Another re-seller quits

Not bad at all. Basically 20% off current market on the retired  sets and 20% off retail on the current but in the way out sets 

To bad its so far

​Don't know why you're interested, I don't see any Joker bumper cars in the list. ;)

• Like 1

How about this find on CL in the SF Bay area.

Selling my Lego collections. 187 NISB, about 90% of my collections are retired. Value at $33,500.00, asking $28K. Sell as a lot, will not part out.

SET Quantity Condition Brickpicker Value

Total 187 $33,572.23 

​No.

Basically you are paying the ebay rate after fees (not counting shipping and fees) and many of these sets are not going to realize significant growth.

33,500*(1-.129)=$29,178

Edit to clarify - yes, many sets will achieve growth but some are so new that you could buy them from other sources and receive discounts or rebates, etc.

Edited by redghostx
  • Like 1

​No.

Basically you are paying the ebay rate after fees (not counting shipping and fees) and many of these sets are not going to realize significant growth.

33,500*(1-.129)=$29,178

Edit to clarify - yes, many sets will achieve growth but some are so new that you could buy them from other sources and receive discounts or rebates, etc.

​This is exactly right. The seller knows what they will go for on eBay. Instead of going through the trouble, he did the same math that redhostx did and is trying to sell local for the same amount that he would net on eBay. It's a smart move from his perspective, it's way easier than selling all of these on eBay. 

Interesting and diverse listing. This would appear to be a portfolio common to many of us. Also cool to see how many bought in to Lone Ranger trains thinking they would do well.

I did very well with those trains. The trick was buying at the right price. Everyone bashes LR, but it was an easy double if you did it right. Not every set is meant to sit in a closet for 3 years. 

• Like 2

​This is exactly right. The seller knows what they will go for on eBay. Instead of going through the trouble, he did the same math that redhostx did and is trying to sell local for the same amount that he would net on eBay. It's a smart move from his perspective, it's way easier than selling all of these on eBay. 

​That's right. You need to pay time and energy if selling on ebay and you also need to take the risk. 

I would ask the whole lot for 20K. Most of the sets are still new and need time to appreciate well.

​That's right. You need to pay time and energy if selling on ebay and you also need to take the risk. 

I would ask the whole lot for 20K. Most of the sets are still new and need time to appreciate well.

​Really??? 20k?? 

24k is a fair number of which you could flip right now in less than a month and clear 4k.   Hold the SW til Xmas, and the HH til OCT and probably milk another 1-2k out of it.

Another member just sold out most of his collection in 3 days at higher prices than that (about 90% of current market / retail)

Not sure where you came up with that number as something a person selling would even be motivated to do business with

Anyone on here would buy Exclusives on that list for 20% off that are current but on there way out (which is basically what they are asking), at 24k thats 30% off his current list.

You're suggested 20k is 40% off of those prices.  Not even in the same ballpark.  

• Like 1

​Really??? 20k?? 

24k is a fair number of which you could flip right now in less than a month and clear 4k.   Hold the SW til Xmas, and the HH til OCT and probably milk another 1-2k out of it.

Another member just sold out most of his collection in 3 days at higher prices than that (about 90% of current market / retail)

Not sure where you came up with that number as something a person selling would even be motivated to do business with

Anyone on here would buy Exclusives on that list for 20% off that are current but on there way out (which is basically what they are asking), at 24k thats 30% off his current list.

You're suggested 20k is 40% off of those prices.  Not even in the same ballpark.  

​That's my offer if I need to take the whole lot. Maybe 21k to 22k, but that's my maximum. You need to spend over 20K cash to bring those home. And some of the sets will sit there for a little bit longer. You probably need to get a new storage for those sets and stoarge is not free either, plus the time effort and risk of selling to an evil buyer.

I may take advange ot this guy, but this is business. I want to maximize my profit.  I'll just walk away if my offer is rejected, there will be no hurt. 

• Like 2

I completely agree. The seller obviously know that the only way of selling all of these sets together is to another reseller - at best, a new one wanting a shortcut into the game. The buyer has to see an end profit on the deal otherwise it isn´t worthwhile and some sets won´t grow more if at all.

They have put a highish but not unreaasonable price as a starting point to negotiate as they will know that experienced buyers will lowball /haggle with them using the arguments freakchem has made above.

What would be interesting parameters to know are reason for sale and the urgency the seller has - with these two parts of the puzzle, the price can be worked out quickly.

Edited by valenciaeric

​No.

33,500*(1-.129)=$29,178

Yes. If you paid full price and immediatly sold, you would not make any money. 28K is unreliastic. The seller can not expect to get "full price" for this lot without any work. He will be lucky to get anything over 21-22.

Maybe I view things wrong, but when I invest in the stock market a 10% average annual return is considered strong. It is funny to see people on this site scoff at a 20% or so return on investment.

​Big difference clicking a few buttons and buying a stock and selling Lego.

• Like 6

Maybe I view things wrong, but when I invest in the stock market a 10% average annual return is considered strong. It is funny to see people on this site scoff at a 20% or so return on investment.

its because some people view their time as having some value.

​to get a 10% return on stocks you make a phone call or click a mouse aka you have to do nothing.

LEGO's don't list themselves for sale, wrap themselves in bubble wrap, find themselves a box to jump into, tape the box shut, weight the box, slap on a label and get to the post office.  so yeah - 10% return on LEGO sort of sucks.

• Like 4