75104 - Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

mmatthie

So after seeing the movie (no spoilers in this post), the colour/build/design is not %100 movie accurate. We already knew about the wing folding thing, but the glaring issue is still the colour. This is apparent across pretty much all merchandise with this ship's design. 

I had no real intention of grabbing this set because of this until i saw Jang's video showing what it could look like when in the proper colour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikk-egNrnXw I must say it looks 100 times better. Once i can get this at a decent discount i will definitely be up for the challenge of changing it.

Edited by Sandwraithx157

1 hour ago, Haay said:

When looking for 75104 at Brickwatch.net I see it can be ordered from virtually every webshop, and many run it at discounted prices:

KyloRenShuttle.thumb.png.585b805fc03d995

Webshops yes. But physical stores no.

All I am saying is that the ordinary customer seems to buy this set in physical stores after seeing the movie. They are unaware or do not care about the colour difference or that it is not 100% alike the one in the movie.  

• Like 1

Personally, I really like this ship.  There's definitely some aspects that need changed when they make an update, but i'm sure that will happen many times in the future.  They made like 4 or 5 Sith Infiltrators with Darth Maul, so i'd at least expect Disney to milk this one 7 or 8 times.  Regardless, this in my opinion is the coolest of the new sets that came out for the Force Awakens.  I also like Rey's speederbike, but this one is pretty awesome, plus it comes with dark menacing kylo, not whiney boy Kylo.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Webshops yes. But physical stores no.

All I am saying is that the ordinary customer seems to buy this set in physical stores after seeing the movie. They are unaware or do not care about the colour difference or that it is not 100% alike the one in the movie.  

I haven't visited the local Bart Smit and Intertoys stores for the past few days, but recently I still saw several of the TFA Lego sets on the shelves there. Should take a peek in those stores there just to check whether they still have 75104, 75105 and 75101 available. They do have them in stock in their webshops...

16 minutes ago, Haay said:

I haven't visited the local Bart Smit and Intertoys stores for the past few days, but recently I still saw several of the TFA Lego sets on the shelves there. Should take a peek in those stores there just to check whether they still have 75104, 75105 and 75101 available. They do have them in stock in their webshops...

Since when are Bart Smit and Intertoys famous for their low prices?

Edited by Ciglione

13 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Since when are Bart Smit and Intertoys famous for their low prices?

They're not! :D  The only reason to check is to see if the TFA sets like 75104, 75105, 75101... are still on their shelves. That would prove that these sets are still available in B&M stores. Nothing more, nothing less. :P 

30 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Love Jang's mods. Now it looks like a predator. 

12 hours ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

So after seeing the movie (no spoilers in this post), the colour/build/design is not %100 movie accurate. We already knew about the wing folding thing, but the glaring issue is still the colour. This is apparent across pretty much all merchandise with this ship's design. 

I had no real intention of grabbing this set because of this until i saw Jang's video showing what it could look like when in the proper colour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikk-egNrnXw I must say it looks 100 times better. Once i can get this at a decent discount i will definitely be up for the challenge of changing it.

Thanks for the link.  I did this with Poe's X-Wing, couldn't take the orange, I think I posted pics in that thread or the what set did you build thread.  I am going to start this one tonight I really like the look.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

Let me preface this comment with I suck at designing anything really but the designer of the official version should be ashamed of himself after seeing Jangs design. As much as these fools get paid there is absolutely no reason why Jangs design shouldn't have been the official one.

We know the designer needed to have the design done at least 1 year ago (or more) for September release date.  At that time most likely the final look of the ship (as seen on screen) had not been finalized yet. 

It is easier to base a build on post production movies than on artists' concept drawings

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

We know the designer needed to have the design done at least 1 year ago (or more) for September release date.  At that time most likely the final look of the ship (as seen on screen) had not been finalized yet. 

It is easier to base a build on post production movies than on artists' concept drawings

Very true--but after seeing Jang's design and the movie, I'm sure we'll have another shuttle in the future. I won't be buying this one and I'm pants at MOCing. 

11 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Not buying this one bit. The video was published the day after TFA premiered so that means Jang more tnan likely did this in one day. The designer dropped the ball, no need to make excuses for him.

6 minutes ago, redghostx said:

After watching the movie, I hope for a UCS version of this shuttle because the current Lego version is terrible.

That's what I am saying. In this day and age there is no excuse for garbage like this. The set coming out before the movie and not knowing the end movie product is not a valid excuse.

8 minutes ago, stephen_rockefeller said:

That's what I am saying. In this day and age there is no excuse for garbage like this. The set coming out before the movie and not knowing the end movie product is not a valid excuse.

Disney never makes excuses for their cash grabs. All of the minifigs and other sets are screen accurate (even if the FO Transporter is ugly as sin) except for Ren's shuttle... The thing is I won't put the blame entirely on the designer - they likely did a good job from the drawings and prototype images they were given. But two execs, one from LEGO and one from Disney would have had to give this the green light even after realizing it was far from the movie version.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before somebody sells a parts pack and instructions on how to modify 75104 to look better.

I built this set yesterday. Like some other TFA sets, wait for the sale because this set is awesome. The build was nice, cool features, size is just about right although the set prob isn't swooshable, and good selection of minifigs.

The wing design is one of the highlights.

Switching some of the light gray plates for black ones and added transparent red to the window area works for me instead of going all black.

Folks, every manufacturer / brand from Hot-Wheels to puzzle makers to Hasbro botched the wings because Lucasfilm didn't give proper film concept photos & info.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the folding outward design was added late in the film's production.