Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Apologies if it's already been asked (not finding it via searching) - but does anyone know if Bricklink Price Guide prices includes shipping costs?

Example: If the Average Price (sold) is $5 for a minifig, does that typically mean $5 total (including shipping), or potentially $3 price + $2 shipping?

I just want to make sure I'm accounting for the item price vs shipping cost = total price correctly.

13 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Apologies if it's already been asked (not finding it via searching) - but does anyone know if Bricklink Price Guide prices includes shipping costs?

Example: If the Average Price (sold) is $5 for a minifig, does that typically mean $5 total (including shipping), or potentially $3 price + $2 shipping?

I just want to make sure I'm accounting for the item price vs shipping cost = total price correctly.

No shipping is included.

35 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Shipping charges are in most cases posted on the seller's splash page, or their "store terms" page. Once you place our order for parts, the seller will invoice you the total order with shipping charge. 

2 hours ago, AirborneAFOL said:

If I get the question right: No, shipping is not included in Price Guide numbers. It is the selling price only that is listed.

• Like 1

If I get the question right: No, shipping is not included in Price Guide numbers. It is the selling price only that is listed.

Yep, that was exactly the question. I've been doing alot of cross referencing between sales prices on BL & Ebay, and wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples.

As someone who mostly parts out bricks & minifigs (exclusively on Ebay), I've been exploring if it'd make sense to shift some categories of inventory over to BL. Basically split my inventory across the two marketplaces, assuming there's a notable profitability differential in doing so.

The analysis I've been running so far (based on an admittedly small and niche category sample size) seems to suggest many of the collector-popular minifigure themes consistently average $1-4 higher on BL (which is why I came to wonder if BL was including shipping). Suspicious findings, given BL's lower fees should theoretically drive down prices a bit there. At this point I suspect there's just a fair bit of bad data (or my utilization of it) calculating into BL's price guide and skewing the averages. Could be any number of variables at play, but at least I can rule out shipping costs.

20 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Yep, that was exactly the question. I've been doing alot of cross referencing between sales prices on BL & Ebay, and wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples.

As someone who mostly parts out bricks & minifigs (exclusively on Ebay), I've been exploring if it'd make sense to shift some categories of inventory over to BL. Basically split my inventory across the two marketplaces, assuming there's a notable profitability differential in doing so.

The analysis I've been running so far (based on an admittedly small and niche category sample size) seems to suggest many of the collector-popular minifigure themes consistently average $1-4 higher on BL (which is why I came to wonder if BL was including shipping). Suspicious findings, given BL's lower fees should theoretically drive down prices a bit there. At this point I suspect there's just a fair bit of bad data (or my utilization of it) calculating into BL's price guide and skewing the averages. Could be any number of variables at play, but at least I can rule out shipping costs.

I think there's a reason why they sell for more money on BL: There is a certain "guarantee" of authenticity there, and people buying minifigs on BL are much better educated in the minifig market. Over on EBay there are a lot of counterfeits, and it is much more of a gamble - so you'll find parents/grandparents buy the occasional minifig there, but the real collectors will be cautious and much rather buy from a safer place like BL.

• Like 2

Maybe a part of the discrepancy is the captive audience that you have on bricklink. Sure, the people are more schooled in pricing and where to find stuff for sale, but it's more of a one stop shop. It's like the individual pieces. If you look around, you can find the same piece for a variety of prices, and you might not buy the lowest priced piece if you find a seller that has a higher percentage of what you need and is willing to ship to your location. People buying individual minifigures on bricklink may be wanting to pick up some various bricks and pieces that the ebay seller is not offering. They may also be offering a better selection of minifigure or be willing to ship to a specific country that no one on ebay is. People selling on Ebay tend to want the faster sale, whereas people with bricklink stores are willing to sit around and wait for the buyers to come to them. The lower fees don't necessarily translate into lower prices, maybe they just mean higher profits. Competition is lower on bricklink, after all, instead of a casual global marketplace, it's a more dedicated community.

6 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

I had a buyer place an order on Bricklink. It has not yet been invoiced. He writes me a couple hours later and wants to add an additional set to the order. Is there anyway I can easily do this without creating a 2nd order?

If the buyer simply proceeds to go ahead & add items to their cart as if it was a new order, Bricklink will automatically add the items as just another batch on the existing order (so long as the seller has not changed the status to packed yet)

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 3

Is it viable to just sell sets on BL? I'm new to Lego and have a full-time job where I travel and I have a family, so I'm not really interested in doing parts right now. I'm really just buying and selling to feed my hunger to build a lot of sets, but not turn my whole house into a Lego display case, while going broke. I have like 20 sets in my BL store, they mostly consist of complete, used sets with everything but the box. I have a couple new sets I got on clearance at Walmart, but I'm pretty sure they won't sell on BL b/c everyone knows exactly what everyone pays for them.  I posted 2 Obi-Wan's a couple bucks cheaper than anyone else just to see if I could induce a sale and get some feedback to get the 0% off my storefront. All the horror stories about EBay have me gun shy about using it and my CL listings are getting me nowhere, either.

Has anyone had luck with just sets?

The store name is "A Tiger Bricks" if you want to check it out  

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am like you with a full time job and just sell a few sets to invest a small amount of money.  (My wife is happy with the 50% CAGR or better).  It takes a while to start selling because of the lack of feedback so keep with it, and since it is not you primary concern you should not worry for now.   I think I have a bit more of niche as in the UK there don't appear to be many people selling just sets so maybe this has help me get started.  My suggestion is that as a side thing it is fine, and when you get a couple of sales then it gets easier and also I recommend you build up a buyer profile as that helps people decide.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody else having issues with the website? I can get to the main page, forum and my wanted list, but the other links just give me 

500 - Internal server error.

I just want to part out some Lego. :cry:

Managed to read the forum, site seems to be verrrrrry slow, so it times out most of the time.

Edited by Vodium

Ok, I apologize in advance if this has been covered (I did search):

As a seller, is there a way that I can view my inventory and see a side by side of current average list prices for parts, compared to my price?  

I list parts slowly over time and find that after a few months or so my pricing may be higher (or occasionally lower) than where I want to position my inventory in the market.

In that regard, I do this as a self-sustaining hobby so I try to price the majority of my inventory somewhat below 6 month average, with really common stuff on the low price range to keep things moving along.

I have seen the "Show Price Guide Info" option in Inventory, but it seems to do nothing...

Edited by Victorymike18

Okay, I've been on record saying I like the new Bricklink.  However...

I was a little frustrated yesterday.  I'm looking at my Want List for a particular set I'm trying to put together.  If I try to do a list by Color, Item Name, I'm getting minifigures first, and then colors starting with White.

Okay, so I change sort order from "Up" to "Down".  But instead of getting Black as the leading color, I get Pearl Gold as the leading color.  Umm...okay.

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Okay, I've been on record saying I like the new Bricklink.  However...

I was a little frustrated yesterday.  I'm looking at my Want List for a particular set I'm trying to put together.  If I try to do a list by Color, Item Name, I'm getting minifigures first, and then colors starting with White.

Okay, so I change sort order from "Up" to "Down".  But instead of getting Black as the leading color, I get Pearl Gold as the leading color.  Umm...okay.

I found some strangeness with the sorting algorithm too. It's extra steps, but try selecting a sorting method you DONT want to use, let it load, then click back to the sorting you DO want to use. I find it usually comes up correctly by dancing around it like that. Worth a shot maybe...? 

• 3 weeks later...

Question,

I parted out a few sets in bricklink and wasn't paying too much attention :(

Turns out I parted out one set and forgot to consolidate and thus merge the amount of new parts together with the already existing (and for sale) parts in my inventory. 

Is there any other way to merge than going through my inventory and deleting them by hand? 

I mean like an easy search function through my inventory? 

Probably not but can't blame a man for trying. 

Thx. 

7 minutes ago, BP said:

Question,

I parted out a few sets in bricklink and wasn't paying too much attention :(

Turns out I parted out one set and forgot to consolidate and thus merge the amount of new parts together with the already existing (and for sale) parts in my inventory. 

Is there any other way to merge than going through my inventory and deleting them by hand? 

I mean like an easy search function through my inventory? 

Probably not but can't blame a man for trying. 

Thx. 

1. download brick stock.

2. import bricklink inventory.

3. select all items in inventory

4. merge/consolidate items [ it will merge same items ] 

all done.. export inventory back to bricklink :D