5/31/2015: USPS to increase prices

At least priority mail packages are not going up.

Wonder what this means for fedex smart post? 8-10%? Since fedex uses usps or no I ncrease at all?

After Christmas and dimensional increase at FedEx I have been going more and more with fedex smartpost for non regional priority mail shipments under $150 in value like across the country where priority is too much.

I like adding insurance on other options and you can't with smartpost but if you ship enough packages you can pay for a potential damaged or lost package with the savings x a lot of packages you ship.

I did not see it that way for the longest time but have started to. Still use priority for anything regionally close or when it comes out economical.

Parcel select was to be an big alternative for UPS Ground and Fedex Ground/Smartpost so that 8% is not insignificant.  I haven't sell much in the new year yet but have been analyzing the impact of the dim weight pricing since UPS Ground/USPS Priority was the combo that worked for me before.  I've switching more towards a USPS Priority/Parcel Select combo in the few packages that I sent.

Fedex isn't really an option for me since it's so far out.  Do they do pickups for Smartpost?  Waited, actually, do UPS and Fedex charge for pickups?  UPS have a hub about 5 minutes away from where I live so I would have liked to use them but can't really considering their costs now.

Edited by newbiecollect

Very smart on there part keeping priority the same and no dimensional. They will see a large boost in revenue. Hopefully they can keep up with it. I've been on UPS strike in a way and have dropped UPS bill from 2k a week to about 750. Those little mail trucks fill up fast though.

First class does suck as we use a lot of that as well. If its the 5% increase that isn't to bad. If it does the 22% increase that last line of the article states then i can see priority taking over that eventually which is what i think they want all along. They've already basically eliminated parcel post as the rates are higher than or close to priority for a god awful service so i could see them continually raising first class to where you use padded envelope or small flat rate instead. Will affect sales on cheap items is you are paying $5 instead of $2. At the same time a 10-13oz one would raise closer to the flat rate fees if the higher fee is implemented

Parcel select was to be an big alternative for UPS Ground and Fedex Ground/Smartpost so that 8% is not insignificant.  I haven't sell much in the new year yet but have been analyzing the impact of the dim weight pricing since UPS Ground/USPS Priority was the combo that worked for me before.  I've switching more towards a USPS Priority/Parcel Select combo in the few packages that I sent.

Fedex isn't really an option for me since it's so far out.  Do they do pickups for Smartpost?  Waited, actually, do UPS and Fedex charge for pickups?  UPS have a hub about 5 minutes away from where I live so I would have liked to use them but can't really considering their costs now.

No fedex office stores near you? (Formerly kinkos)

With increased price and increased users of their services (ie. former small businesses clients of UPS and Fedex), USPS better not beg for another increase in subsidies :P

This is going to hurt some wallets

Still need to subsidize 1st class. You think it costs $1.93 to send a 3oz package anywhere in the USA and its territories? Go check how much UPS or Fedex charge to send a minfig to Guam.

I was losing $ big time until i DEselectee shipping to territories in my ebay profile. Noob mistake for sure.

This month ive used mostly usps whereas i used mostly smartpost before the dimensional fee switch.

Who knows in the next month.

Still need to subsidize 1st class. You think it costs $1.93 to send a 3oz package anywhere in the USA and its territories? Go check how much UPS or Fedex charge to send a minfig to Guam.

That could have been easily covered had USPS stopped subsidizing those damn mails from China.   :nono:  

Canada Post starts at about $11 for a tracked bubble mailer. In comparison, it costs about $13 to ship a research institute with tracking. (within Canada)

They don't get subsidized by govt and they also have been losing money. I doubt any subsidy the postal companies might be providing to China's postal service would change that but it would be nice if they tried.

brutal.  at least domestic priority isn't increasing.  ouch about international prices increasing.

i just shipped a 17.0lb 25x15x8 package from the East Coast to Oregon (biz address).  I had to include $400 insurance and signature delivery. UPS considered it 19lb billable.

Ended up going with UPS Ground since it costs $31.70 compared to $53.10 (US Priority).  UPS considered it 19lb billable.

luckily my buyers pay for postage but it stings.

• 3 months later...

Bumping the thread to remind everyone of the new USPS rates starting on 5/31/2015:

Per ebay announcement:

USPS® TO CHANGE RATES ON MAY 31

The United States Postal Service (USPS®) will be making changes to the pricing of their mailing services. Rates in some categories will increase, some will stay the same, and others will decrease. The new rates will take effect on May 31, 2015.

USPS customers will see a slight rate increase in First-Class Mail®, Parcel Select, Media Mail, USPS International services, and others.

Here is a summary of the average price change, listed by category.

Priority Mail – no changes
Priority Mail Express – no changes
First Class Packages – +5.1%
Parcel Select – +8.0%
Media Mail – +2.3%
First Class Package International – +7.2%
Priority Mail International – +6.8%
Priority Mail Express International – +6.7%
USPS Tracking for Media Mail is now free

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2015/05/usps-to-change-rates-on-may-31/?_trksid=p3984.m2301.l3955#sthash.j7p0aSad.dpuf