So I caught a thief stealing my LEGO on camera

That is what we have police for. And I would be on the watch-out in the future.

But why did you open non-delivered reports when you clearly have evidence that it was delivered? Amazon, Target or USPS aren't responsible for stuff that gets stolen after they delivered, nor should or can they be (unless it was neglect on their part which doesn't seem to be the case here).

• Like 2

Amazon, Target or USPS aren't responsible for stuff that gets stolen after they delivered, nor should or can they be (unless it was neglect on their part which doesn't seem to be the case here).

​I disagree. My understanding of delivered is handing the item to the recipient and or having the item signed for. If no one is home they leave a card and take it back to the depot. Dumping an item on the doorstep, in a bin or up in the tree does not constitute delivered in my eyes and therefore the responsibility of the sender to escalate with their courier. In this case there is video evidence that it's been stolen. You should show this video to the police and let them look into it. As for the merchant who sold you the goods, phone them and explain you have checked your surveillance camera and you can see it was left on your doorstep and stolen. They should take it up with their courier, I would expect them to compensate you. 

Most homeowners insurance will also cover property theft, if you would like to go the insurance claim route.  In this case, the retailer may replace it, but it's really not their responsibility.  They could push back on the courier if they wanted to.

Its a little hard to say from the light and the angle but I think Aaron Hernandez escaped from jail and is stalking your neighborhood wearing a hoodie.  

i like the fully outstretched paw between the railings of your deck.

this should become the little picture next to the urban dictionary phrase "5 finger discount".  that thumb looks suspiciously like a fifth finger.

photo (6).JPG

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

File a police report NOW and also let Amazon or whomever you purchased your products from as well, and send this as requested.  Stealing mail can be a federal offense and is not taken lightly.  And as suggested, post this around your neighborhood as well.  Don't just ignore this by any means.

As has been said filing a police report is probably the best course of action.  If this was delivered by USPS (an not amazon renting out the USPS?) then you are talking a federal offense.  If you are going to steal shipments, or ship anything illegal, always go fedex or UPS...

The only caveat being that giving the evidence to the police would invalidate any shipping insurance claims.  You could file a claim with homeowners or renters insurance, but depending on deductibles and other policy details it may not be worth it.

Edited by jay4e

the porch light is always on and the garage motion sensor also kicked in just before the grab. it startled him a bit, though he still grabbed it and ran. i had a few packages go missing in the past hence the camera. the good thing is they were only phantoms, so only about $100 worth, unlike the three tumblers that were promptly left on my porch the next day and sat there all the way through monday night. now i wonder whether he is smart to figure out that i order legos in bulk or is this one time crime of opportunity for this guy...

Most homeowners insurance will also cover property theft, if you would like to go the insurance claim route.  In this case, the retailer may replace it, but it's really not their responsibility.  They could push back on the courier if they wanted to.

​way below my deductible and once insurance company gets a whiff they will probably increase my rates due to "high-crime" area

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

File a police report NOW and also let Amazon or whomever you purchased your products from as well, and send this as requested.  Stealing mail can be a federal offense and is not taken lightly.  And as suggested, post this around your neighborhood as well.  Don't just ignore this by any means.

​i was going to get a few snaps from the video on a flier and stuff it in the mailboxes around the neigborhood. i dont think posting it publicly is a good idea as i dont want retaliation, never know with hernandez.

• Like 2

That face is pretty clear. Between Police/Facebook, they should be able to arrest him no problem. 

Also, I highly doubt if you have had missing packages before that this was a random theft. I suspect this guy has targeted your place. Once they arrest him they will be able to look at Ebay/Amazon sales info, and possibly local Craigslist sales info. Maybe even call up a couple local pawn shops see if someone has sold them LEGO. Pawn shops may or may not cooperate, but it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by Achilles

Do indeed report it for their community statistics records, but really doubt the police will do much more than add a note into a new file, it's not like they are going to call in the csi guys or investigate for potential on-line sales unless they already recognise the guy.  if the theft is less than $5000.oo it's just not important enough to put resources on.  I've had a car stolen & another car broken into & in neither event did the police visit or do anything more than take a few incidentals over the phone - it's just not worth their time.

• Like 1

I know you said you didnt want to go public but as much as I hate fb its your friend in cases like this.  I had a neighbor have the same thing happen and the police were like yeah that happens.  Posted on fb and he had the guys address as well as many people willing to give him a hand in returning the favor.  You should always let the police take it from there but in this case they seriously terrorized the guy for a week.  

​Maybe tell the cops you heard the guy has been known to carry a small amount of pot on him, then the swat team comes out.

​Unfortunately around here pot is one of those "not so really illegal" things unless you're stupid enough to make it a visible thing & force their hand, it's like driving beer over provincial lines on Sunday they don't care unless you make a spectacle of yourself.

"​i was going to get a few snaps from the video on a flier and stuff it in the mailboxes around the neigborhood. i dont think posting it publicly is a good idea as i dont want retaliation, never know with hernandez."

Do not stick fliers "in" the mailbox.  that is illegal, but definitely get the word out to the neighborhood.

One thing I will never understand about these people:

1) They usually take from people with means.

2) It costs a few hundred dollars to outsource saddling someone with 5 figures of hospital bills.

3) A person with means has no problem spending a few hundred dollars for a meal, much less a worthy cause.