Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

• 3 weeks later...

i want to finish up a set ... specifically Shuttle Expedition but i am missing parts ... what is the best way for me to search for the parts on Brinklink getting the most parts as i can from the same seller.

is there an easier way than just searching for the part number and picking a seller then seeing if he has more parts that i need?

Create a wanted list for the parts. One way is to go to the set inventory and select the parts you are missing.

Once your wanted list is created go to this link

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedShop.asp

it shows the stores with most items in your wanted lists. make sure to only check the square corresponding to the set wanted list if you have more wanted lists created. 

Edit:

Select lots (unique) for better results then click go.

Also here is direct link to creating a wanted list out of the SE set

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedSet.asp?itemType=S&itemNo=10231-1

if you have few parts missing select "Exclude all items from upload by default" on first page, then when the items show in next page you just have to uncheck the delete button for the few pieces you need. 

Edited by MathBuilder
  • Like 2

Create a wanted list for the parts. One way is to go to the set inventory and select the parts you are missing.

Once your wanted list is created go to this link

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedShop.asp

it shows the stores with most items in your wanted lists. make sure to only check the square corresponding to the set wanted list if you have more wanted lists created. 

Edit:

Select lots (unique) for better results then click go.

Also here is direct link to creating a wanted list out of the SE set

http://www.bricklink.com/wantedSet.asp?itemType=S&itemNo=10231-1

if you have few parts missing select "Exclude all items from upload by default" on first page, then when the items show in next page you just have to uncheck the delete button for the few pieces you need. 

thanks i will give it a try ...

If you know your way around the command line you can give this a try: https://code.google.com/p/bltools/

im fairly new to bricklink and its complicated ...

• 2 weeks later...
Buying on BL from Asia?

If a BL seller has a 99% feedback rating with several hundred ratings, would you hesitate to buy new sets or mixes from them? I know some sets from Asia come with some kind of label / sticker indicating its Asian origin. Does that mean anything more than that the set was made in China? I just want to make sure I am not missing / overlooking anything.

Any BL sellers - Amazon has the 18 drawer (large drawer) stack-ons for $11 prime shipping.

Not sure why but that's 1/2 the price I find them locally and more then normal on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-DS-18-Drawer-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B000AMADQY

One of those times amazon has to be losing money.

Just bought 5 with affiliate. Awesome find. I'd like to get a parts store come next year.

Buying on BL from Asia?

If a BL seller has a 99% feedback rating with several hundred ratings, would you hesitate to buy new sets or mixes from them? I know some sets from Asia come with some kind of label / sticker indicating its Asian origin. Does that mean anything more than that the set was made in China? I just want to make sure I am not missing / overlooking anything.

I've bought from sellers based in Asia on BL before. Feedback is my first concern - have others dealt with them, and do I have confidence that I can get my product from them.

As for the product itself - the only experience I have is with Mixels. I had a friend being one back from Hong Kong for me. I can confirm that there's a small sticker on it indicating its being sold in China/Hong Kong. If you look at the Mixels post, there's a picture of a Mixels pack from Hong Kong so you can see the sticker.

I'm curious if anyone else (as a seller) liked the older "Wanted List Notification" style?   I liked seeing the progress bar of emails going out as it felt very satisfying.  I believe it also said the total as well.    Now you just get an email confirmation that the notifications went out....

And although I don't have a big inventory on BL, I feel a odd correlation to less orders coming in since that newer notification system started...   I'm sure it's just my perception though, as there are a lot of factors that affect sales.

I preferred the old method, but am not bothered by the new one enough to think about it much. The email does tell you how many notifications were sent out. I am sure that for large numbers of items this is better, as you do not have to pause and wait for the process to complete.

I have experienced an uptick in sales recently, so I would not attribute your slowdown to this new feature.

• 2 weeks later...

First go to the BL forum and check all the reported cons of enabling it...

If you sell only sets it might be useful for you. If you sell parts it might become a pain in the... for you and your buyers.

For now I am steering away. If somebody wants a quote from me they are more than welcome to email me. 

First go to the BL forum and check all the reported cons of enabling it...

If you sell only sets it might be useful for you. If you sell parts it might become a pain in the... for you and your buyers.

For now I am steering away. If somebody wants a quote from me they are more than welcome to email me.

What would cause this to be a pain?

http://www.bricklink.com/messageThread.asp?ID=179993&nID=872305

Say a buyer places a quote in your store for 50 lots, you go and spend some time computing it, send the quote, before the buyer gets to see your quote response somebody else buys 1 one of the lots. Buyer accepts quote and gets an error. No way to complete the order with just the 49 items. No way to return the items back to cart. No way for seller to edit the quote. Buyer has to place a new quote/order for the 49 starting from scratch. A newbie buyer might get super annoyed or even more confused (BL is super confusing when you are new) even think it is sellers fault and go buy somewhere else

Say a buyer places a quote in your store for 50 lots, you go and spend some time computing it, send the quote, before the buyer gets to see your quote response somebody else buys 1 one of the lots. Buyer accepts quote and gets an error. No way to complete the order with just the 49 items. No way to return the items back to cart. No way for seller to edit the quote. Buyer has to place a new quote/order for the 49 starting from scratch. A newbie buyer might get super annoyed or even more confused (BL is super confusing when you are new) even think it is sellers fault and go buy somewhere else

I'm curious if anyone else (as a seller) liked the older "Wanted List Notification" style? I liked seeing the progress bar of emails going out as it felt very satisfying. I believe it also said the total as well. Now you just get an email confirmation that the notifications went out....

And although I don't have a big inventory on BL, I feel a odd correlation to less orders coming in since that newer notification system started... I'm sure it's just my perception though, as there are a lot of factors that affect sales.

I preferred the old method, but am not bothered by the new one enough to think about it much. The email does tell you how many notifications were sent out. I am sure that for large numbers of items this is better, as you do not have to pause and wait for the process to complete.

I have experienced an uptick in sales recently, so I would not attribute your slowdown to this new feature.

New method is definitely my preference, they could do about and change the font though as it looks half-cooked.

The old method was nice-to-have, but the site stops functioning (e.*** opening new BL tabs doesn't do anything) until all notifications are sent.

Just sold a $300 set thru Bricklink. Buyer has zero feedback. What should I do to protect myself? Insurance plus signature tracking? Does printing the label thru paypal make a difference to help protect me?

Thanks in advance..

First, concentrate on getting paid.

The ship it with signature confirmation and UPS Ground or USPS Priority with insurance. Buyer should pay for postage. If the package is international, ship USPS Express

Just sold a $300 set thru Bricklink. Buyer has zero feedback. What should I do to protect myself? Insurance plus signature tracking? Does printing the label thru paypal make a difference to help protect me?

Thanks in advance..

You don't need signature confirmation at that price, just a tracking number (delivery confirmation if sending through USPS) - if $300 is over your self-insurance comfort level, you can go ahead and insure it (I'd use third party, not USPS, as it's cheaper).

Printing the label thru PayPal makes no difference, just make sure you enter the tracking number if you use another service.

Who pays for everything (postage, insurance, etc.) should already have been outlined by you on your BL terms page.

First, concentrate on getting paid.

The ship it with signature confirmation and UPS Ground or USPS Priority with insurance. Buyer should pay for postage. If the package is international, ship USPS Express

Thanks for the tips guys.  I guess you were right to focus on the payment first.

I am still waiting for payment.  It's almost been 7 days, but with the holiday I can understand a delay.  No response from the buyer yet.  I sent them a follow-up email today to make sure they received the invoice.  Do you guys have any tips on how to handle a NPB if it comes to that?

Thanks for the tips guys.  I guess you were right to focus on the payment first.

I am still waiting for payment.  It's almost been 7 days, but with the holiday I can understand a delay.  No response from the buyer yet.  I sent them a follow-up email today to make sure they received the invoice.  Do you guys have any tips on how to handle a NPB if it comes to that?

There's a tab at the top of the screens named "Problem" - you can follow the prompts from there to file against the buyer.

I haven't had an NPB on BL so far, but I know they are more common for those selling sets and licensed figures versus parts.

There's a tab at the top of the screens named "Problem" - you can follow the prompts from there to file against the buyer.

Don't try to force a buyer to pay if he doesn't want to. That's exactly how many horror stories begin (lies, chargebacks, negative feedback).

If a buyer doesn't want to pay, just cancel and move on.