Lego Technic Race Truck Redo??? 42041 / 8041

Folks,

I'm confused, and it may just be my old age. I'm guessing someone already did a topic on this, but regardless here goes:

In 2010 Lego had a final discount run on the Technic Race Truck 8041. I think they discounted them down to $29.99 or something very low and I was able to pick up a large lot of them, maybe 70 kits or so. I've been selling them on Ebay for well over $100 and someone just points out to me today that Lego re-released the exact same kit as Technic 42041.

Argh! So for all I know this re-release has been out for a while and I just didn't notice. But I had been steadily flipping my 8041's for more than triple what I paid and then sales just died... go figure...

So I'm no expert, but I've been selling since 2009 and I can't ever recall Lego re-issuing a kit a couple years later and just slapping on a new product #. I haven't actually seen the new kit up close, but I was told that there are ZERO changes or updates. (Can someone confirm?)

Also, if this is indeed an anomaly for Lego, does anyone know why they re-issued the kit?

Thankfully I have only a handful left, but just wondering if they are planning to re-issue a bunch more old kits?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!

-Rob

Folks,

I'm confused, and it may just be my old age. I'm guessing someone already did a topic on this, but regardless here goes:

In 2010 Lego had a final discount run on the Technic Race Truck 8041. I think they discounted them down to $29.99 or something very low and I was able to pick up a large lot of them, maybe 70 kits or so. I've been selling them on Ebay for well over $100 and someone just points out to me today that Lego re-released the exact same kit as Technic 42041.

Argh! So for all I know this re-release has been out for a while and I just didn't notice. But I had been steadily flipping my 8041's for more than triple what I paid and then sales just died... go figure...

So I'm no expert, but I've been selling since 2009 and I can't ever recall Lego re-issuing a kit a couple years later and just slapping on a new product #. I haven't actually seen the new kit up close, but I was told that there are ZERO changes or updates. (Can someone confirm?)

Also, if this is indeed an anomaly for Lego, does anyone know why they re-issued the kit?

Thankfully I have only a handful left, but just wondering if they are planning to re-issue a bunch more old kits?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!

-Rob

Looks like only some slight part and sticker changes (the wheels, axles, and sticker on top of cab). This is not normal. The good news for you is the new retail price is $10 higher.

Yeah, I mentioned this a few weeks back. It could well be a way of testing the water regarding reissues by using a less popular theme.

Up until now we have seen a lot of rehashes of SW ships and Technic Cranes which are variations on a theme but this is the first real reissue I am aware of.

I definitely would not rule out them bringing back the first couple of modulars at some stage down the line - simply because it

Probably just a one off. Could be a real game changer if they did it a bit more. Green Grocer in a fancy new creator box for 159 would cause a panic. 

OMG!  A re-do Green Grocer, Statue of Liberty or UCS Falcon!  There would be rioting in the streets...

Seriously though, what other kits has Lego done this to?  Someone mentioned that this has happened before, but I'm not sure anything changed in this one except the number.

What other specific kits has Lego done this with?

Someone said that there are some tiny changes, so I need to look again.

Seriously, my concern is that this could be a way that Lego Group could try to undermine the Secondary Market.  I know they could never fully succeed, but if they periodically re-issued popular kits in the 1-3 year later window that would be exactly when most of us are selling ours and that could be a real game changer.

Anyone else have any intel on this?

Thanks!

-Rob

Looks like only some slight part and sticker changes (the wheels, axles, and sticker on top of cab). This is not normal. The good news for you is the new retail price is $10 higher.

Ok I see the changes.  I would venture to guess that because these are SO subtle, they were probably just changes due to a new mold for the rims and the older mold was no longer used.  (6 lugs versus 3 in the older version.)  So minor that the kits are the same except for a couple tiny details.  

Yeah, TLG doesn't care that much about us. If they profit enough from something, they'll do it. That's it.

Black Falcon's Fortress. 6074 and 10039. 

Fort Legoredo. 6769 and 6762.

Rapid River Village. 6763 and 6766.

Sheriff's Lock-Up. 6764 and 6755.

Black Seas Barracuda. 10040 and 6285.

City Corner. 60031 and 7641.

Wow, they didn't even change the box art aside from removing the Limited Edition graphic and moving the 2-in-1 graphic to the bottom.

It's a pretty cool set though, it's on my "I think I want it" list.

* Edit .. I see the background changed slightly, and it's a picture of the new truck with the modified wheels, but really it's the same box design. *

Edited by gregpj

Early SW sets like the first x-wing and the y-wing & tie-advanced sets were each re-released at least once.

Yes. But no changes to the model its self. There it was just the box art.

Im not a big Technic builder or investor, but out of all of the sets, this one never really caught my eye. Im curious of what the appeal of it is and/or why Lego decided to re-release this one rather than another technic set.

I was shocked to see that technic #8041 from 2010 is being re-released in its exact form under the set #42041. They couldn't even print a new sticker sheet with different graphics for it? They both are #52 with what look like identical or nearly identical graphics.

I am not aware of this ever happening in the modern era or with a set larger than a few pieces.

I am wondering: Is this Lego testing the waters to see what kind of reaction they get? Can we expect to see re-releases of high-dollar, highly sought after sets such as Modulars, Creator, etc?

They could really hurt some collectors if this trend continues. If someone could buy a Cafe Corner or Carousel again brand new from Lego for a few hundred bucks, trust me the values of the originals will plummet. This set might not be the most sought after set of all time but the fact is it was retired and normally that would be the end of it.

Your thoughts?