So I caught a thief stealing my LEGO on camera

One thing I will never understand about these people:

1) They usually take from people with means.

2) It costs a few hundred dollars to outsource saddling someone with 5 figures of hospital bills.

3) A person with means has no problem spending a few hundred dollars for a meal, much less a worthy cause.

​Do you just CL that?

I got a mental picture of the guys in Horrible Bosses talking to MoFo Jones trying to set this up.

• Like 1

Do you have everyblock.com where you live?  I would post there as well, I know for where I live, there are a lot of neighbors active on that, whom I would not know on Facebook.

​no everyblock here....

Do not stick fliers "in" the mailbox.  that is illegal, but definitely get the word out to the neighborhood.

​exactly how is warning your neighbors illegal by putting messages in the mailboxes? the mailboxes do not belong to the post office, i believe we all paid out of pocket for ours (around my 'hood) at a home improvement store.

Edited by jerryherb

​no everyblock here....

​exactly how is warning your neighbors illegal by putting messages in the mailboxes? the mailboxes do not belong to the post office, i believe we all paid out of pocket for ours (around my 'hood) at a home improvement store.

If you put anything in a mailbox without postage, you are technically breaking the law. 

​Do you just CL that?

​God no, unless you want to roll the dice with UCs.

If you put anything in a mailbox without postage, you are technically breaking the law. 

​​TIL! I googled it to confirm and sure enough, this is a true statement.

Edited by tonysbricks

​yeah i forgot. usps monopoly on free speech :)

This is what the law says:

3.1.3 Use for Mail
Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail. [D041.1.3]

I don't necessarily agree with it, just trying to help out.. 

https://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/tx/2010/tx_2010_0909.htm Edited by c666187

This is what the law says:

I don't necessarily agree with it, just trying to help out.. 

https://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/tx/2010/tx_2010_0909.htm

​thanks for due diligence. whats a 3.2.10 say?

so technically i can call this a "your neigborhood thief weekly" and stuff it in on a sunday?

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

The police department I work for would not take a report, for a USPS package we would tell you to call the postal inspectors.  And from my experience working with them when I've caught people stealing packages they don't really care unless it's high value in a metro area (typical feds).  For UPS and Fed ex packages a local police report would be appropriate.  As stated social media is great for this,  Facebook, Nextdoor.com, etc.  plus flyers etc.  Post him everywhere.  If the local police don't take a report, make your own flyer for information and give it to them anyways (and also send it to the local probation and parole office).  If he is stealing packages, he is stealing more stuff too, and probably has been caught before.  You might check craigslist for the items. 

Also ask your delivery person to set the package behind the small walls you have on the porch so it is out of sight from the street.  The carrier could not have left it any more conspicuous.  

Sadly, especially in my state, the bleeding hearts have basically neutered any "non violent" laws and punishment, so as the police we don't have the resources to devote much time and to solving these types of crimes.  Theft/scams/economic crimes have been skyrocketing here in the last couple of years.  The camera is neat, but if there is no follow up done, it's basically worthless.  

• Like 1

The police department I work for would not take a report, for a USPS package we would tell you to call the postal inspectors.  And from my experience working with them when I've caught people stealing packages they don't really care unless it's high value in a metro area (typical feds).  For UPS and Fed ex packages a local police report would be appropriate.  As stated social media is great for this,  Facebook, Nextdoor.com, etc.  plus flyers etc.  Post him everywhere.  If the local police don't take a report, make your own flyer for information and give it to them anyways (and also send it to the local probation and parole office).  If he is stealing packages, he is stealing more stuff too, and probably has been caught before.  You might check craigslist for the items. 

Also ask your delivery person to set the package behind the small walls you have on the porch so it is out of sight from the street.  The carrier could not have left it any more conspicuous.  

Sadly, especially in my state, the bleeding hearts have basically neutered any "non violent" laws and punishment, so as the police we don't have the resources to devote much time and to solving these types of crimes.  Theft/scams/economic crimes have been skyrocketing here in the last couple of years.  The camera is neat, but if there is no follow up done, it's basically worthless.  

​thats as much as i thought. so poop in the box it is then :)

• Like 5

​I disagree. My understanding of delivered is handing the item to the recipient and or having the item signed for. If no one is home they leave a card and take it back to the depot. Dumping an item on the doorstep, in a bin or up in the tree does not constitute delivered in my eyes and therefore the responsibility of the sender to escalate with their courier. In this case there is video evidence that it's been stolen. You should show this video to the police and let them look into it. As for the merchant who sold you the goods, phone them and explain you have checked your surveillance camera and you can see it was left on your doorstep and stolen. They should take it up with their courier, I would expect them to compensate you. 

​Incorrect. Delivered = item was dropped at address. Unless it was specified and agreed to by both parties that the sign for package service will be used, which you have to pay for, all delivery services will just drop it off.

That sucks.

TV, face book. cops, probation office.

I would report as not delivered though.  I believe delivery calls for your acceptance of package and this is why I pay for insurance on my shipments out.  As the sender, I believe the package I mine until it is in your hands - not on your front porch.

That sucks.

TV, face book. cops, probation office.

I would report as not delivered though.  I believe delivery calls for your acceptance of package and this is why I pay for insurance on my shipments out.  As the sender, I believe the package I mine until it is in your hands - not on your front porch.

​and that is how ebay and amazon would classify this issue as as well. its time for them to eat it like they would expect us to do

Edited by jerryherb