Huge CL Lot, low price. And yes, it was real.

Alpinemaps

It's not available anymore, but there was a lot that was listed this past weekend on my local CL.  $800 for 75+ sets.

They only showed two pics, which was a pic of TH, GE, PS, and FB.  And then a bunch of manuals.  Just looking at the pics, it really wasn't $800 worth of sets.  Then you read the listing:

Includes all 75+ sets Instruction Manuals w Lego's. Plus approximate 4x $100 sets never opened. These are my three sons entire collection. We are moving to Australia and cannot take. Every single set has every booklet and piece needed. Most buildings are still all together. Separated for moving. A set yet to be opened is the new Chinese Theatre.

Set's include City Buildings: Mall, Grocer, Pet Store, Cafe, City Hall, Fire HQ, Police HQ, plus personal residents, beach houses, summer houses, haunted houses, cabin, Electric Train with stops, Lego Architechture Buildings;
Star Wars multiple locations
Indiana Jones temple
Batman Arkum Ayslum
Ninja Turtles lair
Toy Story;
IronMan;Thor; Hulk; etc
Tons of vehicles, cars, bikes, planes, boats, trucks, police, fire, service. Also lots and lots of extra people. Each year my sons would receive the entire new people collection released each year. This is a ten year collection. Plus street plates and park plates enough to go around two six-foot buffet tables and inner streets.

I couldn't make it over there, and passed on info to a couple of other BP'ers in the area.  They weren't able to take advantage of it either, but did contact the seller, who said that two people showed up and bid it up to $1200.  Still a great deal.

Thanks AlpineMaps, I saw the deal when it was first listed within 30 min on CL in San Diego for I think it was escondido area, but because I lived in Orange County, I did not try.

There is another potential deal in my neck of the woods.  Its not my listing but search 19 Coriander in CL in Orange County, take a closer look at the eighth picture.  Its a garage sale for tomorrow but you may want to get a quote on what you see especially those three old modular sets on the top shelf.  Hopefully a fellow pickbricker can snag a deal.  If you do, let me know how much you paid. 

Thanks

Thanks AlpineMaps, I saw the deal when it was first listed within 30 min on CL in San Diego for I think it was escondido area, but because I lived in Orange County, I did not try.

There is another potential deal in my neck of the woods.  Its not my listing but search 19 Coriander in CL in Orange County, take a closer look at the eighth picture.  Its a garage sale for tomorrow but you may want to get a quote on what you see especially those three old modular sets on the top shelf.  Hopefully a fellow pickbricker can snag a deal.  If you do, let me know how much you paid. 

Thanks

​The lot I'm referencing was in Oceanside, which is only 15 minutes away from me.  I could have swung over the easily, but I didn't see it until 4 hours in, and was getting the stink eye from the wife.  Because we've all been sick, I haven't been selling, so I haven't been making the funds to cover a quick buy like this.  No biggie though.

That 19 Coriander sale you mention is quite interesting.  I see some Friends sets in the first photo, but that's R2, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Cafe Corner in photo 8.

Add to that the American Girl stuff, and maybe I could make the case for my wife and I to go visit this tomorrow.  :)

No, in all seriousness, I hope a BP can take advantage and grab this.

• 1 month later...

This was posted in the other day . . . http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tag/5077616271.html

It's a huge lot of Polybags. 

She sent me the actual list of what is available and it seems too good to be true. I have actually never used CraigsList before to make a purchase, and Lego is the only thing I have searched on it, and it has only been recently. With that said here are just a couple items listed:

28x Chrome Darth Vader - $5 (each)

15x 40079 VW  - $3 

16x White Boba Fett - $5

19x Shadow ARF Trooper - $5

and the kicker . . . 5x Chrome Gold C3PO - $25

Apparently she has just moved to Cincinnati, and will not use PayPal. So, double whammy for me. I've been back and forth with her a little bit, and it just sounds like she isn't with it (judging by not using PayPal, she said she didn't want to put her bank info online). Definitely a lot of polybags to have (I'm guessing), and who has 5 of the C3PO?

I certainly hope there is someone in the Cincy area that if this is legit, can take advantage of this.  

Edited by jhallack31
Updated Link

This was posted in the other day . . . http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tag/5077616271.html

She sent me the actual list of what is available and it seems too good to be true. I have actually never used CraigsList before to make a purchase, and Lego is the only thing I have searched on it, and it has only been recently. With that said here are just a couple items listed:

15x 40079 VW  - $3 

16x White Boba Fett - $5

Apparently she has just moved to Cincinnati, and will not use PayPal. So, double whammy for me. I've been back and forth with her a little bit, and it just sounds like she isn't with it (judging by not using PayPal, she said she didn't want to put her bank info online). Definitely a lot of polybags to have (I'm guessing), and who has 5 of the C3PO?

I certainly hope there is someone in the Cincy area that if this is legit, can take advantage of this.  

I think i saw this in MD in the past. definitely too good to be true.

15x 40079 VW  - $3 

16x White Boba Fett - $5

RUN away.  Actually report, if there's a reporting function.  A listing like this appeared in the Seattle area for several weeks until it was finally shut down by someone who'd gotten scammed posting a warning listing. 

Thanks for the info!

So what is the end game here for these people? What are they trying to get from a person like me who would be interested in buying? She said she just moved (which does sound fishy), and doesn't know how to use PayPal (who doesn't use PayPal?). She wasn't trying to get info from me. I just emailed her about the listing and she emailed me back what she (supposedly) had and how much she wanted for each set. 

Thanks for the info!

So what is the end game here for these people? What are they trying to get from a person like me who would be interested in buying? She said she just moved (which does sound fishy), and doesn't know how to use PayPal (who doesn't use PayPal?). She wasn't trying to get info from me. I just emailed her about the listing and she emailed me back what she (supposedly) had and how much she wanted for each set. 

Well sometimes they're trying to get your personal information but mostly they just want cash. You'll be asked to send the money via e-transfer or some other form of payment that can't be retracted or traced to them.

People who "move" unload stuff before they move. People who are out of town for 6 months don't buy large amounts of stuff and have a moving company pick it up for them. etc. :)

Edited by gregpj
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info!

That's how she makes herself seem legit.  You send back a list of what you want, she sets a price, but she can't meet, but she'd happily ship it to you and have you pay somehow.

I've tangled with that person in the past. Her story at the time was that her sister worked for lego and sent all these poly's to her sons who have now outgrown them and want to sell for video games. The red flag was that she had Winter Soldier polys but didn't have the set #. After talking to some folks on another forum I realized it was in fact the same scam artist.

I saw the exact listing in Houston CL last year . Funny that the pics have not changed.

I remember seeing a similar scam in my area at least two years ago, and then a couple months later, another member here posted the same exact CL ad asking if it was a scam, and it was on the other side of the country!

Guest betsy805

Seen the same ad in Seattle....same story about moving.  Flagged the ad at least 4 times before it disappeared for good.  You have to wonder how many people she's actually scammed if she's STILL doing it months later.

Seen the same ad in Seattle....same story about moving.  Flagged the ad at least 4 times before it disappeared for good.  You have to wonder how many people she's actually scammed if she's STILL doing it months later.

She probably has scammed enough people to convince herself that she can keep on doing it without getting caught, and still making a decent amount of money.