Canada: What other reward points you use for Lego?

tacsniper

What other reward points (excluding Lego VIP) do you collect to trade for Lego?

I initially started collecting aeroplan points for travel, but after seeing how much taxes I need to pay on top of the points used, I rather redeem them for pre-paid American Express. I am about 4000 points shy to redeem $1250 in AE cards. I am planning to buy a few exclusive sets in the Lego store once the cards arrived.

Used to use a Redcard (RIP), but now all i'm left with is my BMO Airmiles Mastercard which i use to redeem TRU giftcards via cash rewards.

I don't shop nearly enough on amazon to warrant getting their card, so i'd rather just accumulate the air miles from all retailers and double dip where accepted with my basic airmiles card (LCBO, TRU, Shell, etc).

I'm on the same boat as you. I go to the states a lot, and a flight to NYC costs around 1000 airmiles and like $150 in fees and taxes... ripoff if you ask me. So i stopped using them for flights.

Airmiles for me used to get TRU eVouchers.

Try to collect close to 1000 airmiles a month with various sources but its getting harder compared to last year in my area. Airmiles seem to be a major hastle to book actual flights as echoed by others here. Getting products off their site, or using the airmiles cash is more worthwhile.

Once in a blue moon, you can get a small selection of LEGO sets from the airmile's site directly but usually not worth it when compared to the selection at TRU. Still I acquired 4 King's Jousts this way last year.

BTW has anyone taken their 'Canadian account' LEGO VIP card and redeemed their points in the USA? I would expect this should work without any issue but I haven't had an opportunity to try it. Our saved points would be much more valuable in a USA B&M LEGO store then used in a Canada B&M LEGO store...

BTW has anyone taken their 'Canadian account' LEGO VIP card and redeemed their points in the USA? I would expect this should work without any issue but I haven't had an opportunity to try it. Our saved points would be much more valuable in a USA B&M LEGO store then used in a Canada B&M LEGO store...

I can confirm that your points can be earned in either the US or Canada and used in either US or Canada. One point is one point.

Earn them in Canada and spend them in the US to maximize your benefit.

Ex astris, scientia.

• Like 2

I can confirm that your points can be earned in either the US or Canada and used in either US or Canada. One point is one point.

Earn them in Canada and spend them in the US to maximize your benefit.

Ex astris, scientia.

This is especially useful right now with the exchange rate... No US trips planned at the moment though so I've been spending them in Canada.

My only problem is I live too far from the border to drive. I might fly down every once in awhile but then I have to worry about paying extra baggage fees for carry ons for big sets. I'll be in Vegas in late June and plan to visit the new store they got there.

• Like 1

It totally works and is the way to use them. The best gets are the modulars in terms of value. Getting a grand emporium for 4.99 USD after points is glorious! But the new ones are 159.99 USD so if you can get petshops or palace cinemas, totally do it!

Airmiles for me used to get TRU eVouchers.

Try to collect close to 1000 airmiles a month with various sources but its getting harder compared to last year in my area. Airmiles seem to be a major hastle to book actual flights as echoed by others here. Getting products off their site, or using the airmiles cash is more worthwhile.

Once in a blue moon, you can get a small selection of LEGO sets from the airmile's site directly but usually not worth it when compared to the selection at TRU. Still I acquired 4 King's Jousts this way last year.

I didn't know about this.  Looks like 95 Air Miles = 10.00 Toys R Us voucher.  Thanks for the tip!

I didn't know about this. Looks like 95 Air Miles = 10.00 Toys R Us voucher. Thanks for the tip!

And how much does one need to spend to get 95 Air Miles? (at Toys R Us specifically)

Besides VIP and Target's 5%, I never bothered with these programs. If the gain is under 1%, it's hardly worth registering...

Edited by Stragus

And how much does one need to spend to get 95 Air Miles? (at Toys R Us specifically)

Besides VIP and Target's 5%, I never bothered with these programs. If the gain is under 1%, it's hardly worth registering...

I think it's 1 air mile for every $20 spent but totals over a month. So 95 air miles is $1900. (It might be $15 per).

If you stack with a good credit card like the BMO World Elite that gives you an air mile for every $10 then its approx $633 for the $10 coupon.

What you really need to do is take advantage of air miles grocery offers... Not sure what you have out east but where I am there are frequently air miles specials that can earn you 500 air miles after spending around $200. Add the air miles from using an appropriate CC and you're getting about $55 back in coupons. It's not unusual for us to get 1000 miles in a month and I think last year we earned 21,000 miles.

We however still use air miles for flights. :)

• Like 2

I think it's 1 air mile for every $20 spent but totals over a month. So 95 air miles is $1900. (It might be $15 per).

If you stack with a good credit card like the BMO World Elite that gives you an air mile for every $10 then its approx $633 for the $10 coupon.

What you really need to do is take advantage of air miles grocery offers... Not sure what you have out east but where I am there are frequently air miles specials that can earn you 500 air miles after spending around $200. Add the air miles from using an appropriate CC and you're getting about $55 back in coupons. It's not unusual for us to get 1000 miles in a month and I think last year we earned 21,000 miles.

Correct, the base value of an airmile is $20. Hardly worth it if you only collect airmiles at the low basic rate. The key is to sniff out airmiles deals periodically advertised by airmiles sponsors to really hoard the miles. I do well just maximizing airmiles specials at the grocery stores (Safeway and Sobeys out west) and gas at Shell. Even TRU has airmiles specials here and there. That's my general advise to everyone with airmiles but gregpj has pretty much reinforced what is already good to know. ;)
  • Like 1

Usually Shell has 5x the Air Miles coupons that come in the mail.  Aside from that though, there are some credit cards (with no annual fee) that give an introductory number of Air Miles on your first purchase with it (and even some decent Air Miles beyond that).

For example, just looked at what the deal is now:

• Bonus: Earn a Welcome Bonus of 500 AIR MILES

Sobeys and Foodland just introduced air miles a couple weeks ago. Using a bonus code emailed to me I was able to get up to about 140 air miles on one grocery trip. It also gave me a code for 15x air miles at Shell. The LCBO also offers air miles in Ontario and there are often selections each week with bonus air miles. As others have said it can add up

Fyi, the Lego Store in the Fashion Mall is way in the back of the mall if you're walking in from the strip. Last time I was there (feb) they had 20% discounts on a few smaller sets and hopefully you'll find some deals or limited sets. Yeah, using vip Pts would be advantageous if you can take it as another carry on item. Have fun in June Lobo.

I should add that we'd be fools to think that Air Miles hasn't done their homework. From where I am...

Two adults can fly to Paris for 8850 Air Miles + $1253.

OR directly from Air Canada it would be $2076.

Difference = $823

What is 8800 air miles worth at TRU? $926.

So in this example, the difference is basically 11%... in favour of cash. Many people have speculated that Air Miles is pushing people towards cash and other rewards and I agree. The price of airline seats is so volatile that it's probably easier for them to manage their air miles debt load if people convert to cash - they'll know exactly what it's worth.

Fyi, the Lego Store in the Fashion Mall is way in the back of the mall if you're walking in from the strip. Last time I was there (feb) they had 20% discounts on a few smaller sets and hopefully you'll find some deals or limited sets. Yeah, using vip Pts would be advantageous if you can take it as another carry on item. Have fun in June Lobo.

Great, Thanks!

I think it's 1 air mile for every $20 spent but totals over a month. So 95 air miles is $1900.

Thanks for the various answers. So, had I registered with Air Miles, I could have received an awesome $25 for the monstrous stack of Toys R Us orders from the past months! I don't regret putting in my mother's Air Miles number instead :P

Still, that old Toys R Us promotion of "20x Air Miles" from last year meant some 9.5% discount then. That's not too bad if it stacks with something else.

• Like 1

My major gripe with airmiles is how long it takes them to post the points... especially the points from the BMO Airmiles card. It's been almost 2 weeks now since i sent payment, i want my points!

odd, mine's just a plain airmiles card (no associated bank or company) & I'm pretty sure the points are added by the next day. 

odd, mine's just a plain airmiles card (no associated bank or company) & I'm pretty sure the points are added by the next day. 

Just the plain Airmiles points cards are usually pretty quick, but Creditcards with built in airmiles seem to take much longer.

BMO Airmiles card is nice because you can generate normal airmiles with your airmiles card, AND generate them with any purchases made on the credit card. Like double dipping!