Star Wars bulk lot: neat trick, or scam?

Zihuat

I have a newbie question, regarding Ebay selling "good practice" and the time-honored notion of WYSIWYG. I found the following on Ebay, and I bit to the tune of $63 + $12 shipping. Look closely at the photos and description:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301499756669?_mwBanner=1

It arrived in a timely manner, and was packed okay (a couple tiny parts dribbled out of the blister wrap and were laying loose in the box, but nbd). I've been wanting to try the "buy used-but-incomplete" thing just for kicks, so this was my chance. Now most of you BP'rs--by looking at the rather crappy photos--can see that the ship on the far right is missing it's wings and canopy. Some (me included) saw the instructions for 4502 X-Wing, and Yoda's hut above it, and assumed the partial ship was that classic X-wing that Luke plowed into the pond on Dagobah in The Empire Strikes Back. Cool!

Not. What it actually turned out to be was a 7143 Jedi Starfighter, sans wings, canopy, and the gear mech to swing the wings.

NBD, I really wanted the Imperial Shuttle most of all, and it--like the other items (exc. the above one)--was complete except for a few minor parts I was able to pull from bulk stock. To be sure, I'm happy with the purchase (3 lbs of stuff to make 5 complete ships plus a Yoda hut), and will not leave negative feedback.

However... a couple questions are raised about the seller's tactics. 1. Despite qualifying it as "what you see is what you get'," isn't it a little deceptive to park a manual for something that isn't included below the partially-hidden fuselage of what might be mistaken for that ship (next to the hut that came with that set)? 2. Should you really title the listing "7 Real Lego Star Wars Ships" when it's actually 5 1/2 ships and a Yoda hut? (Note: The Droid escape pod isn't really a "ship" but I'll give them a pass on that one, lol)

Please, no lectures about caveat emptor; as I said, I'm new at this, and happy with what I got :)

I don't know if I'd go so far as calling it deceptive.  I think they were just trying to maximize the apparent value, which you will see all the time on eBay.  In my experience, you do better with unknowledgeable sellers than ones that think they know what's in a lot.  The "here's a tub, I don't know whats in it" auctions can be fun. Although they tend to have more clone bricks because sellers don't know that all "legos" are not Lego.  Since you are happy with this lot, I'd just let it go.  If you keep buying, you'll have some wins and some meh's.

Did you get what was in the picture, nothing less, nothing more? If you didnt get something that was represented in the pic, then I would be upset, but to presume you were going to get more  or something else that wasn't in the picture is not wise on your part. 

If everything arrived that are in the pictures, right? Sounds like it did from your previous statements. Then there isn't anything wrong with this auction. Yes, the seller used a very vague auction description but that is the risk when buying an auction like this.

In the future, always assume the worst when bidding on auctions like this one.

Thread is now locked.

Thanks. All true (though I only asked if it was "a little bit" deceptive). Any BP'er worth their salt could've looked close and seen the incomplete ship was something other than 4502. I didn't--my bad. You gotta love that imperial shuttle though :) Sexy, sinister, yet not gun to be seen...