Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

1 hour ago, betsy805 said:

Good grief, I just had 3 quotes and one PM about the same items overnight.  Apparently bricklink doesn't 'hold' items in quote status?  I can only imagine I'm going to have some unhappy people when only one of the quotes can go through.

If you haven't answered them yet - I would put a big disclaimer in the notes field/quote email back saying that a Quote does not hold inventory and that the price quoted is dependent on item availability.

Edited by Phil B

Guest betsy805

Good idea on putting that on my page!  I did mention in the quote note that the quote doesn't hold inventory, but I know I'd be frustrated getting a quote and then not being able to order.

BrickLink quotes can also disappear without a trace if any one item from the cart is no longer available (that's not a problem with BrickOwl quotes).

Instead, if a customer wants a shipping quote, my splash page and banner invite them just to place an order; they can always ask to cancel if they don't like the shipping rate, no questions asked! (so far, this has happened 3-4 times in 953 orders)

Brick stock question for you all:

I recently moved my operation to a new computer, and while I had no problem getting the newer, shinier model of bricksync up and running (thanks Stragus!) I seem to be having a malfunction on brickstock. I can only import and export set inventories... I figure I'm missing something critical in terms of an API setup or something, but I can't seem to identify where to enter the critical information...

So.... Can I just take that back? :)

It seems that immediately after I ask a question is when I finally figure it out for myself. Always resulting in extreme sheepish feelings! :)

36 minutes ago, 2x4 said:

Brick stock question for you all:

I recently moved my operation to a new computer, and while I had no problem getting the newer, shinier model of bricksync up and running (thanks Stragus!) I seem to be having a malfunction on brickstock. I can only import and export set inventories... I figure I'm missing something critical in terms of an API setup or something, but I can't seem to identify where to enter the critical information...

So.... Can I just take that back? :)

It seems that immediately after I ask a question is when I finally figure it out for myself. Always resulting in extreme sheepish feelings! :)

Can you explain ... I'm having the same issue for months already. Now I might be in more trouble as I am running my Brickstock on Ubuntu using WINE, but still - perhaps you have some insights for me ....

11 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Can you explain ... I'm having the same issue for months already. Now I might be in more trouble as I am running my Brickstock on Ubuntu using WINE, but still - perhaps you have some insights for me ....

On Linux, you can use the old native BrickStore executable, you just need to update the database file ( ~/.brickstore-cache/database-v0 ) from BrickStock (I never installed BrickStock, or I would post the web path to fetch it; it's in the source somewhere).

BrickOwl store owners (I see no BrickOwl thread so posting here): I had someone place a small order yesterday, but noticed that they paid less for shipping than I have defined in my cheapest shipping method. How is that possible? My lowest weight band is 0-200gr and it has a fixed rate - how could they get a cheaper rate?

I've emailed the folks at BrickOwl, but perhaps there's someone here who has seen this before or knows where this might come from?

16 minutes ago, Stragus said:

That's weird. You can fill up a cart or even place orders in your own store: check if your shipping methods behave as you expect. You may have made a mistake somewhere.

I'm not sure how it works, but the difference seems to be exactly the tax percentage I levy on customers from my own state. Tried it myself and see the same wrong shipment cost calculated. I got a reply back from BrickOwl earlier tonight and they asked if I didn't have something turned on that subtracts the tax from shipping. I have checked everywhere, would you have a clue where that feature is? I have a tax setting for my state, but nowhere do I see where it would somehow magically subtract that tax amount from the shipping cost for out-of-state purchasers.

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm not sure how it works, but the difference seems to be exactly the tax percentage I levy on customers from my own state. Tried it myself and see the same wrong shipment cost calculated. I got a reply back from BrickOwl earlier tonight and they asked if I didn't have something turned on that subtracts the tax from shipping. I have checked everywhere, would you have a clue where that feature is? I have a tax setting for my state, but nowhere do I see where it would somehow magically subtract that tax amount from the shipping cost for out-of-state purchasers.

Okay I figured it out. No clue how this ever got into my settings - would for sure not have picked this when I was setting it up. There is a dropdown field in the My Tax Settings page that says "Subtract this tax from prices for customers where the tax doesn't apply" which should have been "Add this tax to prices for customers to whom this tax applies" (I'm paraphrasing). Changed it so it should be good now.

On 3/6/2016 at 3:41 PM, Stragus said:

On Linux, you can use the old native BrickStore executable, you just need to update the database file ( ~/.brickstore-cache/database-v0 ) from BrickStock (I never installed BrickStock, or I would post the web path to fetch it; it's in the source somewhere).

Ok I tried this. Brickstore can update from Bricklink on its own, but it's not accepting my BrickStock registration key. Will try the database file from brickstock to see if that perhaps helps.

16 minutes ago, kingleonidas said:

damn, got scammed, ordered some stuff and the guy sent me a photo of the lego sets

That's why you want to check the ratings of the sellers first, avoid these with sub-10 seller ratings with prices too good to be true. Check the splash page, loads of useful info. If the seller didn't put any time and work into the presentation for his store, for me it's a first red flag. Doesn't necessarily mean a thing but if I see that the page is well-done, then it speaks about the character of the seller, how detail-oriented he is, you can surmise that he'll treat your order with similar attention to detail.

Also, you find a good seller with decent parts selection, with whom you had smooth transactions before, stick to him, even if he's not absolute cheapest. Do not be penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Good luck, do not get discouraged, lots of honest folks there! And do not forget to report the scammer to Bricklink, weeding them out improves the overall trading climate! :)

Edited by Vinetu

3 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

That's why you want to check the ratings of the sellers first, avoid these with sub-10 seller ratings with prices too good to be true. Check the splash page, loads of useful info. If the seller didn't put any time and work into the presentation for his store, for me it's a first red flag. Doesn't necessarily mean a thing but if I see that the page is well-done, then it speaks about the character of the seller, how detail-oriented he is, you can surmise that he'll treat your order with similar attention to detail.

Also, you find a good seller with decent parts selection, with whom you had smooth transactions before, stick to him, even if he's not absolute cheapest. Do not be penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Good luck, do not get discouraged, lots of honest folks there! And do not forget to report the scammer to Bricklink, weeding them out improves the overall trading climate! :)

yea, its not a new account, did request for photos of the sets which was sent , hopefully i am able to claim back through paypal

Okay totally puzzled by this one on BrickOwl: Customer buys 7x 6x12 plate. Total weight 67gr. Easily fits in a #0 bubble mailer. Parts cost ~$4. Instead of selecting my First Class mail shipping method for ~$3, she chooses my Priority Mail option that clearly states "use for >1lbs only" and pays $13 in shipping. Perhaps she wants it fast? There was no note or comment indicating she needed this immediately etc. I'm just going to go ahead and ship this priority and pocket the profit - did mail BrickOwl about it though to see if there is something I can do to make that Priority Mail option only kick in when the weight is bigger than 400g, but for now that seems to be impossible. I guess this is a case of "Just do what the customer wants". Anyone any thoughts on what might have been her motives, or can confirm they've seen something similar happen?

2 hours ago, kingleonidas said:

yea, its not a new account, did request for photos of the sets which was sent , hopefully i am able to claim back through paypal

So you requested photos of the set, got photos, then placed the order, and they never shipped? Or did they ship and send you a box with photos in it? Or what happened exactly?

2 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

Priority flat rate padded envelopes are your best friend. Holds about 20oz and ships for $6.10

Yep - going to add that option.

I've had my Bricklink store for quite awhile.  But I've only ever offered shipping to US addresses.  I'm considering opening it up to International.  What should I be on the look out for?  Is it difficult to start shipping internationally (e.g., am I in for a headache?) or is it pretty easy?

I've had my Bricklink store for quite awhile.  But I've only ever offered shipping to US addresses.  I'm considering opening it up to International.  What should I be on the look out for?  Is it difficult to start shipping internationally (e.g., am I in for a headache?) or is it pretty easy?

Very easy. A lot of international buyers use post forwarding services. If they have good rating I don't care if it is their default paypal address. First class international is anything under 4 lbs usually. I usually stick with those and don't ship the big sets. I would guess 30-40% of my BL sales are international

Also first class international is a one page customs form you print at home, the big sets it is 4 pages

29 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

Very easy. A lot of international buyers use post forwarding services. If they have good rating I don't care if it is their default paypal address. First class international is anything under 4 lbs usually. I usually stick with those and don't ship the big sets. I would guess 30-40% of my BL sales are international

Also first class international is a one page customs form you print at home, the big sets it is 4 pages

Hmm...well, maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it works.  My biggest problem is that I'm selling mostly sets in my BL store right now.

/Phantom edit: I got an inquiry from a customer in Italy, but just noticed they have no feedback.  I'll pass on them for now.

Guest betsy805
1 hour ago, newbie77 said:

for international postage is it acceptable to use "paypal shipping"?

if so, what do you select? is that large envelop? it seems like price/postage is lot different vs. usps online. how do you handle that?

Paypal doesn't offer first class package service yet, I usually order those off usps.com and then copy/paste the tracking number into paypal.  The large envelope is for non rigid, uniform thickness papers and such.