it down or sell it.

I still have a big backlog on XBox 360.  After I completed 2000 gamerscore on Gears of War 3, I've slowed down significantly after the birth of my daughter.  I still have all the Arkham games, Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, and Red Dead Redemption in the shrink wrap. 

Red Dead is phenomenal. One of the best games of the past decade and one with some originality. 

• Like 1

Agree completely. I used to be a huge gamer. I do own a ps4 and wiiu but rarely fire them up. Everything just seems like a rehash. I did play through GTA5 but it was just like all the others. There are few fresh ideas or everything has been done. I will continue to play new Zelda games but those are mostly rehashes too. If I game now it's pinball or classic games. 

When I was in my glory days of gaming, I never would have thought that I could ever quit the hobby. But then came casual games, then remakes, sequel after sequel, multiplayer-only experiences, in-game payments and all that other stuff has taken over more and more and choked off the fun I once had with games. Today for the games industry (that word alone...) it's mainly about making money by serving a mass audience with mass products. Sadly, video games were killed by their own rising popularity in my eyes. Zelda and some other Nintedo IPs are one of the few franchises you can still play without being bored while being well aware of the fact that this also has been done multiple times before. As of now I have sold all my video game magazines I collected over the years but kept every game. When I asked myself honestly, if I would not like to buy a new console again to play all those new games - I looked up the 50 best-ranked titles on Metacritic for Xbox One and PS4 and came to the conclusion that close to zero of them were interesting for me at all. On the other hand I know that there are masses of people out there who don't care about playing CoD part 12, 13 or 20. They spend their money over and over again for essentially the same game. I know the economy would'nt work if there were only people like me who like innovation most. But that does not mean I have to like it.

The other thing is mobile games: When I see people today playing today on their Android phones some lousy game where you steer with one finger and no buttons, getting rewards for just doing nothing and having no challenge at all - then I sometimes think of the games of the old days I sometimes literally worked my ass off on to continue. I'm never was a fan of super-hard games though. But today these products hardly are "games" at all. It's just some touching and fiddling and joking around doing anything you like - you'll win anyway.

So be it consoles or mobile - I just don't get any fun out of most of the titles anymore and I am happy about the 2-3 games I still like playing.

I have slowed down on gaming since I have gotten into lego in the last year, but still super pumped for Final Fantasy 7. I got that game at launch and have logged hundreds, if not thousands of hours playing it over the last 20 or so years.

Edited by micbelt