Bulk Lot - Need help/advice

Hey folks! I'm looking at a deal that involves around a Rubbermaid bin and a half.  The ad says around 70 lbs. with no imitations.  The ad also says over 200 minifigs, which I believe are the best clue as to what's in here.  I had asked the seller what sets are in there, and if they have any instruction manuals.  The response:  

"I have a couple of manuals from the prince of Persia theme. I know there's lots of Star Wars Harry Potter a couple of Indiana jones city and a large crane. I'm not 100% sure that the sets are complete but everything looks to be there."

I think that's about all the info I'm going to get from the seller, tbh.  I think there may be values here, if not from minifigs alone, but the scarce information has me a bit nervous.  The seller wants 460, but I think I can talk them down to 400.00 (Canadian).

Here are the pics:

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

Any help/advice you can provide me with will make my day!  Thanks!

Investment wise, you will make money, but it is a lot of work. If you like sorting/building then go for it.

If you have 100 SW minifigures even at $2 each you are halfway to getting money baCk. Each airplane should be easy $50 and looks like there is an old pirate ship in there as well. Just with that will get you close to $400, the rest is gravy.

If you don't like sorting pass

Investment wise, you will make money, but it is a lot of work. If you like sorting/building then go for it.

If you have 100 SW minifigures even at $2 each you are halfway to getting money baCk. Each airplane should be easy $50 and looks like there is an old pirate ship in there as well. Just with that will get you close to $400, the rest is gravy.

If you don't like sorting pass

​I actually DO like sorting.  These are the types of lots that I find really make this hobby worthwhile for me.  One of those "never know what treasures will be here" types of things.  I just want to make sure that it looks like the initial value is here first.  :)

​I actually DO like sorting.  These are the types of lots that I find really make this hobby worthwhile for me.  One of those "never know what treasures will be here" types of things.  I just want to make sure that it looks like the initial value is here first.  :)

​My impression is that the seller seems to know more than is being mentioned - I would be very surprised if there were any hidden treasures.

I just offered 400 and the seller replied:

"If you do the $460 I will throw in a train set with tracks set 7897 with fresh batteries and a large technic crane not pictured. Let me know."

​Since you are buying it - the add-ons are worth spending the extra 60.

$460 Cdn (about 360 Us) that's a pretty good deal,  with the train & crane could be worth about $200 together, the generic minifigs would be about $.50 each $2 for SW & HP (more if there are hits in the lot), say 50lbs of parts would be another $200  - the bionicles in there aren't overly useful, but the planes are an easy $50 each all day long (looks to be 3)... without any work there's probably close to $700 at summer cons & toy shows, more if you have the desire to complete any sw/hp sets that may be in there...

there's an obvious HP tri bus in there & those are instant roi just for the purple colour bricks & windows.

I'd take the lot.

Thanks for all the advice, folks.  I wound up not going for this deal, for a few different reasons.  Also realized I'm going to have to be a little more reserved about the information I provide on this messageboard.  Lessons learned.  :)

​That's a shame, looked like a good deal.  Hopefully no-one from here cut in on you, that's not very nice.

Thanks for all the advice, folks.  I wound up not going for this deal, for a few different reasons.  Also realized I'm going to have to be a little more reserved about the information I provide on this messageboard.  Lessons learned.  :)

​Sounds rather ominous, what happened? a bidding war erupt? sorry if the estimates in my post caused you to loose the lot to someone else or if the seller hiked the price or something like that... 

​That's a shame, looked like a good deal.  Hopefully no-one from here cut in on you, that's not very nice.

​That was how I read it.  Not cool if that happened and someone on here jumped in on it.  I honestly wouldn't be THAT heartbroken about missing on this lot at that price, though.

Makes sense. It's a double edged sword...being new and unsure, you want to get opinions before buying junk. But it also carries the risk of missing out.

Personally, I would rather miss out on something good than get stuck with something bad. Once you do enough bulk lots you learn how to make a decision on the spot. While the deal was OK, you didn't miss out on anything great so consider this a very cheap lesson :)

• Like 1

I don't think the buyer did anything wrong. If I was watching a deal in my town and someone posted additional insider info about it, and it sweetened the deal enough to buy you bet I am going to scoop it.

This business is all about means, opportunity, and knowledge. It only takes a lack of one to miss out. "Don't have the cash on hand", "Stuck at work", and "Not sure if I should buy" are all things that have cost me to miss out and conversely all reasons others have missed out allowing me to beat them to the deal.

Luckily OP didn't get scooped on one of those OMG deals.

billybell991-

Believe me, you're not the first that this has happened to on this site.  It wasn't me that got scooped, but I know that for a fact.  Again, I wouldn't lose much sleep over missing on this lot at that price.  Like you said, lesson learned.

I missed recently on a nice CL lot because I was probably over-cautious.  Seller was in a nearby city so I didn't want to waste a couple hours to check on it to see up close that it sucked.  I pushed for more pictures privately but they posted them to their listing showing everybody else what I suspected was in the lot.  I was trying to make sure figures that needed to be there to make it worth my while were there and by the time I could get up there someone else came in. There will always be another lot come up that's just as good, you just have to wait them out.

Never fear, there's always gonna be another interesting lot coming up...  don't get frustrated it's a competitive marketplace now-a-days...

Given the bonus 7897 train offered to you, white airplane wings in the collection photo (2006),  the older Knight Bus driver & skullisland sail (2004) but yet the passenger plane (2010) a 6-year spread would likely mean none of them are complete.  then again, a "large technic crane" from the era is sorta interesting & would have to be one of the mobiles or the crawler any of which could make up half the cost if complete-able.