MOD NOTE: Non LEGO Topics

I believe you all may have already have said it would but I just wanted to register a vote please please please keep the non lego toys investment thread.

If there was only ONE non Lego thread that could remain intact as is that would be it and to not have all the other stuff piled into it.

Any other non Lego thread I could live with whatever you all want to do with them (500 threads into one or ten whatever).

Respectfully.

• Like 1

i'm with you 100%.

here is how i look at it this is ed and your website about Lego products. both of you established Brickpicker because of your "love" for Lego building, investing, and memories.

i've been a member since the Fall of 2012. it does seems we had far more consist constructive and thought provoking posts before 2014 when there weren't as many non-Lego posts. when i go on other well-established forums, i see far less BS related to "other" and "non-" topics.

as ed mentioned and i'll spin that a tad, already ample portion of mod time is devoted to non-lego threads. some folks need to remember this is a LEGO web site. why should mods and non-mods waste time discussing why ammo, Ferguson, politics, Target TMNT pricing errors, etc... posts were deleted. it's a waste of time for everyone involved and gets folks confused about the rules.

while it seems nearly everyone participating in the BP forums are Lego fans, i think too many are consumed by non-Lego toys, deals, products, etc...

finally i think some folks here would be far better creating Twitter and Facebook accounts for their non-Lego toys, deals, products, etc... chit chat. i also find it very surprising some folks are using the BP forum as their main non-Lego social internet outlet.

I and any others completly understand we cant and won't talk about everything you mentioned above. That ship has sailed. We get it and understand. But that's in the past. The other topics are what people are talking about.

The other toys thread is one if not the most followed thread here and though I have no data to back up my claim but I'd bet brickpicker makes the most or close to the most revenue from that thread.

I don't think most people use this as there main socal outlet and if they do good for them. It's a good place. And I've made friends in real life from this site.

Also as far as new threads being made. The biggest one I see is new users creating a hi I'm new to the site thread as opposed to using the one that has been in place for years.

Fantasy baseball thread - tons of feedback and it brings the BP community closer. 18 people. Signed up and add to turn others away. And all established posters here including mods are in it. With great lego prizes..... That I'll buy using a brickpicker affiliate link. Everyone wins.

Edited by hxckid88

In the end this is the Macks business and we are their customers. The mods are here to help the Macks maintain their vision and goals of what they want Brickpicker to be whether we agree or not. I feel we are quite fortunate that the suggestions brought forth for site improvements are acted on in a very timely manner and taken seriously. How many can say their place of employment does that, definitely not mine.

Now we are being asked to help them by showing a little discipline in our participation in the forums which is totally fair. I'm also guilty of posting not so appropriate comments forgetting that kids are more than likely reading the comments here. I have made a personal effort to not post just for the sake of posting or repeat what has been posted 15 times before.

This comment mindbender made is 100% why I am here almost everyday and probably 95% of the members here.

I came for the Lego talk but stay for the whole package.

This is the reason why I offered to get @rtison some of those CMF series 13 at 40% off (if they haven't been picked clean already), reghostx emails me when he sees a good deal he thinks I would be interested in, or I pm'd Seapotatoe about the RIs when they were finally back in stock when the were super hard to find before Christmas.

Hopefully I'm not out of context making this suggestion but to add to that quote, I would love to see something like this added to the brickpicker home page "Come for the Lego, stay for the community" or a modified version because, well, it's true!

While the current solution is already implemented, I'd just like to throw in that although I have nearly zero interest in non-Lego topics, I do believe there should be a place for them, and the people who do want to chat about cars, fitness, JJ bobble-heads, and the like. That's the key, though - a place. Not "everywhere".

With the current layout of the home page, I feel strongly that the best way to limit and contain this stuff is to exclude it from the latest topics column. That little tool is marvelous, and as many others have already stated (and far more haven't), I use it very heavily to determine what I am going to spend time reading on any given site visit. Laziness is some of it, but it also tells me what is "going on" in the biz. There are many threads I am subscribed to but only because I found them originally on the latest topics hot spot. When half of the topics are non-Lego, though, I miss out on some of what was discussed (and important to me) an hour or two earlier which would otherwise be sitting there obviously waiting for me to read. Again, call me lazy, but this is a functional issue regardless.

If it's not too difficult to filter non-Lego threads out of there, then bingo - people who like them still have them, and can subscribe or (oh no!) actually navigate to the appropriate place to engage. Meanwhile, it doesn't "pollute" the site for those of us who, respectfully, don't want anything to do with that stuff.

Not only that, but every new member or viewer who shows up would then see only Lego discussion right off the bat, making a better impression of what this site is really about. If they find their way to the local non-Lego-land and join up there, great. But at least no one gets the idea that this is a "Lego site" where people just post about anything and everything when too many of those topics happen to be "hot".

Edited by Grynn

While the current solution is already implemented, I'd just like to throw in that although I have nearly zero interest in non-Lego topics, I do believe there should be a place for them, and the people who do want to chat about cars, fitness, JJ bobble-heads, and the like. That's the key, though - a place. Not "everywhere".

With the current layout of the home page, I feel strongly that the best way to limit and contain this stuff is to exclude it from the latest topics column. That little tool is marvelous, and as many others have already stated (and far more haven't), I use it very heavily to determine what I am going to spend time reading on any given site visit. Laziness is some of it, but it also tells me what is "going on" in the biz. There are many threads I am subscribed to but only because I found them originally on the latest topics hot spot. When half of the topics are non-Lego, though, I miss out on some of what was discussed (and important to me) an hour or two earlier which would otherwise be sitting there obviously waiting for me to read. Again, call me lazy, but this is a functional issue regardless.

If it's not too difficult to filter non-Lego threads out of there, then bingo - people who like them still have them, and can subscribe or (oh no!) actually navigate to the appropriate place to engage. Meanwhile, it doesn't "pollute" the site for those of us who, respectfully, don't want anything to do with that stuff.

Not only that, but every new member or viewer who shows up would then see only Lego discussion right off the bat, making a better impression of what this site is really about. If they find their way to the local non-Lego-land and join up there, great. But at least no one gets the idea that this is a "Lego site" where people just post about anything and everything when too many of those topics happen to be "hot".

that would be fine on the non investing non lego threads but not on the "What non-Lego toys do you invest in or collect?" thread.  That thread is one of the busiest threads and a lot of people make good money off that thread which they in turn use to spend on more LEGO (myself included).  Kind of defeats the purpose to potentially hurt further LEGO sales by not keeping that in the latest topics page on the home page.

I am one who doesn't use notifications at all and just scrolls at the latest topics and click on the ones that interest me.

If a topic falls off that latest topics and I want to catch up or post I then use the search feature.

• Like 1

Fantasy baseball thread - tons of feedback and it brings the BP community closer. 18 people. Signed up and add to turn others away. And all established posters here including mods are in it. With great lego prizes..... That I'll buy using a brickpicker affiliate link. Everyone wins.

I am glad you like this thread and we know people utilize it. But I can't tell you how many times I came close to dumping it :)

that would be fine on the non investing non lego threads but not on the "What non-Lego toys do you invest in or collect?" thread.  That thread is one of the busiest threads and a lot of people make good money off that thread which they in turn use to spend on more LEGO (myself included).  Kind of defeats the purpose to potentially hurt further LEGO sales by not keeping that in the latest topics page on the home page.

That topic will remain as is.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Has brickpicker been hacked?

When clicking on "view collection" inside of brickfolio it has taken me here a half dozen times.

http://<bad url>/premium/brazilian-virgin-hair.html?alpsm=true&sms=sughot&aff_platform=aaf&sk=JYNzzbIiI%3A&cpt=1428718775164

NO ... please read this topic.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/13728-lot-calculator-and-ali-express/

You've been visiting Ali Express .. that's a real scumbag website for hijacking browsers!

(PS To anyone reading this, please stop posting the hyperlinks.)

• Like 1